cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

House plans coming along

The plans are coming along but we are still waiting for the go ahead from the bank.  I just got done emailing the appraiser some questions that he had for the preconstruction apprasial.  He wanted to know what kind of floors and bathroom fixtures and kitchen cabinets/countertops ect.  I have no idea...we haven't even looked at that yet.  I almost bought a kitchen faucet if that counts but I'm waiting!!!!  And it's so hard to wait!!!!!  If all goes well and we can start digging in a couple weeks we'll be in by early October.  We did make some changes to the floor plan and now the laundry room is connected to the master closet and bathroom as well as accessible from the hallway.  I don't want to lug laundry across the house I decided.  I'll figure out a way to get the plans attached and you can all take a look and give me some ideas. 

13 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: House plans coming along

There are so many things to consider. I understand why you altered the laundry, sounds like a better plan and why you have not picked out the other things as there is always new items coming out and new styles.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Love the laundry connection idea...you have thought out a lot shead of time. Avoid making changes once you start, as much as humanly possible. Change orders add up $$$$$!!!!!

Other thought I have is pantry very near entry...I wore out Mike and Winn today, bringing things in from stockuo trip. We were bringing things in, putting others into the truck for Jenna's house, splitting some packages to spread out in both houses.

Winn was more interested in eating than helping, but he actually helps a lot now! Wednesday, I had him practicing his counting, putting TP rolls in bathroom cabinets, other supplies where needed. He really thinks we cannot do anything without his assistance.

Enjoy your homebuilding. One suggestion I offer is to build a (yes, again!) binder of infkrmstion to refer back to. Paint colors, carpet brands and styles, tile names and sources, etc. You think you'll never forget thjs stuff, but it is a LOT of details....

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm so tired of making selections.   I'd be perfectly happy to let someone else do it.    Don't go for the cheapest options all the time.   You will pay for it down the road.     I'm excited for you.    

Was thinking yesterday  Tom's family is not a move at a whim family.   Got a call yesterday from his oldest brother.  He is retiring in May and they just bought a house in Green Bay,   Going to be 5 blocks from their Daughter.  In  5 years  all Tom's brother's and sisters have moved.   Including us... even if only across the yard. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the binder idea!  I have a folder right now that has all the bank information in it but I like the idea of moving it to a binder that I can then seperate into the different rooms as well.   I've been looking at more and more ideas but to be honest until the shell is built and I can visually see some of this stuff I have no idea what we are going to do design wise.  We are making everything handicap accessible inside the house and I'm going to see what we would need to do to make it that way from the garage as well.  I think the only problem with the handicap part will be the counters because they will be a little higher then normal.  I'm long waisted so a normal counter doesn't feel right, it feels too short so I'm raising the counters about an inch to 1 1/2" over normal height. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A new house is exciting and I know you have waited for it. Maybe you need some help as it sounds like you cannot visualize. I found that very common when I had a decorating business.  Can the builders help?  You may need to talk to a decorator when the house is ready for furniture etc. I don't think the counter height is a big deal as I use a stool if I tire standing and when I used a wheel chair I could still wash dishes.

The records of all purchases in a binder will be appreciated in the coming years.  As will the handicap accessible doors and toliet etc.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Usually, accssibility isnt an issue for everyone at once. Cabinets can be removed, retrofitted and accommodations made, costs some but nit brakng the bank...but structural stuff like doorway widths, bathroom fixtures that require replumbing, etc., can get to be $$$$$$ issues.

Definitely yes from the garage...do not want a disabled person trying to maneuver in ice and snow. Saw a family fail to do that access once, and even in our mild clmate, it put a teenager with severe burn injuries out in rain and worse, to get in and out of the house. Even makes it hard on a healthy person with a knee injury or a foot problem...and we know someone with those issues, don't we!?

I really like keepng a notebook on a big project..for examle, Todd may be reall opposed o certain folors in the master suite...make notes, collect paint swatches,, etc. i agree with Suey not to buy the cheapest, but top notch gets $$$$. An example is I settle on a color of door hardware, and stick with it throughout the house. Am partial to oiled bronze and brushed nickel...don't like bright brass at all!

i have made more mistakes than I can count. Thinking and talkng about the posdibke pitfalls ahead of time can help.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sounds like it's coming along well.  How exciting for you.  But I am like Suey, when we remodeled I got so tired of making decisions.  And usually they would want an answer "now".  Mistakes are made easily that way. 

Personally, I would want another washer/dryer near the mud room for all the farm & really dirty clothes.  My laundry room looks like I could bale it sometimes after hay baling, no matter how they brush off outside.  A friend has old set in their basement for the farm clothes & new set upstairs.

but each household is different.  At this time of year I want central air -BAD - and it is so expenisive in a house the size of ours with hot water heat.  If I ever move it will high priority on my list.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Linda, I don't knkw how your house is configured, but we had a similar issue with central air and Jenna's house. There had always bern windkw units in a couple of kety pkaces, which was just butt-ugky, but necessary.

With water radiators, you have no ductwork. We opted to try these new mini-split zones AC units. You have to deal with them mounted on the walls, up high, but they do let you have AC in a central way, without blocking all the windows.

Essentially, the coolant is piped to eah one, and then out to the unit. Bigger houses can use bigger units, or multiple units. They can be heat as well as cooling, which can be nice for us, as a backup. That can be nice fkr us, if we get snowed out of this place for a few days...keeps the pipes from freezing if the boiler burns out of wood.

Not for everyone, but it's a thought.

Also, agree titally on the decisions made in haste part. Largely why .i suggested the binder. If you have thought a bit of thus through, it helps avoid that spur-of-the-moment choice, that you regret later.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have seen those-neice has one- but DH is dragging his feet on it.  I still am going ahead with someone looking at our house for an estimate I think they would filter out more allergens.  I have been having tremendous headaches and the doctor thinks allergies instigate.  Went to an allergy doctor last year in off season.  Said I didn't have much.  Cannot understand that as I have always tested violently to ragweed and seasonal stuff in the past.  3rd day of migraine and a little better, but always is in the a.m. 

Cannot remember if I posted that DS#1 is in the hospital-is scheduled to finally get out today.  5 days.  And the company I spoke of coming to see Brian is definitely coming & bringing their 40' camper(?) to stay in.  But their mom/dad (aunt/uncle) will be coming also and will probably sleep in our recliners.  At this stage, I'm fine.  They pitch in and help a lot but it is still extra people around so I may head to the doctor's today for headache.

My mom's neighbor, who is a bit younger than she is, fell yesterday in her garage and hit her head and did damage to vertebrae in her neck, cracked a few ribs, (diabetic) and will be in a nursing home.  Not only am I upset at her injuries, I will also feel it (selfishly) that she will not be there to for the few times she drives mom to church, social, etc.  Poor thing.  She is a spunky retired nurse and always a fighter so I hope she can recover to her former self.

0 Kudos