cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

How do,you choose products?

Going shopping our expectant daughter yesterday was a fun day. We started out with mani/ pedi at my favorite salon, then had a nice lunch. She did a baby registry at one store, found out another does them only online now, and we got our Sam's lists for the time being done.

Watching her select items with the electronic registry scanner was amazing to me. Then to think many stores have moved beyond that to e- registries only was making me feel like a true dinosaur.

Do you remember that we had to actually write things down? Salesladies called from store by telephone to check other stores in the chain if something was out of stock in your local store. If there was a print catalog, it showed up in the mailbox for spring, fall and
Christmas, and you pored over it to see what was in style, and if you ordered it, you had to mail in your order with a check.

Now, we had an associate check stock from a handheld device, since his store was out of carseat I had offered to buy. We decided not to drive that many more miles in that trip, with the item available online with free shipping anyway. I have been sitting this morning, reviewing seats on several websites, finding widely different prices and information on just this one specific item.

As with most of my online buys, I find my slef gravitating to the consumer reviews...people nitpick enough in these opinions to give you some very minute details that you would never know, until you hit the same snag yourself. I usually read the best and worst reviews, sometimes the mid- rated ones. The truth is almost always somewhere between the extremes anyway....

With this carseat, it seems to matter a lot what size car you are trying to install it in, as to whether you love it or hate it. With a pasta machine I was considering the other day, there were enough " it is junk" reviews, with reasons why, that I decided to wait and look longer.

With music, we almost always have either heard the artist on TV, or listen to samples online, before buying. Exceptions would be
favorite artists making a new release...those can come un- previewed. Books are the same for certain authors, or I spend quite a while reading consumer reviews.

I guess it was partly watching our daughter select things for her child that made me consider this question. She had done a lot of research, had formed definite opinions about what was good and not good to buy, and thus showed me that she is an educated consumer. At several points, she commented that she had discussed decisions with her husband, and that tney had selected things together.

So, having done a thorough job pf researching the requested czrseata this morning, I now which sellers can deliver it from an online purchase. I know from our trip yesterday which one had a markdown in the store, and I have to decide whether to point and click, or wait and see if I decide to go to a different city later this week, and check in stores there. The only thing I do not have to do is actually pick the item out, which is, frankly, the hardest part, given so many choices available now.

When you have a purchase to make: how do you get information, how do you choose, and how much trouble do you go to to get it?

The variety of items and attributes of each one makes it harder and harder to do the first two, but online and other electronic options make it easier to drop the hammers on a purchase decision now, I think.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: How do,you choose products?

I do a lot of online checking like you do on so many products. Some I like to try out for myself in the store, such as laptop computers. Right now, I don't even want to go to the stores. After getting chores done, I'm just bushed. Why drive in the heat when the product comes to you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I just scheduled my first " pick and pull" online order at Sam's, for that cabinet I have been eyeing. Freight on over 300 pounds would have been cost- prohibitive, not to mention dealing with whether or not they have liftgate service, so I am willing to drive for a guaranteed in- stock item, pulled and waiting for me.
I hope to pick it up in a day or two...will receive a confirmation email when it is pulled. This at least saves a lot of phone calls and sitting on hold.

My next hope is that this club has Swiffer duster pads in stock...I looked at a 10- pack at Lowe's today, and they ran eighty cents apiece, much higher than in the bulk box I am accustomed to buying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I make most of my small to medium purchases online so I rely a lot on on-line reviews.  That would include clothes, small appliances, etc. 

For large purchases I try to use locallly owned stores and shops even if it costs a bit more....my washer/dryer, dishwasher, sofa, kitchen island and camera purchases made in the past year all came that way.  I just do not like patronizing big box retailers if I can help it.  Just my own small statement about our local economy.  I also do on line research and Consumer Reports research for large purchases. 

If the opportunity presents itself I always ask for friends' recommendations. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Definitely would pick up large purchases that require high priced delivery. I was surprised once that a heavy product didn't cost as much in freight as gas. Gladly ordered it shipped. It doesn't hurt to check that out before assuming anything. Also make certain that Sam's Club puts the cabinet into your vehicle. That stuff is not light.

Sam's has been changing their inventory a lot lately. Was looking for some oil there and it's not there anymore. Once they're out, they're out until the next order comes in. Did you check on it on the click n pull? It should have it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The bulk of emails come to the office desktop, and I just got one that says my workbench is picked and pulled.  I was planning to go tomorrow, and clean house today, but it is early enough to go today and then be here, in case my roofers show in the morning. 

I did not ask for my food storage canisters and Swiffer pads to be pulled, but I did check to see that they are in stock.  I have decided to get some Rubbermaid food trays - the clear plastic ones - to store lettuce leaves and cold cuts in the fridge.  Need a few more for various types of flour and the several different sugars I use in cooking, too. 

Biggest aggravation for us is the mysterious missing duct tape at some Sam's.  We use a lot, taping up electronic controls with plastic bags in the hog buildings when they are washed down and disinfected.  Crucial.  I like the stack packs at Sam's, but some clubs just do not seem to have it in stock, ever. 

I see a lot of stores going out of stock on items with fuel so high. Yesterday in Lowe's there was a lot of shelf space with storage containers, lids closed to take up visual space, stacked. You usually only see this at store startups - so people think the store is fully stocked, even when some items are not in the rows yet - or at season ends.  It is a bit early for end-of-summer shortages in stocking to me.  Usually, stuff is clearanced and maybe segregated in one area, so next season can be stocked. 

Notice this when you go shopping in the next few weeks. 

I think delivery days are being spread out all over, don't you? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We just don't have any small local retailers left, it seems.  About the best I can do is patronize the local florist and the secondhand shop I've written about here.  We are hiring a number of local repairmen, though...electricians, plumbers, adn roofing company.  At least that is something. 

0 Kudos