cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: How neat are you?

Dear Linda....drop some of the load you have been carrying on your dear cousin and see how neat her house is in one month.  Just my two cents FWIW. 

Advisor

In spells, I will watch an episode or two of "Hoarders."   I got fascinated with this disorder when I took Psychology last year.  It is a very intractable disorder, hard to work with and even harder to "cure."

One aspect of this whole issue that Suze Orman and Peter Walsh both sort of come at from different directions is this: Suze says debt weighs you down physically, and Peter says your stuff that progresses to clutter will manifest itself in excess body weight, too. 

I would say in the people I've known, that may or may not apply.  I think that a chaotic life may show up in lots of ways at once. 

Organization is important in the ways it frees you up to do fun things...not as a be-all and end-all in and of itself.  That is, organized habits are means, not ends, in the effort to enjoy a happy and productive life.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

My house is always picked up and eveything in its place. I dust every 3 days, since we know living on a farm gets more dust in the house.  I mop the floors every night and vaccum every other night.  We have two bathrooms that I clean each morning for the new day to come.  I never let laundry pile up even if it is just a small load.  I iron the sheets and all of my husbands shirts....slapp...slapp...uh..what...who woke me up???  Oh it was all a dream...lol my house too is the lived in look Smiley Surprised)

S.

Senior Contributor

Sundae, you got me. I do know women in the Mennonite community who do just that. I know another woman who is married to a farmer who never cooks anything but dusts every day.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I can be a neat person

ESome days I am, some days I am not.

I think you find your own comfort level of neatness with yourself and your spouse and friends.

I just tried to edit this post and wiped out a lot of text.  That wasn't too neat.  I am still using LuAnn's computer and the OS has a lot fo hot buttons associated with it I am not used to on my own computer.

If you read it fine, if you didn't you didn't miss much.

It is hard to retype a good message but this was the jist of it and a v;ery good subject, one we all deal with.

Ed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: I can be a neat person

Ed, the thing that seems most frustrating to most people who are not "naturally neat" at everything they do is the selective nature of neatness. 

Anyone who walked into my classroom when I taught school would have expected my home to be very pulled-together.  Administrators always commented upon my adept organizational style.  I would have died a thousand deaths if any of them had showed up at my door at home, and witnessed how I fell apart inside those four walls.  

I tried for years to figure out why I could get it together away from home, but not at home.  The closest I could come was that I'd always been held in fear of "what will people think?" growing up.   

A corollary was the performance issue: We got graded as teachers during our formal observations, didn't we?  Having to be the best in school carried over in this aspect in adult life.

You referred to LuAnn's ability to get over her over-concerned-about-cleanliness upbringing.  Evidently, she didn't rebel totally out on her own, but I can tell you that my dear husband did. 

He is wonderful about putting most things away now, but not so much in our early years.  I just had to get wise enough to his ways, and build systems that accommodated his level of willingness to help out. 

I alluded elsewhere on this thread to melding two styles into one household, and also mentioned that you two had gotten together later on than many of us had, so probably had more deeply-ingrained habits.  It is a great testament to your love and respect for each other that you have made adjustments to each other's needs on this account. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Your just too funny!!  I was falling into it!  But you know, those of us who have a "life" do not have time for excessive cleaning like that!  I know you probably live in the barn in the spring and the car/truck up and down the roads the rest of the year!  When I get home from work, I do not like to spend several more hours cleaning.  My weekends seem to be filled with shopping trips to the grocery store for us, my mom and my MIL.  I keep thinking we need another day trip, but I guess it won't be this weekend again...busy weekend for us with the cattle show.  (no calves to show, but DS is on the show committee). Hope it goes well and nobody has to be pulled out with a tractor like last year.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I got left out on the tree on neatness somewhere Kay.  Just ask LuAnn!

But we have a neat farm.  Very neat and tidy.  She always says you take care of the outside, I will take care of the inside and we do it.  But sometimes I leave the inside a mess.  Can't I do both?  Can't I be a mess somewhere?

As a farmer, I can't leave a mess anywhere.  Everyone is looking.  But can't I be a mess somewhere?

It is in my upbringing, though dad's farm wasn't a mess nor was grandpa's 

Mine is neater but they had livestock, I don't.  I think crop farms have no reason to not be neat.

As a person it varies from here to there.  There are many houses I have been invited into I can't stand.

I am not sure what the definition of a neat house or person is.

Is a man with a beard neat or not?

If it is trimmed up  I say neat.  Others are not.

Ed Winkle

0 Kudos
Advisor

Ed, Ed, ED!   You proved my point...

As for beards...Mike's goes back and forth between trimmed and Wild Man.  I sort of like Wild Man better....

0 Kudos
Advisor

That fantasy reminded my so much of another mom in the bleachers at a church softball practice one night, when our kids were all in grade school.  She started complaining that with her kids home all day in the summertime, she had to clean their bathroom three times a day. 

The rest of us looked at each other like "Is she NUTS?"  I nearly fell off the bleachers, I was laughing so hard. 

Her husband ended up leaving her, when she threw a fit for him to disconnect the generator from the farm (where it was being used to make their living), and bring it to the house, so she could vacuum a perfectly (compulsively) clean house. 

Cleanliness may be next to godliness, but too much of a good thing can get you dumped!

0 Kudos