cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

How secure is your place?

This has become more of an issue, with property crimes on the rise on our region. I guess we rake the attitude that stuff is stuff, insurable to a point.

We get into discussions about just how much security we are willing to deal with, since it can be a pain where you sit. Our daughter's house has a speaking alarm system, which beeps several times very loudly and announces which door has been opened. I can see why they want it, given his swing shift schedule, and now a toddler who us learning to open door. It drives me nuts....

We have varying degrees of alarm system/ security camera/ locking and coded entry stuff at each place. Am sure it is all only able to discourage low-level dummies...a real thief would have no trouble circumventing any and all of it. We do maintain a gun safe, where most of the weapons are kept. Anything small and expensive can be tucked in there.

I guess our best defense in Carolina is a pack of scary canines. People just tend not to get out of their vehicles when they hear and see them in the yard.

I really do not lock our vehicles in the yard at either home. I would never leave keys in one, unless it us a keyless entry one, where the doors are, of course, kept locked.

We live a far cry from the way we did as kids, when everyone's door was always open. I remember a day once where the bank 12 miles away was robbed. The culprits escaped law enforcement, and went into the woods near our neighborhood. Everyone was told to secure against them breaking in. My father had to nail the kitchen door shut, because it had never had a locking door-set on it.

Talking with Mike about this made me wonder:How secure are your home and farm?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Suey73
Advisor

Re: How secure is your place?

Not secure at all.   Suffice to say  I won't say just just how easy our place could be.   About 10 years ago  we had about 300 gallons of gasoline stolen from on our supply tank and never heard a thing.   The tank was 100 ft. max from our bedroom.    We figure the dog at the time probably brought out some of her toys for them to play fetch with her.   Now days we try and lock it on the weekends, when we leave or when gas gets extra high.  

One thing.   We only have one working gun,  no flat screen TV's, no laptops, no Iphones, no Ipads,  no jewelry worth anything.  We don't usually have much cash on hand.   Things of value here are:  food, meat, tools, field machinery, and field chemicals.   I do have over 200 DVD's  but most would not be considered worthy by the theiving crowd.   My flat screen monitor and Blue Ray would be their only wants. 

We are thinking of getting a driveway alarm and at least one trail cam to see what happens when the lights go off,  We know we have some very unsavory characters not too far away.    I think they kept riding there 4 wheeler by constantly during the summer months trying to figure out our schedule.   We don't have a schedule, except for church on Sundays.  But, I figure they are sleeping off Saturday night during Sunday AM. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The schedule thing is the key point, I think. We have a regular schedule, but it gets irregular without notice fairly regularly, Even SIL's plant swing schedule is subject to him being called in to help solve problems, fill- in, etc., as he has become their go-to guy.

There is virtually always someone on the place, and several vigilant ( nosy) neighbors right across from the end of our driveway. Cameras are a lot of fun, if you REALLY want to see what made that bump in the night.

We don't dress showy, drive showy, or live in a showy house. Maybe the riffraff think we aren't worth the trouble.

The mystery car that bolted out of Jenna's yard last summer, while I was here, very much alone, was unnerving enough to get us alarmed for several parameters. How fast the sheriff's department would respond is a question mark...it is five minutes to the office.

Only fuel we keep is off- road diesel, unless you count LP. Our dogs give the decided impression that they would as soon have your liver for supper as their kibble, if you happen into our yard. Mike is kind of spooky-looking, too, and people cannot read him the way I can...he is a softie, unless you fool with his family or his animals.

I do not see how anyone can truly secure a farm, much less an old farmhouse, do you?
0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

I'd say our security is the public.  We are right on a well traveled state highway.

We don't lock the vehicles, in fact the keys are always in the trucks.  Don't lock the house.  Right now all we have is one elderly dog, who does bark, but isn't menacing in any way.

Suey mentioned the gas tank.  Ours is part way back on our property and pretty much hidden by the barns.  You kind of have to know they are there, probably wouldn't notice them too much driving by.  The people we bought the farm from said they had them up in front of the buildings and did lose gas.  They had moved them behind the house, but we moved them further back during one expansion.

I had to laugh at my husband one morning last fall.  I got up  in the morning and there were 3 sets of truck keys on the kitchen counter.  During the late milking shift (I go to bed about the time that shift starts) one of the employees mom called to say there was a report of someone escaping from the sheriff and making their way  from the north down the road  that joins the highway we are on about 1/4 mile from us.  So hubby brought all the vehicle keys into the house.  Didn't lock the house, but he brought the keys in from the vehicles.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Did you know which keys went where?

I think you are right about the public view helping you out quite a lot...that, and having employees coming and going. I have wondered if a lot of robberies aren't inside jobs, though...was one reason we resisted hiring outside ( non-family) help for so long, I think. Most of the time farmers e knew lost fuel or stuff like tools, it was their own, sometimes it was family members.

Our big hairy deal is the pigs belonging to someone else. There have been whole semiloads of hogs stolen out of buildings. Kind of dumb, when there are tattoos on them, but that doesn't keep some dummies from trying.

We keep inventory, but it depends on the serviceman counting them right at delivery...and most of them miscount at least occasionally. It can get to be an issue between sending and receiving farms every so often....

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

Last night we were up unusually late due to an afternoon nap.  That waiting to get planting sure can wear you out but thats another story.  Anyway, around midnight Ed went up to bed and I stated Id be right along.  He wasnt up the stairs 2 minutes when the storm door to the porch overlooking the barnyard slammed shut as if someone had walked right into the kitchen.  

Sable went ballistic!

After my heart stopped pounding we quickly decided to check the motion detecters and nothing had come on.  Sable settled as quickly as she startled so I was comfortable that no one was outside.

With all the interior doors deadbolted and undesturbed we figured maybe the storm door just wasnt caught and slammed shut in the breeze.

Our security system has many layers but the final barrier between us and harm is 90 pounds of teeth, muscle and fur that sle

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

sleeps at the foot of the stairs.  If they get past her the gun is loaded.

0 Kudos