cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Humiture v wind chill....

This week's forecast is for several possible record high temps. Nineties every day for the foreseeable future. Coupled with the humidity in the air, we are hearing already about " humitures" over a hundred. YUCK!

It seems just a few weeks ago that the weatherman was waxing poetic about record low wind chills. With the wood boiler keeping us cozy, that wasn't as worrisome in a way. Thank goodness we got the new AC installed last week in the rear of the house.

Mike says he can always add layers to stay warm when it is cold out, but you can only take off so much when it is this hot. This
may be good haying weather, but it is hard on the hogs...they eat and grow better in cool weather.

Looks like no matter which extreme we are having, there are advantages and disadvantages. Arthritis is better when it is warm, but it feels so nasty to train and get all sweaty,and then walk out into a steam bath, and get even sweatier.

At least the snakes and mosquitos are hidden away in wintertime. That may be enough to tip the balance in favor of wind chills v humiture for me. How about you...which term would you rather hear on the evening news?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Humiture v wind chill....

Once we don't have hogs.... I'd rather hear wind chill.  Come to think of it.   As long as all the pigs are in confinement buildings... I'd rather hear wind chills.   They still grow when it is cold.  No fun to make them come out of those buildings to load them  also,  they don't stress out from wind chills when  loading and hauling.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Humidity v wind chill....

I have always thought that it is easier to keep warm than keep cool. In winter I can add lots of layers but in summer I do not handle humidity and high temps well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Just caught the thirdntemp alarm call since lunchtime today. It is only two-thirty, so I will surely be stuck by the phone this afternoon. Mike is already getting testy when I call him to check the system.

We test these alarms 52 times a year. They are a PITA, but have been a totally necessary aggravation. I hate the high heat.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If you were just including temperature and not precipitation, I can handle the cold temperatures better than the humid ones. Hot and dry days are not bad either. That's less than 50 degrees dewpoint. Including precipitation, I would be better off if it stayed in the 50-80 for high range. Outside of it is either stormy or ice/snow possible sometime during the day

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Since we don't have livestock, I will take the heat and humidity over the wind chills any day.   

The older I get the harder the cold temps are on me.  

I HATE to have to get out of the house on a cold morning. 

I have already put in for the month of February off so we can go somewhere, anywhere, that there is no snow, ice, wind, or freezing temps. 

0 Kudos