cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I H Famly

Yep, that's whats on our license plate.  When we sent in the request for our personalized plate The PA Department of Transportation telephoned our home.  Brother, when I saw the caller ID I couldn't imagine what they would be calling for. "Ah, hi, this is The Department of Transportation.   Is this Susan?"  the voice on the phone inquired.   "We received your request for a personalized plate and before we approve your plate request we need to know what it stands for" said the lady. I proudly told her we were a farming family who was hugely big into International Pulling Tractors and the sign stood for International Harvester Family.  The next thing I heard was roaring laughter, and not coming from one person, but from the whole department.  "We thought it stood for I Hate Family and wanted to call just incase we were wrong before we rejected it" she cackled.  Holy Smoker!  Two years later we are still laughing . . .

Got something interesting on your license plate?

What's your plate say?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: I H Famly

Nothing that open to interpretation. One with farm name and another that has a second company name, with an X to substitute for KS, the last two letters of the word, which would not fit in eight spaces.

Daughter has TRNNBRN, for " turn and burn" the motto of a true barrel racer.

Youngest sister once had a fancy new IROC-Z, which she paid for in cash. She wanted a plate that said so. Her car, her idea.

The state had already issued every version of PAID 4, so I came up with " I O ZERO ". That worked great, until a guy who wanted
to chide her a bit taped a tail on the O, which turned the phrase to "I Q ZERO"... quite a different effect.

One of my favorite diversions when I am stuck on a stretch of I-95 Is to decipher plates. Some are very creative.

We are an IH family, too. Even our barns are made to match.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My daughter has a Cattleman Care license plate.  A cowboy holding a baby calf.  It is just the "icon" that is beside the number.  I will probably get one someday too.  We are an IH family too!  My motto is "Born and Bred Red"!  My son is a member of an IH collector club and my DH and DS go to alot of shows.  Just bought DS a very nice red cowboy style shirt to wear...don't know if he will wear it for senior pics on Tuesday or not...gonna sit by his tractor!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: I H Family

Ruby Lou - never heard that saying before.  You just gave me a topic for our supper table tonight.  It seems to me that this is true around here, well, at least in our family also.  I don't believe there has ever been any other color of tractor here on this farm's dirt.  We keep the old H for the grandkids to pull at our county fair every year and she also still gets plenty of work in the fields.  As the children have grown up they've purchased their own red tractors (both for pulling Farm and Hot Farm Stock), and are most likely thinking of future additions for field work.  The grandkids are dreaming of purchasing their own red tractors some day.  We are looking forward to the day when their red tractors are delivered to the farm.

For me there is just 'something' about the sound of an IH Tractor. Her motor is distinct.  Even with a turned back a Red is easy to recognize.  Are any of you ladies savvy mechanically enough to know why this is?  This girl definately isn't!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This farm runs on John Deere.   We do have one small blue New Holland tractor and the planter is a Kinze.   It keeps the JD  dealer honest.   He can't assume that we only buy from him,  since he knows we've been to the other dealership to get parts. 

Illinois made specilized plates kind of expensive about 20 years ago.   I've got SB 590(590 means nothing) till I die.  My daughter paid for U I HOG   when she was majoring in Swine Management at The University of Illinois.    I thought of getting BI PORK or PIK PORK once  but decided I had better use for the money.    My favorite was one of the teachers at school had  60 HOGS.   In between they had taken a marker and put $ .  So it read  60 $ HOGS.    .  To them it meant because of $60 hogs we were able to buy this truck.   I'm sure if a cop wanted to be ____ they could get a ticket for defacing the plate.   But,  it was only a fine marker and I'm sure they had to redo it occasionally.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Don't know much about IH tractors, but can tell when an older JD tractor is near. The large two cylinders make a distinctive sound.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Just love the sound of tractors.  JD and IH have their own distinct sound.  Never paid much attention to any other makes.  Suppose anyone with a keen ear and years behind them in farming might just be able to identify of all them blind folded.  Gotta just love them!!  I mean where would we be without them!!  Oh, I know the answer to that question . . .

Do you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I sure know where we would be. I certainly remember when we did things the hard difficult way without tractors and tillers etc. When we began raising hogs and even when we began with turkeys we did every thing without much power so we really appreciate tractors.  We now have a very small JD tractor that is used in the garden and a larger JD for big jobs plus a couple of large JD mowers. We use these for all kinds of jobs. DH is cleaning up old metal for scrap sale and tearing out some old hog lot fences. Jobs like these would be so much more difficult without our JDs. I know this will seem a very small deal for big farmers but we can't do without these JDs. (It helps to live beside a dealership)

0 Kudos