cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

I don't know how I get by day to day

I only help DH here and there in the farming operation, working cattle, drive grain cart, moving the guys to a new field etc. but one of the jobs I have been doing the last 5 years or so is hauling anhydrous tanks, usually by myself I might add.  Well monday things weren't quite fit so he helped me take a couple back and bring some to the field.  All these other days I don't know how I did it myself!!  He told me I drove to fast, to slow, how to back up to the tank, how to turn, how to weigh, which tank to get, how to stop....you name it I didn't get a thing right!  It's a good thing I have him around lol

S.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: I don't know how I get by day to day

I am a little ticked myself this morning. (I had decided not to comment but..) We were adding a tv outlet to the sunporch and the first man unplugged the bedroom tv, my tv,  over a week ago. Finally a guy came this morning early. I have always made the phone calls and talked to people such as this. Now since I was in the hospital DH seems to have decided this is his new job, no not making the phone calls just talking and giving instruction. He does not always make himself clear in my view or maybe it is just the difference in how men and women talk?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sandy, it takes quite a woman to hook up and unhook those wagons and get them safely where they belong! I commend you for that.  One year I worked for our local coop hauling NH3 wagons, because I had to do my dad's anyway.  I swear I was so scared everytime I went down the highway.  I am sure I got wagons in the wrong fields!  One time that sticks out in my mind is when I had to take a wagon up a long lane and park the danged thing at the top of the hill...it started rolling when I unhooked it.  I threw a wooden fence post under the wheels before it got too far.  I carried a 2 x 4 with me to hold the tongue's up.  I am no good at backing up to things.  Much less backing things up!!!  Keep your head up, you really are appreciated...he must have been having a bad day anyway!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sounds like my husband and me.  Had the occasion a while ago to ride with him when he pulled the feeder wagon to the other farm for the heifers.  He ended up telling me that he does it every day with no problems without me along.

I am a terrible passenger.  I was so bad for a while that I almost couldn't go anywhere if I wasn't driving the vehicle.  Don't know what caused me to freak out like that.  Seems like it started about the time the kids started getting licenses, but I don't think that was the cause.  I think it was a control thing because life was so out of control for me back then.

Good new is can be a passenger for anybody now except my husband.  If we go together I do the driving almost all of the time.

Now I need to vent a little

Seems things are spiraling out of control around here again.

Hoof trimmer showed up this morning and no one knew he was coming.  Hubby says after talking to him he vaguely remembers a conversation involving a hunting trip and opening day of hunting, but nothing was written on the calendar that it's suppose to be on.

I finally put an alarm on my phone about the payroll taxes because he'd get the figures from the accountant but forget to give them to me to pay.  He can't write a check for them anymore and won't learn how to do it online so I make the payment when he gives it to me.

Small details.  The one that is concerning me this morning is the somatic count on the herd.  Quite frankly neither one of us checks it on a regular basis.  Feed man called yesterday to say there was a higher count.  He sees the information when he checks production which they are following closely right now after harvest.  So I spoke to the herdsman yesterday.  She said she hadn't seem anything and no one else has brought any particular cow to her attention and no one has mentioned anything to me.  The other milkers wouldn't talk about mastitis in a cow with my husband.

So I checked to see what the next day's count is and it was even higher.  Just showed it to hubby and he actually told me not to worry because the herdsman has it covered and that I was just sticking my nose in.  I saw purple.  Because I know for a fact that with the last cow (now sold) that caused a jump in the count at least 2 of the milkers never ever understood what and where her real problem was.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Isn't it amazing how we manage to get along without the "menfolk" somedays.  LOL  BTW--the 2x4 cut to the height of the pickup hitch was a Godsend when I used to haul tanks at my old job.  Made it so much easier to back up and hook up by myself. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thank you for a good laugh this morning. It has gotten so I wonder how I even get my shoes tied, for all the help I get some days, too. My advisor is miserable with a back issue right now, so indoors more and available to assist me more...I had two hard ciders AND a glass of wine last night, to celebrate this good fortune....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This is why I never learned to drive a tractor or help with much mechanical on the farm.  Of course, we have our little acreage custom farmed; not big enough to afford equipment and neighbor is so reasonable.

Drove to Peoria last week for DS's MRI and I can understand what you mean.  Even though DH hates to drive in the city, he constantly monitors my driving.  Grrr.  I do have a problem getting sleepy but I made the same drive alone yesterday & had no problem with being groggy.  Of course, I was steamed on the way home.  I had a 2 p.m. gyn. appointment and never saw the dr. until 4.  She's very patient & talks to patients, but by the time I saw her I really couldn't even remember my questions.  Good thing they took my BP first-I probably would have been heading for the hospital! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You mention control. That is exactly what all of this amounts to, bottom line.

I think the worse they try to control us, the less they are willing to listen, too. Today, I finally had to make a decision not to engage Mike's grouchy mood. I just brought him back by the chiropractor, encouraged him to ask what steps come next, and kep my head down.

After that, I went outside with Winn, while the two farm gurus got a troubleshooting repair done. Five hours of raking leaves, gathering pecans, climbing rock-piles and digging in the sandpile, and feeding cookies to the pup were good for my soul.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Wow!  it is a wonder you were ever allowed to drive anywhere.     We are doing anhydrous too right now.   I don't mind one tank or 2 empties.   I really don't like 2 full ones.   My husband never wants to buy  equipment with enough power.   I have a light weight  4x4 pickup and it has a hard time  pulling 2 fulls up the hills.    When he has time he'll help me hook up and put 2 empties together.   He's had his hands full learning how to run the new  striptill anhydrous bar he bought... with ezguide steering ... and a tractor we've only had a few months.    It has been plugging alot and he's been frustrated.    I've been trying to keep everything else taken care of.   Looking forward to a rainy day  this weekend. 

I do all the driving whenever we go  any place.  He is too busy farming and can't keep a constant  speed.   We recently got a  "Garmin"  makes finding places, in strange areas  hassle free.   ie  fewer fights. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

My wife used to help me more when she worked parttime. I liked working with her and always told her that she never looked better than when she was in a combine seat! Everything she did was absolutely fine with me, 'cause i like the help. I hauled most of my anhydrous tanks myself this fall. Oh, and one side by side 1500 gallon tanks are enough for a 3/4 ton pickup on flat ground.

0 Kudos