cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

I know this is small stuff but...

...a storm flattened my garden tonight.  It ws prbably the prettiest garden I have had in years thanks to a lot of rain and agressive weeding on my part.  I wanted a nice garden for the Leadership Institute picnic. With the picnic in less than a month it is too late to replant plus it probably wont dry out for a week given our forecast.

I am bummed.

Compared to the issues farmers everywhere are facing....drought in some places and LOTS of rain making things miserable in others, my garden is small stuff.

Just had to vent. 

If you are curious about the damage, check out my FB page....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: I know this is small stuff but...

That's too bad.  Our's hasn't been completely planted.  Raspberries are going good but those stupid Japanese beetles are terrible.  When you drive the car they are snapping onto the windshield continuously.  Sounds like hail storm.  Maybe some sun will perk up some of it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I do understand your thoughts. DH had to do the planting alone since I could not walk in the soil. He did it differently than I would but we are getting vegetables. The first sweet corn was planted too early and started to tassel at less than a foot and was destroyed. The second planting was blown down three times but it is too early to tell if the pollination will happen as it should. It looks okay. Pole beans have still not set on due to the hard rains. And ours has weeds.

I hope your garden recovers in time for the picnic.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is hard to tell the extent of the damage from the photos. You might consider taking out was really destroyed, and doing a bit of succession planting in its place. Not as much of an eyesore, or production loss, that way.

It is plenty in time to stick in some pumpkin seeds or fall gourds, and they would have some size on in a month, wouldn't they? Can you do a late planting of sweet corn? They double-crop it here in NC...may work as a late season setting there. A second crop of summer squash would fill in pretty fast, too. If you have kept up on weeding, it s a shame to let those beds and rows go to waste so late in the year.

Just some thoughts. it might be an opportunity to take the garden further into fall...

Am sure your guests will understand, if they are gardeners themselves.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I had a little garden just in the field last year, weeds over took it...This year I planned a nice spot to have my garden year round and started working the soil and clearing grass and all last year.  I planted things that are to come up every year, it is nicely weeded I am 100% proud of myself......DH...were putting up a new shed...guess where its going Smiley Surprised( right where my garden is, at least I have until Sept.   I am hearing your vent loud and clear

S.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I would hand a man a spade, and let him move those perennials, then! Might want to tie some marking ape r set bright flags on tht needs to be transplanted. If he is building a shed, your topsoil could be relocated to a new garden spot, too. This is what loaders and blades were invented to do....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't think your garden is small stuff.  Anything some one invests a lot of time and effort in is never "small stuff".

I don't remember what the leader institute is all about; but if they are agriculture related your messed up garden is good witness to the power of nature that farmers must deal with.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think that shed will need some flowers around it!!!! set them aside in pots or another area and replant them on the perimeters of the shed!  I decided to put my garden to perennials too.  I have so many that are overgrown in other area's of my yard so I am dividing them. Although I weeded my iris/peony patch and put down newspaper and mulch, only to have a flood through there within days.  So now just stragely newspaper sticky out. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I know and I appreciate your noticing it.  It is not small stuff when you have worked so hard and something out of our control destroys it.  We have had our share of crops like that over a lifetime.  Crop insurance these days does help but it is still hard to see a beautiful field of corn shredded by hail or wheat flattened or beans flooded.  Even the insurance check doesn't completely take away the hurt when you have nothing to harvest.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

A garden is a sort of microcosm of farming...with all its pleasures and disappointments. I feel for your lost effort, the energy that feels " wasted" when you look at the broken and battered plants.

I guess my best supportive advice would be like what I said to Linda, about giving up the cows...in times like that, all you can do is focus on who and what is left standing. Few thing are a " total loss", no matter how bad they look at first glance, right after the storm.

You do SO much... It reminds me of what my very gifted Aunt Lu used to say, when her family's flooring and cabinet shop customers urged her to start selling wallcoverings and paint as well: it is impossible to do everything and do it all as well as we want to do it. I honestly do not know how you pull off so many activities, all at the level of excellence.

For example, when your Mom needed appropriate care, you didn't stop at a handful of phone calls, or even 59 of them, you persisted, and made sixty. Most people wouldn't think of their family food plot as a part of the leadership conference " decoration", either.

The hardest part for some of us to accept - the operative verb of my existence for the past year now - is the things that lie
outside our control. You cannot stop the wind from blowing or the hail from falling. All we can do is deal with what's left the morning after. My two cents' worth....
0 Kudos