cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

I'm back

Hi everyone-just a quick note to catch up.  My internet was on the fritz from these wild storms.  We're still finding damage to buildings, etc. and I'm trying to catch up on emails before I lose out again.  That's the joy of having a satellite dish on top of the 2nd story!

Saw the ATV victim on TV Ruby.  Sure a tragic way to get your town on the news.  So sad.

And I'm registering to vote for the community deal.  And those fires are sure scary and hard to believe as I "squish" across the yard.  (wish we could send you some of this rain)  And I do read & care about everyone's posts.

I was at doctors for x rays on sinus problem yesterday, DH had colonoscopy today, (OK), and then this afternoon my mom had a problem with confusion.  She's had a pain in her head lately & I think it's time to see the doctor for it.  Wouldn't go to the ER.  BIL finally came to do dry wall in DR.  Had to move the china cabinet so I now have dishes in DR, office & hall and dust everywhere.  Didn't know it held sooooo much!  Oh, did I mention I'm having Easter dinner?!  So, life's back to normal here-CHAOS!   The fed. inspectors came while I was at hospital.  Don't really care what grade we got at this point.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I'm back

You are a busy woman!  Sometimes I wish I didn't work away from home and I could take better care of those amongst me.  I always worry that something I did or didn't do will harm someone that I am careing for because I don't have the time. 

Seems like we all have caos in our lifes right now.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Welcome back! 

Linda, I haven't had a cigarette in 20 years, but every time I read one of yoru updates, I find myself just jones-ing for a smoke!  It just makes me nervous hearing about all of it.

So, will the drywall and painting be done by Saturday, or are you all planning to use the plates where they are stacked now? 

Hope your Mom's okay...sounds a lot like the TIAs Mike's aunt had many years ago.  It took several episodes before one lasted long enough to get her actually loaded onto the ambulance and to the ER for treatment.  Not to be played with....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Linda, I have to add this thought:  Son called from VA yesterday.  We still have a list of projects for him here, but always tell him to save our work for when he's got a break between jobs eleswhere.  He has figured out that he may have an opening in about three weeks, given what he's go lined up as of now, mostly due to one good client being on an extended vacation.   

We have had to move one need we were unaware of when he was here last, that I found when pruning and cleaning up outdoors about three weeks ago.  We have one corner where water has come down and damaged siding, plus some termites got into that soggy wood.  We've treated for the chewers, but the siding has got to be replaced for about four feet of that wall of the bathroom/laundry room.  Whole side will likely need to be re-done.

After talking with son, Mike and I sat down with a couple of estimates for a new window that I gathered in town yesterday, since we had no natural ventilation in that room as it was originally built 14 years ago.  We decided to replace the Zoneline heat pump presently built into that wall with a simple AC unit. No need to keep installing units that cost $1500 apiece, when a $350 window AC will do, now that we heat with wood, and have put a radiator for that system on a different wall. 

Son says he can do tearout and frame-in in a single day, leaving us closed in at quitting time.  I think it will take him maybe two more days at most, to address window install, AC install, siding on a 14-foot wall, and all of the interior finish work.  We will probably spread this out for a M-W-F "workweek," since their drive here is so distant from his home.  Wost case, unless we find more extensive damage when we start tearing out,  I figure a fourth partial day. 

This is hope we work, even on a back burner with our son.  I have to ask:  Has your BIL been that busy elsewhere?  I know you were every concerned when this project got started without your direct input last winter.  Does he always work over this protracted a timeline?  Is he just piddling around, or using you guys for a fill-in?  As in our example above, there is no reason for such a simple job to take this long...too bad you can't fire family!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I had to take her to the ER last night at 10.  She had gotten to her usual state & decided she should have gone to ER and so off we went.  She said a full rosary out loud on the way over; only stumbled on a couple of the mysteries.  So, she was pretty much normal when we got there.

Blood work & CT scan showed nothing.  This morning she was OK & went for hair appt. The operator called me when she left saying she was having a little trouble articulating.  After checking her I agree but not like yesterday.  Of course the dr. is out for the Easter holiday.

I think I'll wait it out & check on her through the day.  If she gets worse I'll take her back.

Guess my next stop is at Google for TIAs.  I don't know that much about them. 

I have a terrible headache.  Getting up early for chores for DH's colonoscopy & then back through the same doors for mom-getting home at 12:45 a.m.  Not as young as I used to be.  Lord, that would have been a normal Sat. night when I was 20!! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re:window

Yes he has another contracted job for a factory where he makes the wheels to go on trailers.

Good pay that he can't pass up but not steady work.  Plus, the weather hasn't been cooperating for our project.  Just getting the wall board here without being rained on has been tricky.

The old window was really really heavy.  Big picture window with two sliders on sides.  We always thought it was double pain (sp?) but it was a big heavy plate glass.  Took 4 guys to move it out & they could have used even more muscle.  He has the wall in & mudded but now DH thinks we should also close in a door that was a hall now turned into a closet.  (as my eyes roll back in my head) Just another opening to trim around & the old thing is so crooked.  Won't take much (I hope) and & this point I can't even find my mind to take offense with it.  Hopefully Sat. I will be able to pull some of this together.  DIL has said she thinks she can help me. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Re:window

Weather is not usually such an issue for a largely indoor project...you are a much more patient woman than I could ever be.  We are fortunate that between son, daughter/SIL and us, there are the trailers of all different lengths and enclosures.  I have yet to find a project part that we coudnt' get here in any weather, if I wanted to badly enough. 

We started using spare trailers for storage during projects a few years back, too.  I've got a small flatbed in the haybarn now with the majority of stuff from the pool shed on it.  Good thing now: If I do not want to drag all of the junky stuff back inside - things we need rarely, but not often enough to want to look at and trip over every day all summer long - I can send it to the warehouse at the store property now.  I am thus getting a lot more selective about what takes up daily space!

Hoping your Mom does okay...it does sound a LOT like the TIA problem in Mike's family.  She should NOT drive, under any circumstance.  I would not leave her alone much until she's got a diagnosis, too. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How long would it take for an ambulance to get there? They may notice the symptoms that a long trip to the ER would hide. Do you have a video camera that you could use to document her symptoms to medical personnel? For something that is so short, a video could be worth a thousand words. According to the AHA, a major stroke could happen within a year of having the first mini-stroke. It is better to get this addressed than have to deal with consequences of a stroke to a family member.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good suggestion, and anyone can use a simple cell phone to make a short video clip, without special equipment, now.  Picture's worth a thousand words...video can be priceless. 

0 Kudos