cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I may be () this close...

...to finished with taxes. Sat for the better part of this morning, mostly making sure I got figures plugged in on the right part of a worksheet for each business entity, which rental property, etc.

Had to make a couple of calls, one to FSA about weather CTAP payments were capital gains ( like tobacco buyout had been ruled to be), or ordinary income. Another to Farm Bureau, for a premium check I had written for a specific property, but had forgotten to fill in the stub.

Sent Mike out on the errands, which gave me undistracted time to get my head on straight. Followed up with some calls on the $2 million lawsuit. As of 2:30 this afternoon, my counsel announced that I am, indeed, in the clear.

I sat and sobbed, from the bottom of my broken heart. There is a reckoning waiting for people who do this kind of abusive thing for money. May be a lot of things, but I hope I am never that greedy.

Cannot wait to put 2014 to bed. It wasn't the worst year, but we have seen better. Hope the tax man isn't too bad to all of you!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I may be () this close...

Bless your heart.  Glad you are able to rid yourself of the some of the bad things in your life.  I still need to do some more organizeing tonight on ours and MIL's.  Had to do some follow ups today on a couple of things.  Nothing like waiting till the last minute!  Would really like it if my Dh would take me out to eat tommorrow night before the big day on Saturday.  Need to figure out what I am going to feed the crew though. Tax man, DH, me, DS, DD, SIL.  In the past we have offered the tax man a beer when we are done, but this year it looks like he has two more places to go after ours on Saturday.  Glad we did a pre-tax in December.  Hope the weather starts a turn for the better for you so you can spend some peaceful time at Jenna's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I am happy for you that was indeed a cruel thing to do to someone after so much time had passed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Do they all like lasagna?, so ething that iseasy to do ahead, and holds pretty well. Hope it gies okay fir you guys. My appointment is Tuesday.

We will be up there for a couple of half-days this weeekend, and want to get the greenhouse started. I am sure it will be a meager start. He has to be able to do some irrigation runs before and afyer we go and get back.

After we got the news today, and I collected muself, we came back to NC , for my trainer to stretch me a second time in three days. She showed me the actual incrased range on motion today, and it is astounding. Has hurt like H getting there, but we are really making progress.

I could feel myself loosening up, from the stress lifting. Mike just got out of the shower, and his first comment is that he is so relieved. I need to send flowers to the legal secretary who was so helpful. Our attorney won't charge us a cent for his time, bless him!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I don't think I would have felt any better, if it had happened sooner. I knkw that insurance companies make much of their money by holding onto claims for as lobg as possibke, before paying out. An agent explained this to me once.

These companies held out until the lawyers sued me, to break the logjam. The extra time for mail delivery to Carolina, plus that we were a day later getting back from VA, to see the slip and pick up the certified letter, meant the settlement went through about the time I would have gotten it, instead of a day afterwards.

We set up delivery of the new ( to us) tractor and baling wquipment for next Tuesday, I have my CPA visit that same morning. Big day! At least I can focus, and he can do the happy man dance, with his new toys on hand at last.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Glad this worked out for you Kay, although I will admit to being so busy I didn't read the whole story of it but got the gist.

I also am real close to being completely done.  Got the medical expenses & milage emailed to the company who takes care of OKing it.  I still question the necessity of this but whatever.  It saves us a bunch most years.  Talked to a farmer friend yesterday and she said they don't have enough medical expenses to do this but gosh, I kinow he was in the hospital a few days for heart issues & they do have dr. checkups & insurance premiums.

I kind of hesitate to actually be completely done with the numbers too far ahead.  Looks like Greek to me when I'm gone from it too long.  I do need to have Ronnie sit with me & work a spreadsheet on the cattle bought/sold.  It will be good to get it off my back.  But our appointment is Fri. the 13th!Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Like Linda, I always second guess myself if I do it all too early.  Brought home pizza last night after seeing my mom.  Guess that will have to suffice for not cooking until Saturday night.  Maybe this bookkeeper will have done such a wonderful job that she deserves a steak supper!!!  I did buy things for maidrites, chips, fruit salad for Saturday.  Going to have to get up early to get the burger cooked and in the crockpot before 9 a.m.  Wanted to get some cookies made too.  SIL loves peanut butter cookies (without the chocolate stars).  He is always picking the stars off my peanut butter blossoms!  Need to pick up the house a bit.  I guess at least my computer and books are there, so I can get at things I may need.  Thanks to Kay, I am using three ring binders and it has helped tremendously!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have forgotten the details of the binders?  You file in the binds as bills and receipts come in under categories?  I can use more shortcuts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Dbinders can be different for everybidy...you havevto gave a syatem that works for you. Mine is more a log of the major events of the year, documented with a photocopy of each form submitted to an agency, printed tax withholding confirmations, and notes on things like equipment purchases.

The CPA always asks what month we bought a given purchase. I note these on the paper indexes of the binder, and on my monthly bookwork worksheet, too. At the end of the year, that gives me a checklist of the items we bought, health insurance and other premiums paid, etc. quickbooks totals all the Schedule F categories.

I hole punch everything that deserves a page in the journal binder, but receipts are just tossed into a file drawer. Our records have slways worked well this way.

The rental properties are simple, so I run them through a handwritten checkbook. HSA tracks all of the distributions for the year. Once I computerized the two main business entities, tax time got lots easier. Making the tax worksheets - one for each LLC, one for individual income in VA, one for that in VA - it got even simpler.

I have a couple of worksheet tweaks to do for next year, but I made handwritten notes on them this year, noting leases that usually pay that ended in 2013, because they will call and ask where that income is, otherwise. New cattle enterprise will require discusdion, since some of that is NC, some VA, and it was all expense, as a startup. Will have a worksheet for that in 2015, since we will sell the steers born last fall.

A $10 binder and srt of indexes, plus a hole punch for that or less, can really help your memory.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Everyone needs to do what works for them.  I have 5 binders.  1. Our checking accounts, loans and retirement accounts  2. Estates checking accounts and etc.   3.  MIL's  checking accounts,  land loan and retirement accounts.  4.  Our HSA bills and EOBs.  5. MIL's medical,  bills,  and EOBs.   Make that 6.  Farm Management has one they want maintained and filed with them in January. 

All my cash register receipts are in ziploc quart bags.   They accumulate next to the microwave.   Then I stuff in ziploc bag and use the day's date.    So if I'm looking for a receipts from   Feb. 10th?  I'd know it would not be in the one dated Feb 5th.   Doesn't mean  Jan 1 won't be in  March's bag  but  it does seem to work for us.   

Since most checks are written on the computer  I staple the bottom tear off to the bill.    They are then filed in 10x13 envelopes by the month.   Some checking accounts require one envelope per month.  Some I use 1 envelope for 3 months.  Sometimes I have had one listed income and one listed expenses for 1 month.  (Use to be quite common with January when we still owned hogs)   MIL's account I just use an accordian 12 pocket file. 

As the 1099's show up I've stuffed them all in the 10x13 envelopes.  One for us and one for MIL.    I planning the big opening today to see if they all reconcile with the computer....one way or another.

At least 3 times a year I e-mail a copy  of our records to our accountant.   He looks over for mistakes and problems.   And if worse comes to worse and the computer has a melt down   he has a backup to at least to there. 

When I put the year to rest.  The binders,  envelopes, ziplocs and the year's calender, fit in a good size rubbermaid tub.    I also like to throw in the last  Farm Bureau paper of the year in too.   Helps remember what was going on. 

Good luck Ladies and remember  my tag line below. 

0 Kudos