cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

If they could talk

My post about my table brought up a question.  What is in your life that you wish could tell you it's story?  I've got several antiques (wish I had more) and some of them were inherited so I know their stories pretty much.  But my kitchen table for one was bought.  I is round but opens so that a set of legs drops down on an angle to support it if it's fully extended.  I don't have that many leaves for it.  I can imagine it must have fed many hungry threshing crews.

My dining room table is a 5 leg & holds 6 leaves in a "drawer".

Our house is over 120 yrs. old & I know the history of the last 2 families living here but would love to find our more.  How about you?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: If they could talk

Our dinning room table was found in my granddad's attic leaning against the chimney. It has been my great grandparents. There is a burn from an iron on it and it is well used. But I often think about all the people who must have eaten at that table. We also have a pie safe that belonged to the generation before that one, my great, great grandparents. What that pie safe must have held for that family.

We live in house that's core is very old. I sometimes think about that too, what happened here and who lived here before my DH great grandparents. I sometimes wonder if there are ghosts here too.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have an antique corner cupboard, about four feet tall, made out of cucumber wood.  It is from the late 1700s or early 1800s and came from the captains quarters on a ship.  I would love to hear the stories that old piece of furniture can tell about what went on in those quarters....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I havent' been able to fidn out much about the families that inhabited this palce, and being form out of state, it is not like I knew who lived here before.  The farm was at least six homesteads, perhaps more. 

We find more evidence of them the longer we live here.  Sometimes, it's jus the roses, tiger lilies  or daffodils that pop up on unexplained places.  Might find some shards of china.  It had ot have been a hard life in some spots. 

This house was in one name, and this piece of land it's on is over a mile-long, but narrow swath.   Oddly enough, the old country store property I bought in September has the same name on its historical tax abstract, so he must have owned it all.  I just realized that this past week. 

May have explained one odd closet that was built beside the double chimney, with double walls, more like a safe.  That part of the original house had a room that did not connect by a door with, but shared a wall and that chimney with the front "shack."   I've never seen a room quite like this, and suspect it was a business office. 

If I could hear the story of one possession of our families, in its own voice....I don't know, will have to think that one over for a while. Haven't got much...maybe a tobacco basket from my place, or the corn sheller from Mike's, or one of his Mom's old stoneware bowls or crocks. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I would love to have had a old farm home, but there were none on our farm. I do have antiques from my Moms family. I have a cedar chest my grandfather made from the trees on the place we still own. I have the dining table and china cabinet from my grandmother. I also have a hall tree and a wardrobe, one from my grandfathers side and one from my grandmothers side. My Dads parents didn't like old things, so the only thing I have from them is the patio furniture that they used, and it is now back in style.

0 Kudos