cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

In 48 hours..

...things we have been setting in motion for a good, long while will be falling in line. As Mike and I finished loading his truck for me to move the next-to-last load of my crafting stash to Va this morning, people started showing up.

First, it was the irrigation contractor, ready to extend that line another 2200 feet. By the time I had picked up my road needs -ice water mug and cell phone - and hit the road, the applicator for the lime on the new pasture was turning in at the corner.

Daughter called to ask me to watch Winn a while when I get back, so SIL can get truck and trailer ready to roll after the next batch of bred heifers tomorrow, bright and early.

I am here in the house next door, cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms. Let's just say their hygiene left a lot to be desired...going to be a long day. Once these areas are clean, and my helper touches up paint and helps me unload and move my stuff inside, I think it is ready enough for family to stay over.

I was bummed Monday that things were falling behind my goal date. Just have to make it as nice as I can and work on fonishing touches later. As long as it is safe and clean, that will have to do.

Where do you stop stressing, and say " good enough!"?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Re: In 48 hours..

#1.  When I'm too tired or sore to go any longer.

#2.  When I need to make sure my regular jobs and chores are getting done.

#3.  When I decide  I  wouldn't be offended if someone offered this space/ bedroom,  kitchen or bathroom to me.  Especially  if I knew they had other stuff to do too. 

Maybe company will offer to help. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I agree with the list. It is difficult to get everything on the list done most of the time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: In 48 hours...

That's a good set of criteria, Suey. While my regular stuff is done, the physical part of all this hustle-bustle is wearing me down. I find myself being sent out to the office when I get home...one more check to write, one or two more emails to compose and send.

Helper did great today. I scrubbed out cabinets, bathroom, etc., and he got most of the load moved with very little help from me. He finished touching up paint in one bedroom, where some wall repairs had required trim to be bought and brought. He's a nice guy, a little different, but very intelligent and capable.

On my way back to train, right after I fueled up the truck for the guys' road trip tomorrow, my trainer called to say she's sick. That gave me time to grab a few groceries, Popeye's for supper, and get new wiper blades put on...they were shredded, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Can't have them driving blind in uncertain territory!

Just got notice my planning board has no meeting this month, so I get Wednesday evening off, to enjoy daughter, Winn, and her friend, up at Jenna's. She texted me sbout dying and dolling up a show shirt for the big event they're heading to...so, WALMART, for Rit dye! I needed another hole in my head....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Just got an email last night, canceling a meeting for Wednesday. That frees me up to actually be in Va and host my daughter and her friend...which may mostly mean " play with Winn". I can handle that!

The four of us can fit well into Jenna's house, which buys me more time to hire a bug man. I can easily fix supper that night and breakfast the next morning, with what's already on hand there, no sweat. Mike will stay in NC, to mind the farm.

I realized as I went through the kitchen, after posting yesterday, that we have some bugs in this house now. I am cruising the yellow pages for up there, preparing to call for a real assault. Mouse droppings in the kitchen everywhere...just nasty.

It took full-strength Dawn to cut grease off the refrigerator top, and an hour with a razor blade, to scrape the glass cooktop. The crowning glory was a wad of tacky maple syrup stuck through the shelf liner, which had all the wonderful properties of a double handful of mucus.

It looks decent now, but I have never had a cockroach in my house...so tend to take serious measures to eradicate them in a rental or the employee residence. How do people live with these vermin?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is something I cannot understand. How could someone who looked normal live in a place with pet rats completely destroyed the a very clean nice furnished house?  Droppings and litter an inch deep on the window ledges, holes in the walls, urine acid so bad it ruined all the metal including the light fixtures. I won't go on.

There have been several arrests this year in our area due to inhuman treatment of animals and child abuse. The lastest is rabbits kept in very dirty cages in a house. Others have been many dogs living and not house broken with children. Horses starved etc.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This was nowhere near that bad...now, the employee residence here is a horse of another color.  We had to have the bug man in there a year or so ago.  Totally overrun with roaches, and they hadn't said a word.  I don't get it.

This guy told daughter he needed a cat.  I said hell no, that will be cruel to the cat, with his four kids and one more coming, not to mention cat mess on the rugs. 

I gave him a week to get ready for the mouse man, who's also the bug man.  We love Bill.  He told Mike that he'd enver seen so many droppings in one house.  They have TWO vacuum cleaners that we supply, one of which is a shop vac. 

I can do the whole house by myself in thirty minutes of noit rushing .  Two of them haven't gotten it done in almost a year????  They tried to put me off, so as not to have to clean...and it was THAT nasty? 

On a side note, just called and found out our corral system, is ready for pickup next week.  Called SIL on the road with Mike, so he can set it up to suit his schedule of days off. 

Still pushing the NRCS for a permit amendment this morning,so we can re-seed the pasture we're building, where the irrigation extension went in yesterday.  Also, made a hydrant in one of the kids' pastures.  This gives us about 30-35 more irrigated acres of grazing.  Been a long time since we'd bought any lime...YIKES! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Made a bug man appointment for next week up there, which will require an extra trip, and a check for $130.  Oh, well!  I am uncomfortable with DIY foggers and such...I can fight mice, but bugs are harder to exclude.

0 Kudos