cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

In heels?

One Saturday, not too long ago, just as I finished getting myselfcleaned up and dressed up to head off for town Jeff called the house from his cell phone.  He was out in one of the fields doing field work.  "Hey, can you come out to the field with my thermos?  It's so hot out here, and I could use something cold to drink." he said. I found myself my usual and customary reply "Sure, honey". So I Filled up the thermos, jumped into the jeep and went out to the field to deliver the goods . . . in heels.  As I was walking towards him I saw him smiling and laughing.  "I just loooove you Susie" was the first thing that came out of his mouth.  "Heels in the field?" was his second comment. Tonight, after work, still dressed in heels, I picked through a couple of the horses stalls before driving to house. 

Wanna bet that I'm not the only one of us that has ever helped out on the farm or done her chores in heels? 

Am I? 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: In heels?

Thanks to multiple fractures of each ankle, one in 1991, the other in 1993, I haven't worn heels in 20 years. E are tons of cute shoes that do not require a balancing act to look quite feminine.
I loved them when I could wear them, and would if i still could, but heels are too dangerous for this old chick.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You got it honey!!!  I don't wear heels,but I do go out and do chores or have helped in my dress pants and good shoes.  I think that shows dedication to our "field"!!!  I have even done chores in my nighty!!  Except one morning, wouldn't you know, the neighbor stopped by and the calf dropped his bottled and I leaned over and picked it up....I am afraid of what he might have seen!!!  I used to see farm women out in their bra in the summer hanging clothes on the clothesline.  We got a "sisterhood" goin on here!!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hey there Ruby Lou!  Really laughing with you on this one!   Honestly, it's not really about what type heel we've got on.  It's about spontaneous and bein' plain and simply just who we are and lovin' us and those who love us lovin' it. It's also about doing what we want to do when we need or want to do it and not caring about what the neighbors think (well, within reason and good clean living).  It's about fun.  Yep,fun.

And Yes, it's about "The Sisterhood" . . . Thanks Girl!

Hugs your way Ruby Lou

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Many a time have stopped at the farrowing house before  Heading to church.   No heels for years.  But,  I've run in to just glance at a sow to make sure she was settled,  to turn on or off the drippers  or make sure I had  done something.    I dept my alleyways clean enough to walk through with church shoes on.  

We regularly would turn on the sprinklers when we got home from church at the gestation. 

I've checked hogs and cows with my PJ tops on under the sweatshirts, and winter coat. 

If not too revealing I will run out and check the rain gauge   but only if it is not time for the school bus to go buy.   Do not want to be discussed in closed session at a school board meeting.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I just realized why I took your question about doing farm work in good shoes and clothes so literally. My childhood was characterized by getting a LOT of switchings...long story. One thing I could get totally torn up for ruining my " good" clothes and shoes. Consequently, changing out pf them is so ingrained, I do not think I could readily change that habit.

That does not keep me from delivering a cooler to the hayfield on my way to town,but it would keep me from going into the hoghouses in anything but workwear.

Spontaneity is more likely expressed in some other way here. You are new this sisterhood here, but the regulars know that i have a devilish streak.

Mike keeps a to- do chore list my his place at the table, to add and strike off chores. I sometimes slip in a line of a naughty nature...and he gets a real kick out of that....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Ouch on the switchings. I hear ya.  I had to change my good clothes also, and it wasn't pretty if I didn't.  I remember not many good clothes in my closet when I was growing up.  Good clothes were hard to come by then.  At least for me in my family.  Come to think about it Kay I probably throw caution to the wind now and just 'let er rip' no matter what I am wearing just to get past my left over scars from those old days.  Thanks for bringing it up.   I'm gonna give this one more thought!  Funny how we all process memories differently, huh?  Viva La Difference though!  Without our differences we wouldn't have much to share Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Clothes are a sort of sore subject with me. I dress quite " differently" than most women my age around here. Their little gold shoes and clunky costume jewelry make my skin crawl. I feel that if I am clean and covered, that is good enough.

When you look back, and realize how poor the family was when you were young, it is sort of sobering. Oddly enough, the more able I have been to afford " better" clothing as we have progressed financially, the less I have cared about having more than a few basic and very conservative things of good quality, and then the rest just comfortable items I do not have to fuss over.
Maybe clothes are the cheapest status symbol many people can manage to buy, and thus why so many focus on wardrobe, over more substantial signs of progress.

Anyway, I would rather have someone think I am " not much" by glancing at what I am wearing, and then be pleasantly surprised that I offer mental substance when they get to know me, than have it the other way around...wouldn't you?

have very specific memories of what I was wearing at many points, the colors of the fabric and their textures. I was never comfortable in lace of any kind, for instance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No your not the only one, but like Kay I don't wear heels very much, but I do have my fancy flip flops and good running shoes. It never fails that when I have these on I also need to go to the field, or step in a broiler house to set the controls. I sure don't carry an extra pair with me, so what ever I have on does the chore with me. I always get people to question why my vehicle goes across fields, and why it has chicken litter in it. My reply to this is the same also, it will wash, and it goes where needed, when needed. After all the farm is paying for my vehicle,but some friends can't believe it gets so dirty. They need to live in the real world. I bet some of us look pretty HOT doing our chores.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I  have not worn my heels for years but I have done all the other things mentioned.

I do not like the GD coming to our home with good clothes on but she never wears every-day clothes. She always has new things. I think it is because the laundry never is completely done and there is always a pile. Sure different than when my kids were home. The mom once wore good white pants to load out birds.

I have been thinking that maybe clothes are too low priced? They are made in depressed countries in sweat shops by kids so we can have plenty of new clothes.

0 Kudos