cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Iowa, Tornadoes

Jump to solution

Sundae,   Are you okay?     Have a friend from the Early, IA  area.   Their farm is okay  but the town of Early had some damage.  

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Iowa, Tornadoes

Jump to solution

OMG I forgot that Sundae was out that way. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I just checked some articles online about the tornadoes.   Article said the tornadoes touched down in Sac, Pocahontas, and Kosanu(?)  Counties.    I think she lives in a different county.    But,... if she doesn't check in pretty soon I'll go through my old e-mails and see if I have a phone number for her from last year's get together. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

Yep all ok here.  In fact I missed all the action.  Left 5 pm Sat. and headed towards Ames for a cattle show Smiley Surprised)

DH was home and said strong winds, over an in. of rain and some hail...good thing I was gone, had the new pick up and it would have gotten hail on it. 

Seen some of the damage when we drove home 24 hrs. later, not a good site at all. A friend took her son back to college in ft. dodge and took a bunch of pictures...Seen a combine that looked like it rolled this way and that way all crused up sitting in the middle of a field.  And turkey building with the turkeys all around it, poor things.  Have not heard of anyone getting hurt.  thank God for that.

S.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Glad to hear all is okay.   Saw some pictures from another site.    Hard to fathom the amount of cleanup on some of the farms.  Hog finishing buildings destroyed.   Blue harvestores twisted, and down.   A brand new house suffered severe damage.   Guardian angels were doing their job   with the help of County emergency personel who kept everyone informed.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank heavens that no one was killed. Someone was looking over your area. May have also whispered in your ear to take the new pickup out of the hail area too. I've seen tornado take a few combines and twist them upon each other. They really have power. I feel sorry for the turkeys too. Heaven forbid if they kept looking up to the sky, they may drown. Were there many livestock buildings damaged?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Do you folks have the reverse 9-1-1 yet?  Our counties here and in VA both call if you register for that service, free of charge.  We even get the calls here for the property 75 miles away.  I think it's a wonderful system. 

Also, the WRAL weather warnings are avaialbe for a few dollars a year.  I've declined to subscribe,  since we already had the county's system to rely upon.  That elective one is supposed to be very pinpointed to your GPS location/address. Amazing. 

Now, if everyone gets that advice to put on their helmets from biking and all their protective gear from sports.

I had to laugh at this last night:  Mike said the sheep are butting into him when he feeds now.  I offered him some shinguards from TKD for his recent chainsaw boo-boo.  He says he's going to wear his chainsaw chaps instead.   I'll have to remind him to put them on if we get a bad storm. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Glad you're OK Sundae.  Hate these storms in the spring.  We're still dealing with the hail damage we got back in Nov.  Couldn't get everything done before winter came in.  Broken window, screens, and we've been taping the silage bags.  They look so funny with the black tape polka dotting them.  We need to get up on our roof to check there.  It's a TALL house & I get so worried when DH has to climb up there.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

With everyone trying to take your time, try to say no when he gets on the roof. If he should fall, you would rather make a quick 911 call than have him lying on the ground for a long time. Do you have an attic that you could check for any leaks? Would be much safer than getting on a steep pitched roof.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Attic is not accessable (sp?) and I don't think the hail damage would show up that way yet.  The neighbors down the road just finished putting a new one on due to hail.

I don't let him get up there without someone being nearby.  I've got a thing about heights so I'm worthless. 

0 Kudos