cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Boy! When you guys hate someone it's forever.

Americans cannot blame one privileged actress for the bad manners too many displayed when our troops returned from Vietnam. People did that because too many stood by and allowed that disgrace to happen.

This past week, I was asked to help introduce a young man to some of the routine at our do jhang. As I explained things and got to know him a bit, he mentioned that he had served as an infantryman in Iraq. As is my habit when encountering a veteran, I thanked him for his service to our country, and in the rules of the do jhang, bowed as I shook his hand, to show him my deep respect for his
sacrifice.

I think that small gesture really surprised him. Granted, the bow is not an American custom...but when I explained that it is the custom in Taekwondo, he smiled and seemed to really open up and smile.

It breaks my heart to think of how many homeless men are Vietnam veterans, and how many self- medicate on drinking and drugs. It wasn't their fault that they were asked to do something that shouldn't have been done.
0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Many, many, weren't even asked. They had no legal choice but to serve. That's the draft for you. However, if there wasn't so much corruption in those days, members of all classes could serve. Today, majority of the armed services are made up of enlisted from lower wealth levels, many thinking that it is the only way to go to college. How they are able to attend with ptsd and war injuries is a miracle

0 Kudos
Midwest Farm
Veteran Contributor

Keen insight, Kraft. I hear ya.

Here is an lengthy but interesting take by Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

This is the myth of the " all- volunteer" armed forces. The kids who serve now generally see no other way " up and out". This was a lot of what Rick Bragg wrote about in that book with the young female soldier who was captured and raped...I want to say it was " I am a Soldier, Too".

I will say this, though: deferments were easily obtained by the wealthy/ connected, even during the draft. I was old enough to see if happen and know what was going on at the time. The year Mike drew 18 in the lottery, the draft ended, thank goodness.

I was decidedly anti-war then. I am as anti- war now, but for a whole host of different reasons, on top of my older, more idealistic ones. When history dissects the War on Terror, if the truth is ever known, it will make Vietnam look like a Holy Crusade by comparison.
0 Kudos
chore girl
Veteran Contributor

Protesting the war was one thing, but turning much of the country against those who had no choice but to serve is another.  My husband didn't think we had any business in Vietnam, but when called to serve he went.   So did both his brothers.  My husband came through it okay, but his youngest brother, who had served as a medic, suffered from PTSD for many years.   Now when a stranger comes up to my husband and  thanks him for his service or secretly pays for our lunch as they leave the restaurant, or when the school kids invite him to lunch at school on Veteran's Day, he gets a tear in his eye to know that finally after all these years his service is appreciated.         

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Precisely...please thank him for me, and if you want to, you can give him my bow of respect, too.
0 Kudos
chore girl
Veteran Contributor

Thanks, Kay, it will make his day! 

0 Kudos