cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Japan's horrible situation

I heard about the earthquake on my way to work at 5:30 AM today but just now am seeing some of the picures and film coming out of that devastated area.  What a humbling experience to see the power of nature.  We are really so insignificant in the big scheme of things.  I am always reminded of that when I step outside on a clear star-lit night. 

I never thought I would have a connection to Japan but both my DS and I do through our work.  DS has been to Japan on business twice in the past two years and was scheduled to go again in the next six months.  My company provides parts for Honda and its suppliers so we frequently host Japanese executives on tours of our manufacturing facility.  We have hosted some of the Japanese engineers assigned to work in the US at our farm and they have always been so gracious and courteous. 

I am sooo glad that my DS is not there right now.  I am praying for those young engineers who my DS brought to the farm on holidays when they were here alone so far from their families.  I am hopeful that the folks we have come to know are safe. 

On his last trip, my DS travelled extensively on their high speed rail system.  Loved it.  I cannot help but wonder how those trains and their passengers fared?  He said it was always crowded on the trains....with the quake happening at mid day I am guessing the trains were full....I heard on the news that one train is "missing".  How does an entire train go missing?  The power of this natural disaster and its impacts is just not comprehensible to me. 

I am certainly not one who thinks about the "second coming" or the "final days" on a regular basis and I sure don't fear it.....But I find myself wondering about what is going on these past couple of years....hurricanes, tornados, sunamis, earthquakes in many places around the world and a whole bunch of social, political and economic strife here and abroad.....the US close to bankruptcy???  All of this civil unrest here and the government overthrows in the Middle East....I never imagined it in my lifetime but I cannot say any of this surprises me either. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Japan's horrible situation

The second coming and dec. 2012 makes you realy think about all that has been going on like you mention...it is a little scary

S.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

LA, I share your concerns for the Japanese people. 

Most worrisome to me was the reporting on fears for their nuclear power plants' safety. That could be a true environmental disaster.  It would make helping them that much more problematic.   

As for a train going missing, I hope that only means that they cannot monitor its position on the dispatch screens right now...a sensor problem, basically, a communications breakdown.  Anything worse would be too sad to contemplate. 

In such a sophisticated and socially-responsible country, one would hope their building codes put them in better stead than in the Third World nations that lose huge numbers of citizens in earthquakes. We gripe about all the rules, but they exist mostly for good reasons. 

The last reports I heard earlier in the day said that they had asked for help, which means we will do our best...but, Heaven help them, they were offered FEMA assistance....

Got to get an update...have been away from TV most of the day.  Maybe it wil sound better/more hopeful this time. 

Like you, I have felt a sort of "end times" pattern of events has unfolded in the last 2-3 years.  When you put it all into historical perspective, I do not think it is quite as bad in comparison to some past eras. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

What I heard was the entire train and its passengers was swept out to sea.  I cannot imagine a wave of water travelling at the speed of a jet crashing into a train full of people.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

OMG!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

China also had an earthquake on Thursday near the Myammar (sp?) border. Two tragedies within days of each other. Japan has better standards for buildings than the US, so we know it could be worse. The nuclear plants are right now the big worries. Lets hope that the replaced generators can prevent a disaster from becoming a global calamity.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

my family has ties to Japan.  I have a cousin who taught English for a while in Japan and married a Japanese woman.  I do not know them well, in fact have not seen them in probably 14 years.  I do know her family is still in Japan and that she makes regular trips to visit them.  Do not have any idea what part of Japan they are from.

My cousin had a stroke last year and is still recovering so I am sure she would not have been in Japan at this time.  I will try to contact my Aunt later today and find out more information.

This is truely a horrible situation.  Japan does seem to have stronger building codes than we do.  They have weathered several situations in the past and seems they don't miss a beat, so this must truely be awful for them to be asking for world wide  help this time.

0 Kudos