cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loriander1966
Friend

Just brought a farm

HI Ladies,

Here is the deal I'm clueless. LOL Does anyone know how to file for AG excemption for Texas. Any suggestions would be soooooo helpful .

Thanks,

Lori

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Just bought a farm

Did you mean "bought" a farm?  You can go back to your original post, use options and edit and change the spelling as "brought" is a little confusing.

Texas A&M is a land grant universtiy wtih a plethora of help for ag issues.  I don't know if they can help you on tax (I assume this is a tax question?) or not.

Probably a call to your local county assessor or treasurer, who ever collects ag land taxes, would get you started on the right foot.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Just brought a farm

The ag exemption for what? In Texas, or are you meaning taxes?
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Just bought a farm

Jim, there are so many exemptions for ag...zoning, for instance. That's why I asked what kind of exemption she meant.
0 Kudos
farm160
Veteran Contributor

Re: Just brought a farm

The links below might get you started. 

From reading the article the biggest thing is to make sure you're considered an active farmer.

Just owning an acreage or farm or owning a horse doesn't make a person a farmer. 

Also exemptions vary so much by state and interpretation.  We've bought equipment on internet sales auction sites and what's considered exempt in our state is not in another.  Another example, we bought an excavator to use on land we own to improve it's lay and production; however the excavator was not exempt because it wasn't used to "produce".  So get to know the rules.

Good luck with your farm - what kind of farming will you do?

Texas sales tax exemption

Exemption form

0 Kudos