cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Kay, hope you'all are safe

Kay,  Just running out the door for a meeting and Ed read me the latest storm track.  Not sure exactly where you are but surely you will get some impact from this hurricane.  Just letting you know we are keeping all of you  and your family in prayer that you remain safe and sound.  Stay in touch if you can.  SB

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Kay, hope you'all are safe

Thanks. If you look on a map, we are halfway between Roanoke Rapids and Ahoskie. Roughly two hours east of Raleigh, and two south of Richmond...I consider it a hundred miles to either one. Looks like a rough patch of road ahead.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Looked at mapquest....I didn't realize you had that many hog units in your area.  But I guess you are one of the leading states, if not THE leading state in hog production  I can see hog units, but no horse pasture!!  I also see lots and lots of trees!  Take care!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mike and SIL just finished picking lighter-weight objects up around the yard and stuck in the two closest sheds.  Loaded them on a trailer and moved that to the big barn.  We still have one trunk and the bird to move in off the porch...it looks so pitiful out there now! 

I have done my photo sweep, and just updated checkbooks and dropped those files on a thumb drive to put in my pocketbook, with cell, meds, and such.  Here is a link to the Raleigh weather radar:

http://www.wral.com/weather/image/9617782/

Not what you want to see, if you live here! 

You may be looking at further down southeast, where more hogs are situated...out county is fourteenth in the state, and, yes, there are a LOT of hogs, chickens and turkeys here!  Mike just got a phone call from our serviceman, telling us what to do in the storm...DUH!!!  We just took what I expect to be our last load of feed for a few days, but are well stocked-up. 

If you have my address from the Christmas card list, use Google maps to navigate to us.  It clearly shows three hog sites with four buildings on each, at east, south and west compass points, and the house and office to the north. Hay barns are in the backyard, pool and office, kennels and small equipment sheds for trucks and mowers, etc., are between the house and the tar road. 

Further east, up Braswell Road, you can see my daughter's place, the horse barn and run-in shed out front, and the stables behind her house.  The arena is an open air oval, with a small arena office beside it.  Horse pastures are all around her house and those facillities.  Sheep pasture and sheds are in the back, with the hog facilities. 

The store is at the corner of Braswell and NC 305.  Employee's house is mobile home on the store side, about halfway back towards our house.  Last we heard, the new baby was sick in the hospital, and the whole family was staying in the mom's room.  I hope they keep them there through tomorrow into Sunday, but who knows? 

It is a couple of miles of strung-out responsibility as the crow flies here.  I have asked grown kids in VA to look out for things on Mike's place up there.   Worst that can happen to mine is that it will wash away, which would still be the mining company's problem. 

Trees are wonderful almost all of the time; but, in a storm like this, can be very problematic, in terms of taking down power transmission lines, damaging homes, and falling and blocking roads.  One real danger is driving in this kind of storm is having one land on your car. 

Thanks for all the well wishes.  I will update you guys when I can...we should be able to stay in contact, except when rain blocks our satellite dish. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks.  I remembered I did have your address on this computer.  I was looking too far southeast for ya.  Good luck, hope you don't mind me lookin ya up on mapquest.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Keep us posted,Kay stay safe.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks. It is overcast, steamy and totally still here now... Literally the calm before the storm.

Neighbors across the road have pulled their vehicles into the side path on our side, to get them out from under their trees. We spread vehicles out under different sheds, so as not to have all our eggs in one basket.

The tree frogs are making a racket in the woods by the house...always parr ofmour late summer soundtrack. I am sitting here on the one chair I haven't stashed between the poles in the middle of the porch agaiant the house, Mike and I have to move one good trunk and the bird from out here into the house, before bedtime.

I am pooped...fell asleep twice this afternoon for a few minutes. Really need a good night's sleep, and doubt that I will actually get one.

Take care, all!
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Keep us posted on your rainfall . 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Prayers for your safety and that of your loved ones.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Keep us posted Kay.  Everyone in Irene's path is in our prayers here in Western Pennsylvania.  Praying you and all there are having a peaceful night's rest, and all is safe and sound. 

0 Kudos