cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chick06
Senior Contributor

Kitchen gadgets

I just bought the new soap dispenser that you run your hand under. I love it. I know you can use it anywhere but I bought only one for the kitchen. It really came in handy tonight after cutting up chicken, just run your hand under and soap. It takes the worry out of touching the other pump soap and then I would wash the top off if I had handled meat. What new gadgets have you used that you really like?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Kitchen gadgets

Okay, now you have my interest!  I am a gadget queen...but haven't seen this one yet.  We keep pump soaps at every sink...two in the kitchen, one in each bath, and one each in the bathroom and kitchen in the office.  We go through 4-packs of Softsoap pumps like crazy.  It always bugs me that about a half-inch of soap is left in the bottom, so I tip each almost-empty bottle upside-down on top of one that I keep under one sink for collecting these leftovers.

This may not qualify as a "gadget," but I am madly in love with our new Citiz "Nespresso" maker.  It uses the Nestle capsules of espresso.  I adore those tiny cups with the crema foam of coffee on top, or we can froth milk for cappucinos.  Mike likes a less intense cup of lungo.  Our daughter has gotten started on a treat of homemade frappucinos, using espresso, some milk and sugarfree caramel syrup, all blended with ice. 

I grab a quick espresso or two in the morning, and it really gets me moving.  I have cut my Coke Zero habit in less than half, with the coffee to perk me up instead.  It takes less than a minute to make a cup, and when I start to lag a bit, I go for another caffeine jolt.  It's less stimulant than in a regular cup of coffee, but I can consume it so much faster, due to the tiny amount in each serving. 

Another gadget we enjoy is the Houdini wine bottle vacuum sealer stoppers.  This is a little pump , almost like a tiny bicycle pump, and set of special stoppers that allow you to pump out air, so a partial bottle of wine can be re-sealed for another day.  Helps limit us to one glass apiece with dinner. 

The silliest-looking gadget we have added lately is for a special cheese called a "tete du moine."  The thing shaves off a circular sliver of this special, stinky cheese, forming it into a pretty rosette.  You can make chocolate cylinders with the mold (which comes with the blade and board), and shave off rosettes of chocolate for cake topping decorations, too.  I also like the wire cheese cutter I got from Lehman's online.  It slices cheese with a thin wire attached to a small cherry-wood bow handle.   

Yes, we are on a cheese and wine binge these days.  After that, we drink espresso like two old Italian men. 

0 Kudos
soilbabe
Senior Contributor

After you get your nursing degree, can you open a bed and breakfast, please?  I want come and stay!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Since I moved all the beds but ours out of the house when the baby graduated from college, that might get a bit TOO cozy!  LOLOLOLOL....

Honestly, though, can you tell that we are friends with some real "foodies"? It is an interesting - if expensive - addiction.  We have to install new faucets in the two kitchen sinks, so I've got to reorganize kitchen base cabinets this coming week...just bought a biscotti pan, and have to make room for that too!

0 Kudos
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

I bought a Farberware silicone pastry brush, which I love! It's so much easier to clean than a bristle-type brush ... just throw it in the dishwasher! And the silicone is heat-resistant, so you can also use it to brush marinade or BBQ sauce on meat right on the grill or in the smoker.

78iBE687991F30E3C99

I need to (or rather WANT to) get a small rolling pin. I've been making my own tortillas, but my big rolling pin is just too big to maneuver on my counter.

0 Kudos
suey1973
Senior Contributor

I most useful newer gadget in my Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Pot.   I'm not a big Ice Tea drinker but the help likes Ice Tea instead of milk during the summer months with meals.   I make ice in yogurt containers.    3 ice chunks and I can have ice tea in 12 minutes. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Well, now that you mention ICE, my favorite appliance is the icemaker we bought when we remodelled the kitchen several years ago.  I wanted one with a big bin of ice, and not those curved 'cubes' that so many refrigerator/freezers with icemakers make.  They cling to the curve of the glass, and block the drink, then dump it down your shirt!  I can drink just about anything, as long as I have my ice. 

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Although it is not new and I can't think of anything I realy like as I sit here...except for a very sharp knife I found in the basement about a year ago.  Nothing like a good, big, sharp knife  Smiley Happy

Gadgets I do have and that are just sitting in the basement for use, what like one a year....water puifier..food dehydrator...malt maker...blenders (that one does get a little more use)  fry daddy (ready to throw that one away)  chocolate fondue thingy.. and there's got to be a few more that I have forgotten about too.

S.

0 Kudos
old and rusty
Veteran Contributor

Whoa, whoa whoa................ back up here a minute. Kay, did you say you moved all the beds out of your house after your kids left??  So, where am I going to sleep when I bomb in on you sometime? Was this a planned, I don't want the kids to return thing, or WHAT?  We have 6 beds and two sofa sleepers here. I'm hosting a bike riding team of 20 in July! (RAGBRAI)

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Not ALL the beds...Mike and I share a king-sized Sleep Number, but that is the only true bed in the house.  I get back up many nights and study or read, often crashing on a huge leather chaise in the family room.  Comfortable as any bed I've ever had....

The rest of the former bderooms are my stained glass and sewing areas.  Tiny under-eaves rooms we stole from the false rafters when we needed to make sleeping space for the kids...not a true second story.  I either had to add a lot of expensive-to-insure, -tax and -heat/AC, for the glass work a few years ago, or move that hobby into this un-used space. No one was staying there when they were bedrooms, so I gave the kids the beds for their places, and never looked back. 

There is a queen-sized sofa bed in my office, if needed, but it's rarely used.  That space is basically a huge studio apartment.  Much nicer than my house. 

Our not-here kids live close enough to rarely stay over, and have pets and livestock at their end to tend, too. The two distant ones can crash at their sister's at the other end of the farm if they want to hang out. 

They are certainly welcome, and know that in a pinch, the office is a second home here at home, a standing offer to any and all as needed...they just never have, that's all.  Two actually live in houses that Mike owns, but we really do not want a grown child living back in THIS home, at least not now. 

I have observed this sort of boomerang child arrangement, and it never ends well in my experience.  To me, grow up = move out. 

Neither of us grew up with any houseguests present, and I haev never been really very comfortable with anyone else in the house...don't know why, but I guess it's just that it is so unfamiliar to me.  We are just hermits, I suppose.  I do not know where i will stash you when you make it to NC, but we will figure out something.  How do you feel about a hammock????

0 Kudos