cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Lisa's Kitchen

I don't think I've shared this here, but I've been writing a cooking blog for our sister site, Living the Country Life. It's basically me talking about the food I'm making and sharing the recipes. Lots of standard country-style cooking, plus tasty treats. I thought you ladies might enjoy taking a look:

Lisa's Kitchen

I've also put together several slideshows of recipes with different topics on the LCL site (desserts, recipes to use up Thanksgiving leftovers, comfort food, etc.). They are listed on the LIving the Country Life recipes page:

Living the Country LIfe Recipes 

Take a look, and let me know what you think! I'm having a really good time writing the blog, and it's forcing me to make new things, which is always good. Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like me to make and blog about? Post it here or send me a message and I'll give it a try!

~Lisa

PS: I was going through some things in the basement the other day and came across my Great Aunt Dollie's recipe file. She passed away several years ago, so going through her recipes was really like visiting her kitchen again. I've made a few of her signature items already, with more planned for the very near future. Here's a picture of her chocolate chip macaroons. They are TO DIE FOR!! You can get the recipe on my blog! Bon appetit!

macaroons.jpg

7 Replies
chick06
Veteran Contributor

Re: Lisa's Kitchen

I have not made it to the blog yet, but looking at the picture and the recipe on the index card made me remember the recipes that my grandmother had. She always kept everything on index cards. I need to use index cards for my favorite, most of mine are saved in the computer, but how do they get passed down that way?  What a great fine, happy Thanksgiving.

Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

It's funny how you bring this up now or should I say those cookies...I love macaroons!  And just last week I had coppied down a reciepe from a mag. for them while at a doctors office for DH.   But I will try yours first cause....I....loves.....chocolate.....and coconut!!!!!!!

S.

Kay/NC
Advisor

Macaroons are an old-fashioned cookie, it seems.  My mother used to make them when I was very young.  I can still feel the crunch of the toasted coconut along the edges, and taste the meringue melting in my mouth, can't you? 

When Lisa posted this photo, I said to myself,"Please, do NOT let those be chocolate chips in them!" 

Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

It's so true ... recipes saved on the computer just don't have the same meaning as hand-written recipes on notecards. Especially after someone passes, seeing their handwriting and making their recipes is like visiting with them. I need to write my favorites down, too.

A few years ago, I found my grandma's O'Henry bar recipe in her handwriting, and I turned the notecard into magnets and had them made for all of her kids and grandkids. If you have hand-written recipes from a loved one, these might make a good Christmas gift! There are lots of places online where you can upload an image and make it into a magnet or put it on a mug. Here's how they turned out:

ggmagnet.jpg

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

I love the magnet idea!  I just might do that with one of my grandmother's recipes.  I am sure everyone would love it.

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Geesh thanks Lisa...made those macaroons last night and I ate 10 or more of them too!  not total but just last night!!  yum..yum  Oh and gues what I had for breakfast????

S.

Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

My daughter started a family cookbook several years ago.  Never finished it.  amazingly, that is something that was saved from my old computer.  I added a few more recipies the other night because I am tired of digging through my gallon plastic bag of favorite recipe's!  I just need to get a way to print them out so they aren't so cumbersome.  It was a "program" on my old computer in Microsoft works.  Need to get something done for Christmas presents with the recipies. I think I will try those cookies, they look yummy!

0 Kudos