cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Losing it?

Left NC earlier than expected. Mike suggested I drive the check to the boiler dealer here in VA when we arrived. Called her and hit the road there, about ten minutes away.
Got out in their lot, and walked around to the tote bag in the backseat...no pocketbook! Panic feeling setting in, I try to recall the last place I had it. I know I took it from the Chick-fil-A to the car, so it got home.

Called daughter, to get her to check. She was on the road, so will look i pn the car and house, to see if I got so distracted when I got home with Winn. She and SIL were grabbing him, his Valentine's party loot, their takeout lunch, etc., and a semi of feed was coming up the lane.
That is my best guess...I know I left a hank of rope on the front seat, which I intended to bring here, too.

Once indoors, I was sidetracked by them eating, fixing drinks, getting Winn's jars of change bagged up for the change counting machine at the bank. They had planned to cash in this stash of pocket change we have been accumulationg since their last cruise. It js promised for his spending money on the trip on the "Mickey Boat".

So, called daughter in Carolina, then Mike, to be sure I hadn't dragged it in up here. She ought to be back in touch in a couple more hours. I will just have to borrow Mike's credit card for the trip to Richmond tomorrow, and hope I don't hit a license check or get pulled anywhere.

Very unsettling feeling...I was making so sure the tax binder, Bluetooth to navigate me to another point past the accountant, etc., were in my bag, I missed my stinking purse! I knew I was tired today...but this is really dumb!

Do you ever feel like you are losing it?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Advisor

Re: Losing it?

You really had to remind me.   2 brain loss incidents come to mind.   Both have to do with trips to my mom's  2 hours away.  I noticed I'd forgotten my billfold/ID, credit cards, checkbook and cash when I was half way there.  I continued the journey OK.    Then there was the time that Tom was going with me to reinstall my Mom's attic fan.  We'd had it repaired up here and he was going to wire it back up.  We were  5 minutes away from Mom's when I realized  I'd forgotten to load the fan  from the pickup to the car!   Yep,  did I feel like a total failure. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yikes! Our daughter offered to go back by the house and bring it halfway-ish. I declined. Will gaprab some vash and the credit card from Mike in the morning...now, if I had firgotten the taxes, we'd have had to go back!

Mike takes delivery on the rest of the new equipment tomorrow. The salesman pulled the discbine here while I was gone. I met him on his way out ans when he stopped to say hello, i asked if he'd seem my pocketbook on the ditchbank anywhere...I had to laugh, to keep from crying, by then.

I rarely forget snything, and have never left my pocketbook, in my memory of this lifetime. We just cannot leave anything that exposed, with all the thefts going on down there. I will manage, just feel a lot off - kilter. I do nkt tecall feeling so sleepy in the afternoon, as badly as today.

Glad to know it's not just me! Thanks for owning up!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Went to get my billfold in the car at the fair last summer, unlocked the door & got my billfold, relocked the door and yup, locked the keys in there.  Our new van will not let you do that, thank God.

When I leave my purse at home or my cell phone, I feel absolutely naked.  I might as well turn around & go home even if it's just my cell phone.  Can't do a thing without a credit card & ID anyway. 

I find myself often laying something down & then can't find where the heck it is.  Right now my house is so disorganized it's a disaster.  And every day this week is something.  I can't seem to adjust to that. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

yup. if i got paid $10/hour for the time in my life that   i've spent looking for my watch, checkbook, billfold and now cell phone, i'd be close to rich. not all the time , just very occasional. I requested and received a flourescent green billfold for Christmas. would like a checkbook cover in bright orange, too. Oh and wish my black cell phone was bright.... I will say that i am getting better. a little.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I would be ambarrased to say how many times I call my cell phone to find it.  The funny one is when it fell out of my pocket while doing chores.  I retraced my steps many times & tried calling it but the battery went dead so that was a no go.  Finally after 2 weeks of being "phoneless" I broke down & replaced it.  The next day as I went into the calf barn the dog walked out to me with it in his mouth.  LOL  I don't think he had it hid but he thought it would be fun to play with I guess. 

Our neighbor always was losing his while choring.  One day his MIL told him the trash pile was ringing.  LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My dad used to tell the story about losing his billfold.  One day he went out to check the sows in the cornfield and one of them had it in her mouth.   I have left my purse at a resturant along the interstate...went back, it was there.  Yes, we call cell phones here too to find them.  Went to buy the manure spreader at the end of 2014, DH reached for his checkbook, wasn't there, Luckily I had one in my purse.  Hate it when you lose something and need it NOW, can't find it, but days later it just pops up. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

When they came out with neon-handled tools, 35 years or so ago, I realized my FIL's work cane ( there's an obvious oxymoron for you) needed a spritz of fluorescent orange spray paint. He woukd hang it somewhere, toddle off with support from the workbench, his pickup truck body, and forget where he left it. Problem solved!

You know you can buy bright orange cell phone cases, right? Mine is bright purple....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I lost one BlackBerry, in a drugstore. They found it after I had replaced it.

Mike lost his flipphone in a hay windrow, which we called and it happened to be less than twenty feet away right where he was heading to bale next. He has dropped it and the pigs have played with it for a few days, before kicking it out into the aisle.

I usually do not lose things, unless distracted or upset. Yesterday, I was both. Really bad news on someone I think a great deal of, and the more we hear, the worse it gets.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It wasn't actually, technically " lost"...i told daughter exactly where I thought I had left it. She got it out of the car seat, locked it in the house. I just worried until she texted back, several hours later, that it was there.

It was bothersome on the level that i was driving to th CPA today, in Richmond. Mike gave me some cash, and a few ones for possible tolls, and his credit card. I needed that in two places, and $1 for a toll.

I am just bugged that I have been making so many such mistakes lately, it seems. Just remembered that I had to sign a paper on coverage for new equipment, so we turned and went back, a couple of extra miles, bevause it is on the farm now. Should have been done a week ago. I am slipping!

Accountant explained these new expensing rules today...going to be a nightmare! All I needed...have simplified, now they overcomplicate things again.
0 Kudos