cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Lottery

Throwing the can and hitting a windsheild could have caused a major accident.  The car could have gone into the ditch, or if the windsheild was hit just right it could have shattered.  There could have been a death, or paralysis.  I think the kids got off pretty darn easy and lucky for their being idiots.  Maybe this way the judge is trying to keep them on the clean side of the law before something worse happens.

As for lottery, if I happen to remember I will buy a ticket or two but don't go out of my way to do it. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I wish he would treat the drug dealers the same way.  They would have been better off getting caught huffing than littering.  No jail time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I can see where this was not simply littering.  If the can had hit the ground, yes.  It hit a moving car, which makes it a different latter all together.  We've seen on the news where people were killed or badly injured by objects thrown off of highway overpasses. 

At 55 mph, and meeting someone going 55 mph, a tossed object could have a net velocity of over 100 mph...very dangerous.  Let's say they hadn't been caught, and did that when one of your kids was driving, and caused a serious accident...you would want to know how they got off so light this time. 

It was meant for them to screwup with two cops, or it wouldn't have happened that way.  I will add: There may have been something in the way they responded upon questioning or their affect that made the policemen throw the book at them.  Sometimes, being a smartass has its price. 

You don't know if their bosses have told them to go hard on this type of crime...and, ultimately, the DA could have sought a lesser chagre in court.  He chose not to.  There is some reason for that.  Maybe some precious easier treatments was not heeded as a warning.   Maybe some earlier warnings were being ignored.  More details that anyone outside the situation will ever know. 

I just hope they do not have a lot of people telling them they were treated unfairly.  That will only make them feel like martyrs. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I am not saying that this is simply littering.  As you have stated, no one knows except those involved exactly what was going on.  I never intended to imply that I knew exactly what happened.  I just thought the 90 days behind bars time for a 17 year old with a clean record seemed a little steep.  You don't even get that much time for drunk driving and hitting someone.

0 Kudos