cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Making movies for China...

The CBS morning show just informed us that American movies are essentially being made for China now. We have entered the last decade of America as the world's #1 marketplace.

Chinese moviegoers want serialized movies with monsters, explosions, and special effects...and " Transformers 4" is a joint venture with a Chinese entity. Shades of the Smithfield takeover...this was how the hog industry started whittling away its US-owned cachet a few years ago.

We rarely watch a movie, even on TV, anymore. I thought we just lacked the patience, but I guess it has to do with lack of interest of what's being offered out of Hollywood. I know some of you are big movie buffs, Netflix subscribers, etc. are you noticing this shift in subject matter, with so many movies heading towards what people want to watch in China?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Making movies for China...

Thanks, I thought that was what I heard but it seemed unlikely. Now we know why movies are not enjoyable.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Lately it has been very hard to find Netflix movies to watch.    Occasionally we find a hidden gem.   Overall,  it is hard to come up with a new thought. or story line.   Some directors we know to avoid.  Tim Burton,  is too dark and  "angry".  Quentin Tarotinio is just plain wierd!    I'm sure China will enjoy 3D,  but it made us physically ill.    They spend so much money on special effects  that sometimes  they leave holes in the script.  

Now,  having said this.   We did go to Ironman 3 and Star Trek and enjoyed both.    I'm looking forward to the next Hunger Games too.    They were talking this morning that some movies in the future will cost $25 and $50 to go see.    I'll wait for the DVD. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Part of this same interview, which was with an author who has written a book about changes in Hollywood, especially from the business side, was that DVD sales (which used to represent half of the typical10% profit margin on a movie) have collapsed, leaving only about a 6% return.  This was largely attributed to streaming/downloading. 

If you think about it, this observation you made, of what's out there, is pretty much along the lines of what the author said.  The "special effects in lieu of plot" note you made follows along there, too. 

For years now, if I found a movie I really liked, it was more likely an independent one, Sundance Channel fare, for the most part.  I will watch a classic once in a blue moon. 

I think we tend to like less formulaic dramas and even comedies...no one could work all of the nuances of a Dr. Sheldon Cooper into a two-hour screenplay, for instance.  If there is better drama out there than "Justified" or "Breaking Bad" (or, how about "Dexter"?), I would love to see it.  

The last movie I wanted to see badly enough to tolerate the crowd in a theater was "Family Man" with NIcolas Cage.  I adored it.  Now that I lack Newsweek and its reviews, I doubt I'd ever learn enough about anything new in time to catch it in first-run showings anywhere. 

From your list of criticisms, I think you will be less satisfied with movies in the future. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We have to  realize that when China becomes the #1 world market, which is projected for 2020, what  American consumers think and want will be less important.  Prepare to hear more and more indications of this shift to what has been termed the "post-American world". 

0 Kudos