cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Making progress

Setting up the laptop that we are dedicating to farm waste permit records and cattle records in the office this morning.  We are at the point now where the thing is saying "wWe are taking care of a few things", as it shares apps and stuff from the office desktop.  Microsoft is being really slow with its wireless mouse downloads this morning, though. 

Things are finally calming down a bit here right now.  Daughter and Mike are working out their use of the worklist I have given him to use to communicate production parameters to her and vice versa, under threat of divorce if they don't use it.  No, I am not kidding. 

Now, she has asked for a similar form to use with the hired man.  I have explained that I am only collecting the one completed each week between the two who are supposed to be running this place. 

If she wants to work with him on one, she can use it to say, "Week's work is done, you get paid now."  I need to stay out of that loop, except for writing and signing the paycheck,and I cash it for him, because they have no bank accounts. 

The issues that had Mike all verklempt last week are moving along at the fastest pace natural things can.  I think if this ice and snow tomorrow is our last of the winter, he may start to perk up a bit. 

Next on our to-do list, after having loads of rock dropped yesterday, is to fill in the pothole, until the motorgrader man can get through to pull up the two miles of path.  That cannot be done until the trees start to take up moisture from this soggy ground.  I have never wanted to see red maples bud out so badly in my whole life.  

Also, I am pricing out a Mule for the VA farms, so we can cover more ground on those much bigger pastures and fields.  Not that we actually need to spend more, but he's been making noises about trading in the motorcycles on one, and I am all in favor of him riding offroad, instead of exposed to the terrible drivers we encounter around here. 

Do any of you use a UTV on the farm?  We have worn out a couple of gasoline golfcarts, and I really think something heavier-duty would be worth the investment.  They had enough problems on htis flat land, and we have some REAL hills on Mike's place and now on mine. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Making progress

We have worn out several golf carts here too. The farm purchased two JD Gators last year and the guys love them.  Both are totally enclosed and four wheel drive with positive traction which is great in this snow.  Both have extra lights for checking the barns at night and one has a heater which is called wonderful. They are available with lots of add-ons. Both guys are thrilled with them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have a couple mules.   Love them.    Both have fully enclosed cabs but we take the doors off in the summer time.   My parents have a gator and a kubota UTV.  They did have some sort of off brand UTV to start with but that didn't last long.   My FIL also has a mule.

Once you have them, you really don't know how you could ever do without.   We put a lot of miles/hours on ours thru the year.   They are so handy.

One big difference to be aware of is the top speed as that varies from brand to brand.   Some will go pretty close to highway speed, and IMO that is way to fast for the way they handle.    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks for that warning. Not so much a worry for two old folks, but maybe a grandson someday. I have been made apretty decent deal on trading in the bikes...we aren't riding anymore anyway. Getting a couple of deals from different places. So far, the Mule is winning the race.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

WOW, SLC! No kidding! I am feeling okay with the Mule, at 25 mph, governed. The comparable Polaris is 80 kpm, or rght at 50 mph...hell no! Gotta call asalesman back early tomorrow, and save him from wasting time on a quote on that thing.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have used 4-wheelers for years and they are actually the handiest for running down cows gone astray in our farm but we are on our 3rd Polaris Ranger and it gets the most use over the year.  DH said it would be so handy for my gardening when he talked me into the first one.  LOL. It's rarely used for that as I never can get my hands on it & have to unload buckets, etc to make room for plants.  Again, I agree about speed.  The grandkids love to drive it & we have to reprimand occasionally about speed.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I too had to be convinced that we needed a mule..  actually the first UTV we had was a john deere 5 wheel deal..  can't remember what it was called but once we had it, we never looked back on owning one.   After having that for awhile.. and not ever being able to use it as someone else had it, we got the first mule.   We still use the 4wheelers, the nice thing about those is that you can put them in the bed of a pickup and go to the pasture or whereever.    The UTV takes a trailer to haul it from place to place.   And for just checking pasture, I still like my horse.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I was ridiculed for buying a golf cart...he took it the first morning after I bought it, and I never got it back.  Ditto for second golf cart, after a month or so.

Same thing with small (29 hp) Kubotas...I have two I have never gotten on but about twice apiece.  They were laughed at as "toys", but have the most hours on them of any tractors we own. 

Difference is this time, there is no pretense that this is for me...maybe that way, I can steal it and have some fun!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Linda, since I bought Mike a new zero-turn mower for VA, the old tractor JD one and a nice dump cart are mine...until he needs them elsewhere, I am sure! 

I enjoy having them for hauling mulch sacks and cleaning up sticks and limbs.  Man, walking the yard last evening, I could see there are tons of them to pick up.  Need to set up a chimenea and burn them. 

I am thinking we are doing some selling off of excess stuff, after seeing auctions of guys we know, and thinking about what we want our life to look like going forward.  

Mike started with the "let's sell the bikes" a few weeks ago, and I said we needed to think and be sure.  Truth be told, they will not be worth more in a year than they are today, and the waste of them sitting and going to nothing is sinful.   

When he started talking about a UTV, I recalled that the dealer where we were looking at tractors said they took trade-in bikes on Mules and such.  My random conversation that day is paying off in five figures! 

I cannot wait to see Winn on the seat of this thing, with his PaPa.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Linda you need a golf cart for your garden work. I am on my third one and could not do without it. It is so handy for bringing in buckets of vegetables and picking up limbs and hauling tools etc.

0 Kudos