cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Manhunt!

Winn and I drove through the tiny town six miles south of the farm, on our way to the bird park this morning. As we reached the outskirts of what passes for the residential area, seven police cars were on the opposite shoulder, lights blazing blue.

We got waved past, and an eighth one was a few hundred yards further along, on our shoulder, also all lit up. Something BIG happening!

Hadn't been at the park long, when daughter called to say a fugitive had escaped from law enforcement, and a search was underway. Not but a few minutes later, the friend of hers who is a nurse in town, who had texted her about the situation, called me, too.

The crew took out all of our farm truck keys, made sure the houses were all locked, warned the employee's wife to lock their house, too. I decided to drive a longer route homw when we left the park, just to avoid any possible entanglements. ,

I have texted back with that girl a couple of times throughout the day, since we got home. Turns out it is a local 20-yo male, wanted for murder. Supposedly, they had been looking for him for six weeks, and he eluded capture when they attempted to snatch him up today.

Good day for every other criminal in the county...every law enforcement resource is tied up in the manhunt. Hearing helicopters overhead, hanging low. One of those days when it's good to have some bad dogs!

This is the third manhunt around us since 1999. The others were escapes from the maximum security prison farm not far-enough away. This is our first fugitive being sought for arrest in the area. We turned our deadbolts, and the guns are in a safe. We can reach friends by text, to stay informed.

I remember when we were young adults and two bank robbers were loose near where I grew up, my father nailed the exterior doors shut, because they had no locks. Things have sure had to change with the times.

We used to be a lot less security conscious than we are now...especially after that first prison break episode. Would you be reedy to batten down or not?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Manhunt!

Last fall I woke up one morning and the kitchen counter was lined with all our vehicle keys.  Couldn't figure that out.  So I just went ahead and did my chores, morning milking crew was here and no problems going on.

After my husband got up he told me the mother of one of the kids milking the 3rd shift had called and said there was a fugitive they were looking for up the highway that goes north of the farm.

So hubby brought all the keys out of the vehicles.  Didn't lock any of the doors on the house but brought the vehicle keys in.  Said he figured a fugitive probably wouldn't try to get into the house but would steal a vehicle if the keys were in it.  Didn't make sense to me and didn't make me feel safe.

Anyway they caught the guy later that day about half froze to death in a deer blind about 10 miles from the farm.

That is the only time I can think of being concerned about a fugitive.

Down state before we bought the farm, we had a fist fight on our driveway between to drunks.  The local country tavern was at the cross roads about 3/4 of a mile from our house.  The police had just started a campaign to nail drunks leaving bars (they had advertised about it on the TV), a couple of guys had pulled into our driveway to get a cop off their tail.  Hubby always did stay up late so our house was the only one on the road with lights on.  Their noise and our dog barking at them trying to get them to pet him had woken me up then all of a sudden they're throwing punches at each other.  We're going, "do we call the cops?'  but they got in their car and left.

The other one was on a Sunday morning and we are about to leave for church.  All of a sudden squealing brakes and a crash right in front of the house.  A truck had hit a car.  We think the car had been chasing the truck, passed it and then stopped in the middle of the road to make the truck stop.  The guy in the car runs back to the truck pulls the guy out and starts beating him.  I'm starting to call the police and all of a sudden they both get in their vehicles and leave.  Weird.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Have they found him yet?   Nope,  we would not be ready.  We can lock the doors.  But, no deadbolts.  Keys are kept in all the vehicles.  I'd rather they steal one of my vehicles than try and come in my house.    We do have guns  but I do not know how to shoot one.  But,  I did tell Tom if I ever see that cougar on a night nursery check  I will learn how to load and shoot.   No dog right now  but  maybe after we get settled in next year next door  we might work on getting another farm dog.   Stay safe.    Do you lock the nurseries?   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The last report we got was that he is still at large. That is not a good sign, after this long. We may not ever know where he goes, returns, etc., if not caught soon.

I took a handgun class several years ago. Hope I never have to use one, and lock them up for Winn's safety, of course.

We usually keep keys in the junky farm trucks...not licensed and wouldn't get very far very fast. Someone would have to be very stupid to consider one flightworthy.

We have bear and coyote, for certain, and it would not surprise me to find out red wolf, too. I do not go out and stumble around at night. The dogs raise a ruckus very often from their kennel at night, so something is near enough yo set them off.

Anything that goes into the hog farm has to pass directly past the house, within a car's length. All the facilities and animals are inside a chained gate. There isn't much point in individual door locks, given our proximity and the overall layout.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yikes!  I would not be liking that.  Of course we keep the keys to all vehicles in the house except our work vehicles...need to start changing that.  Doors are locked but I'm not worried about a break in at night it's when we are gone that I worry.  I'm waiting for my ND concealed permit to get here before I purchase my handgun.  I don't need the permit but it makes the buying process easier.  I really just want it for in the vehicle not a carry on myself type deal. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There was a prisoner being transferred from one minimum security prison to another, some years ago, that managed to escape.   They weren't shackled, just handcuffed, and a couple made a run for it, after a restroom break, in a small town not far from me.   The officers/guards couldn't catch them before they disappeared into a cornfield.   Fortunately, they were near town, and the Sheriff & some deputies got there quickly, and watched the roads, so they couldn't cross out of the field they were in, without being seen.
What to do?   The Sherriff had a pretty clever idea.   It was late July, and he know who's field it was.   He had the landowner shut off all irrigation water, and they waited.   The guys ran in there, in mid-morning.  It was like 105* that day.   By mid afternoon, the guys wandered out to a road, begging to turn themselves in, if only they got some water, some mosquito bite ointment, and their feet taken care of.   Seems they were only wearing thin prison 'slippers', which I guess are more like heavy socks, and they ran right through a big patch of Texas Sandburrs, on their getaway run.   One of the guys who saw them, said they looked like giant limping mosquito bites.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This guy is no minimum security type. He is supposed to be, at age twenty, a " four star general in the Bloods." His most recent crime was to shoot up his girlfriend's mother's house. They had been looking for him for six weeks, so someone has been hiding him pretty good.

The law saw the girlfriend's car and pulled her...he was in the passenger seat. He supposedly accused her of setting him up, whipped the car down a dirt path, and disappeared into the woods. We heard today that a lot of gang members are about, looking to help him out of this jam.

I hope they settle this down soon. Makes you sort of think twice before stepping out to the local grocery store.
0 Kudos