cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Massage

I took my daughter for a treat today and we got facial's and massage's.  She wanted to go to Chicago shopping...I had to think of something quick!!  made an appt at a place we had never been to.  She has had a couple facials and a couple massages.  i have had two facials and no massages.  It was ok.  I could have spend my money better elsewhere, But i am sure she enjoyed it.  I came home with very greasy looking hair from the massage oils.  Took a shower right away, shampoo'd twice and it still feels greasy.  I wanted to go to Walmart and get some things after our appt, but no way was I going to be caught like that!  And way too many differant smells!  I think they used 10 differant lotions on my face and each one was a differant smell.  I don't do well with that and started a headache on the way home.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Advisor

Re: Massage

Your daughter is a lucky girl...what a nice surprise!

I have to say I tend to agree with you about oils and odors of massage products.  I do not like the feel of oil on my skin, and any new smell can set off my breathing issues now, it seems.  I can never predict. 

I'd say next time you take her, let her get the Full Monty massage, and you go for a mani/pedi instead.  I find the foot massage and hand massage in those services to be very relaxing, but they only use regular lotion, so it can be washed off easily to apply polish.  The aroma of that lotion is not right up in your face, either. 

My fingernail polish may not survive but a few days, but my toenails last for weeks.  Only girly thing I do. 

At least now, you left the day with an excuse to go shopping again, so not a total loss! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I know I am absolutely probably alone in this but..... YUK!    My college friends were thinking of possibly going to a spa for our yearly get together.   I told them  fine if they want to go but I WOULD NOT GO!.   I know they were extremely disappointed but there is absolutely no way I would go.  I believe I said I'd rather powerwash a hog building. #1.  I want no one touching me.   #2.  I would rather give the money to charity.   #3.  With what I do for a living  a manicure or a pedicure would be a waste of time and money.   #4. I do not wear sandals or open toed shoes.   I must have good arches in my shoes.  #5. I am Extremely tickleish especially my feet.   Keep your hands to yourself. 

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed the day.   I think my daughter and I would rather go to a hog show. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'd agree with the active role in hog farming being too much for the average manicure!  I didn't start with pedicures until one of my girls talked me into it, probably 7-8 years ago. 

My feet get really rough, and I have found it keeps them much healthier if I do not let the skin crack.  I give diabetes this much money in terms of care...have to keep your foot care up.  Not everyone needs hoof trimmings regularly, but some of us do. 

Manicures are good to keep my cuticles from getting so raggedly.  If I had learned how to care for my own nails as a girl, I would probably do it myself.  Now, my vision is so spotty, it is not easy to see well enough to do this fine-tuned care. 

Going to get chiropractic adjustments got me past the "people touching me" psychological barrier.  Pain is a great motivator.  Massage by a stranger is overrated to me, too.  When I can get a backrub at home, I am in Heaven!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Agree & disagree.  I have had a massage & did enjoy it.  It was when I was having so much trouble with my back & had to have the epidural shots of cortisone.  The chiropractor did no good, I really gave that the full treatment.  The theraputic massage gave me some relief without irritating my disks by movement.  There were no smells to her lotions-only relaxation music which was nice.  I tried 2 different places & prefered one over the other.  One of the gals also works in the physical therapy dept. of the hospital.  My hair salon has a new one that also gives the chair massage (got a freebie) and it was relaxing to my shoulders.

As far as a pedicure, I'm not crazy about someone messing with my feet.  They're not pretty anyway.  Like Suey, with boots on my feet everyday even the nail polish I occasionally slap on gets worn off.  I sometimes just touch it up-would make a nail technicial cringe I'm sure.  It'd be a waste of $ at this point in my life.  And a manicure would be for sure-short nails for work & gardening. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Unlike most of you, I am guessing, I am barefoot in a public place several times a week.  In TKD, we are allowed to wear special martial arts shoes; but, I find that they interfere with my balance...I need my toes in contact with the mats, for grip. 

Our feet - top and bottom - are thus very visible, and good grooming of them (or lack of it)  is obvious.  I would no more think of going to train with my feet looking rough than you would think of going to town without combing your hair, I guess. 

Given that, and my diabetic concerns, foot care is important to me.  I also enjoy comparing my toenail enamel with the teenagers and the little girls in class...they get a kick out of my "Treehugger" green right now.  I am planning to switch to probbaly a periwinkle later on today, time permitting. 

Some students even match their toenails to their belt color...I did when I first went blackbelt.  Only time it's a problem is when breaking boards with kicks...you can literally knock the paint off your nails, and embed it in the wood!

I like wearing open-styled shoes, like my Keen flipflops and river sandals, sometimes Rainbows.  Some show more toenails than others.  I could live without the nail enamel, but they charge the same for the service, either way, so why not enjoy it a bit? 

It is funny to me that Mike notices and comments upon my toenail color.  I guess when you don't do much cosmetically, they notice what little you do.... 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Well I never liked to have my feet messed with and mine were stuck in boots all of the time also. Now that dd is in Cosmo school I get to try new things for a fraction of the cost. I was suprised how much it gave me a boost everytime I looked down at my pretty toes and no callouses or cracks in the wintertime. The girls aren't allowed to clip the toes because of the risk to diabetics but they learn foot massage and pedicures. Haven't talked her dad into it yet ....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

So funny!! I always tell people I would rather scoop manure than go grocery shopping!!!  i don't think a mani or a pedi is gonna happen here either.  I usually paint my nails at Christmas!  I don't know why, just the spirit I guess.  My fingernails are farm wife nails, dried out and short.  my feet are like you all's, dry.  How in the world does anyone do anything with 1/4 to 1/2 fake nails hangin off their fingers???  I just look at those people and wonder sometimes if they work...Sorry if I offend anyone that does have them, but they wouldn't work for me.  Gotta love us all!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My luck if I would wear them that I would have a gilt having trouble farrowing. Imagine how fake nails would work in a plastic sleeve pulling pigs. They are more trouble than they are worth for me dealing with livestock.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I bought one of those handheld massagers and they work great for me. Strangers touching me would give me the creeps too, but I know the chiropractor good enough that I don't get the heebie-geebies. I use it to keep my muscles from going into spasms as much.

I don't have problems with my cuticles. Good gloves and moisturizer help a lot

0 Kudos