cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Midwest Farm
Veteran Contributor

Mediterranean-style diets found to cut heart risks.

This is not new information, but it reinforces what we all know...I'm excited because I have drastically changed my eating habits and they are very close to the Med-style diet. I don't eat hardly any chicken, but do indulge in the rest, i.e. fruits, veggies, olive oil, almonds, and of course red wine.

The NutriBullet thingee is PERFECT for helping with this! I know we've discussed this a bit on this site, so please excuse my giddyness. ha.

A difficult part of eating this way is that the rest of the household has limited interest in doing so. I have made my mindset of "what would I eat if I were alone?" and this is what I would do. Anyone else have to "cater" to different tastes than their own? I think alot of women get stuck in the cooking routine dependent on what their husband's want...totally understandable, but I have kind of quit compromising myself for this. And the additional fruits falling out of the refrigerator are as easy for others in the house to grab as for me...benefiting all!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Mediterranean-style diets found to cut heart risks.

You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news reports on the diet findings this week. Thanks to you telling me about the Nutribullet, my diet has done a huge turnaround, too.

Mike isn't ready to shift all the way, but he has noticed that every time we have beef, I literally get sick and cannot sleep at all. He was the one who connected the meals with the digestive upset. I guess I eat so little of it, I have lost the digestive enzymes to process it.

The meals I make are basically chicken breast or shrimp,and vegetables, ginormous salads with the ACV vinaigrette ( with the EVOO), and the fruit and veggie smoothies, of course. I have been stuck on a weight plateau for several weeks, but the end of it is in sight now. Since I prepare meals when we stay at Jenna's, and Mike cooks more here, I govern meal choices there, and when I take over the kitchen here, which I do more often now.

Focus on the changes you can make easiest first..Maybe brown rice in place of potatoes, for example. Slip in more green leafy veggies, maybe sautéed in the olive oil with some garlic.

Changing drastically in one move is easier for some personalities than for others, who require more gradual changes. Mike is very resistant to change, for example. I am more of an all or none type. Sound familiar?

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Am still on my morning smoothie.  Change it up once in a while.  Still get hungry mid-morning so I am going to have to find something to eat besides M & M's at my desk.  I too am getting tired of the same ole, same ole at the dinner table.  Went to the store on my lunch break and got things to make taco's for supper.  I was very surprised that hamburger was $4.19 a lb.  I have been useing our hamburger which is moderately freezer burnt.  I am tired of roasts, steaks etc. that are still in the freezer.  Deer meat doesn't look appetizing either.  So I am on a mission now to find something for my DH and I to eat.  My DS isn't there much anymore for supper.  Still have to do the eggs twice a week to keep the number of cartons in the fridg down.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Just stocked up on shrimp and flounder at Sam's.  Greens coming out of our ears, but with the apple cider vinaigrette, I can take it. 

The smoothies I have are so chocked with fiber and seeds (chia, pumpkin, sunflower, hemp or flax), that I never get hungry...when you think that each one is five servings minimum of plant foods, that makes sense. 

Mike and our daughter grilled salmon fillets on the panini grill for lunch...she had marinated them in Italian dressing.  We just had scampi for supper, with a side of fruit salad. 

We will still slip and eat out Mexican or Chinese, but try to select the less-horrendous mistakes when we do. 

Try some seeds in your smoothie...for healthy fat and protein. 

0 Kudos