cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Meteor showers, Robin Williams & ramblings....

Will any of you step outside tonight or tomorrow evening, to witness the Perseid meteor shower? Many astronomic events seem to appear best in the wee hours, so I often sleep through them...this one is said to be best tonight at nine, tomorrow about ten.

The news of the apparent suicide of Robin Williams last night was so saddening, but not so surprising, to me. Watching all the clips and tributes on media this morning, I am reminded of his true comedic genius. Sad to think his soul was so tormented that his life didn't seem worth living anymore. I hope he is at peace now.

These two events remind me of the yin and yang. The " eye" in each half of this symbol is there to remind us thst there is a bit of the opposite in everything.

Speck of light in the darkness, like a meteor in an inky sky, black seed of depression in the heart of a brilliantly funny man....it is that little bit of the opposite that lets us perceive the presence of the main body. It is how we define things, as darkness is the absence of light...quiet we say is the absence of noise...wellness means being without illness. You have to know one to understand the other.

Hope all of you have a good day. Mine will be spent mostly in pursuit of a clean house, which means the absence of dirt. Hoping for a sunny one, with an absence of rain, but that seems unlikely from the sky's appearance right now.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Meteor showers, Robin Williams & ramblings....

I enjoyed his movies & Mork & Mindy will always be etched in my mind as the first of an entertaining show.  But to watch him in some of his interviews were so frantic I didn't enjoy him.  But it's so sad.  Our neighboring small town has had a multitude of young high school students that committed suicide.  They have brought in counselors & programs, and the town has a Walk for Suicide prevention. 

And this hits close to home here.  I had an uncle who committed suicide and two weeks ago we had a neighbor who lost his brother to suicide; very well planned I must add.  This case was really tragic.  The faenly was close to us personally over the years.  6 boys.  The dad had an alcohol problem (many of the boys too) and lost the farm from mismanaging, then when he was going to lose the house they had moved to in town, committed suicide.  Oldest boy (our best man) was killed on his electrical lineman job, another passed from health issues from alcohol & more, and a year ago last May one of the twins committed suicide.  The remaining "boys" held their breath & watched the other twin make it through May, and also through their 50th birthday but he couldn't fight it and after much planning-writing notes to friends & family throughout his house, went to the cemetary & laid his bible on his parents grave & used a gun.  So out of six there are only 2 surviving and one is in the hospital fighting cancer & it doesn't look good.  What a load our neighbor - one of the two - has.  I pray for him.  We definitely need more & better mental health management.

On a lighter note-LOL.  I have enjoyed the beautiful moon of late & might make it out for the meteors.  So many times I look forward to such sights only to have an overcast sky.  Maybe tonight-  -

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

What a tragic family history! Seems some genetic legacies are very hard to overcome...the melancholy Irish in me makes a lot of days darker than I wish they were, for sure.

The funniest people seem to me to be trying the hardest to overcome their own sadness. I sometimes felt that frantic grasp in the interviews you mention...they were Williams at his most unbridled hilarious extreme. Scripts just seemed to hold it in check a bit. We saw him live a few years back, and even the planned standup routine wasn't as wild as when he sat next to Johnny Carson....

Wishing we could be sitting on our porch at Jenna's tonight for the meteors, but We are overcast and stuck in Carolina today. Winn and his Mommy should be there for it tomorrow night, so hoping for no clouds then.

Three days running on the road ahead...not my best planning, but unavoidable. Exhausted by all day gone yesterday!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The history of that family is indeed tragic..sad. I hope all of the news stories and coverage do not bring on a rash of other copy cat stories. It is a trend that I do not understand especially among teens. One here was a boy getting ready for the prom in a couple of days.  He had a date, seems that kids here will not go without a date anymore.

I have watched the metor showers but won't get up again to do it. We are in need of clear skies and sunshine.

0 Kudos