cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Missing culture??

A month or two ago, Newsweek magazine went totally digital. This was one I had subscribed to pretty close to nonstop for well over forty years...since tenth grade. I am missing it a lot.

The news can be gotten in a hundred places now, but I really am finding that it is the cultural stuff - book and movie reviews, trends in fashion and the arts, etc. -that I am out of sync with these days. Not that I wanted to dress in designer duds, but I did like knowing what was going on in our larger culture.

I used to really keep up with scientific and medical advances in this magazine, too. The writers had a way of breaking down complex concepts to my level of understanding, without being condescending. What I found was that when we went anywhere, I could follow the conversation at hand, pretty much without exception.

I guess Time is still out there. CBS Sunday Morning carries some of the same stuff, but seems stodgier. I know the digital version is out there, but I am just not ready to wrap my head all the way around that yet. Maybe I should just float a subscription and see.

Are any of you enjoying digital magazines, or can you recommend a substitute print one for my missing Newsweek?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Missing culture??

I am with you on this. It is relaxing to pick up a magazine and read when there is some slack time.  I miss it too but won't read it online.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't read Newsweek that much but I tried a couple magazines on my Kindle & didn't care for the system.  Maybe didn't give it much of a chance.  I think perhaps an Ipad would be better for this.  When in doctor offices, etc. I try to pick up a current one I've not read to see if it would be worthwhile to purchase.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The screen size on either my latest Kindle or iPad 2 would be about equal in size. I had quite a bit of difficulty with some of the font and background choices Newsweek was making in its last year or so in print.

Smaller screens would be an impossible struggle, and sitting up at a desktop robs every bit of relaxation from the magazine reading experience. This is the last reading that I would want to feel like work.

I have thought about Time, but have never really liked it all that much, when I had no other choice, like in a waiting room. I am actually surprised how much I miss it....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Is your latest kindle the larger HD?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes..it is beautiful.
0 Kudos