cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Mountain lions

I read in the paper a while back where a law enforcement officer shot one, within a couple blocks of a schoolhouse, near dismissal time.   It was prowling around the town, and was showing no fear of people, and with school getting out soon, they felt they had no other choice.   They came across it in someone's backyard, and while I don't know the details, they felt the best thing to do was dispatch it.

Funny, but the DNR was saying up to that point, that there weren't any around.

0 Kudos
Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

Couple of years ago a cougar was killed on I-35 just a short distance from downtown Kansas City. Another last year about 40-miles east near Richmond.

In my suburban area there have been reports of a bear about two-miles from us.

And pictures from a neighbor of a bobcat climbing their fence.

Coyotes too but when I lived near Philadelphia there were all over Farimont Park.

Enough road-kill for them, so far. Not unusual to see half-a-dozen dead deer along roads going the 17-miles to downtown KC.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

We have plenty of 'yotes and other wild animals around here.  The fox in the spring that team up with the horses to mess with the dogs.  Plenty of big cats tend to wander around the area along with the usual deer and moose.  Occasinally we'll see Elk in the area and 1 year we did have a bear close by.  A gray wolf was shot not to far away as well.  You go over to northern MN and you run into Timberwolves, bear, moose, bobcat, lynx, mountain lion....plus the usual wildlife variety.

0 Kudos