cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Movies?

As usual on the morning of Oscar Night, the CBS morning show is full of everything cinematic today.  That means that for the next week or so, all we'll hear is what everyone wore on the red carpet,  who won and how that is making the movie earn even more millions. 

I routinely read movie reviews in Newsweek, and I suppose I make mental notes.  When one shows up eventually on the satellite programming guide, I have a good idea of its plot and stars, but I don't consciously make a list of what I'd like to watch in advance.  

While I comprehend that this entertainment medium is a lucrative business, and one of our culture's defining arts, I haven't been out to a movie in ages, have you? 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Movies?

NO!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Actually, yes.  But it had been a long time since we had gone.  We went to see True Grit.  And I do occasionally take the kids to a new Disney or kids flick.  We adults can forego the popcorn & drinks but I did have to get the popcorn for kids.  Cannot believe the prices they charge.  More than it was to take the 3 kids for the show!

As for the Oscars-I could care less.  I think it's pretty political.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Last time I went, it was 7 or 8 dollars for a matinee. I figure I can wait a few months and watch it on Redbox for $1/day or at the local store for $4/day. Movie popcorn is really good, but pricey. Can make my own (not as buttery) for much less. Drinks are expensive everywhere; so water has become my main liquid beverage when going out.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We don't do redbox, but we normally wait for the DVD.  I took the kids for a treat over Christmas break.  The other grandma does the ice show ($$).  I'm not competing but just wanted some special time with them. 

True Grit was something my guys wanted to do.  The matinee always works best for our time schedule & our $$.

With the new TV & Blueray, we're pretty happy to just watch that.  I am going to get some Cat. wire to hook it up & try Netflex.  May not work here though.  Maybe I should try it on the computer first.

Those big purses accomodate some drink bottles pretty well for the kids. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Advisor

Will your ISP support movie viewing?  I can watch youtube videos, but sometime shave to pause and wait, 

I have watched a couple of 30-minute TV episodes when I missed the pilot of "Raising Hope" and wanted to re-view the second episode.  Don't think Hughesnet moves fast enough for a full feature. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

We do go out about once a month to see a movie at the local theater. The last was True Grit.

For a real treat our theater will run old movies on Wednesday afternoon throughout the year for free. So for the cost of a bag of popcorn it is a pretty cheap treat for our senior citizens.

As for the Oscars, It's right up there on my list with the Prince Andew/Kate Middleton frenzy. Don't care about either.

0 Kudos
Advisor

You mean you didn't get an invite to the Royal Wedding? 

0 Kudos
Advisor

We are looking forward to seeing "True Grit" when it comes to satellite.  Right now, we are watching "Crazy Heart," which won big for Jeff Bridges last year.  I can see why....

"Sunday Morning" had a feature on tearjerkers, and how Hollywood has largely quit making them.  (The exception is the animated films like "Up.") The rationale is that they are "chick flicks." 

Althougth 52% of tickets sales are to women in the US, the worldwide profit is made from distributing movies that appeal to the average teenaged boy.   It is still the character-driven movies that interest me, though, and that seem to garner more nominations. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Not this time...lol

0 Kudos