cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Movies?

If there is something we really want to see we will go if hogs, crops and weather allow.  Last one was True Grit.   Just hasn't been anything we have wanted to see since.     We usually try and watch most on Netflix or from the Co. Library.  

I do not watch the Oscars, Golden Globes or other  award shows for music either.    And I really could care less about Royal watching.  

One of our favorite activities  when we are suffering from a drought  is to go to the movies to escape the reality. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sitting here watching the Oscars, not really into it though.  but I would like to see the young lady from True Grit get something.  She was very good in the movie.  We went out to supper I think it was last weekend and then went for a drive in our next "mid" town - the town between our small town and the city.  They have a small movie theater and the guys saw that True Grit was playing.  I am not a movie goer and even said they could take me home and come back to the movie.  But we played high schoolers and got something to drink and drove around until the movie started.  I don't even think the theatre would hold 50 people and the owner got up front of say the 10 people that were there and talked a little about the movie and gave away a free pop and popcorn before the movie started.  I did enjoy it, although I couldn't understand some of what was said.  Don't know if it is because I don't hear certain tones or if it was the movie itself. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Was it mostly the young girl you had trouble understanding?  I recall seeing some interviews and promos about the movie, in which much was made about her never having acted before, and also that her dialogue had no contractions in it, which was typical of that thime in history. 

I think a very different cadence trhat would come of such an unfamiliar pattern of speech/linguistics compared to now would perhaps make it hard to make out what she was saying.  I am having a lot of trouble picking up song lyrics as I age...it's very frustrating, so I know what you mean about missing out on a lot.  . 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't quite get all the dialogue.  She was a little difficult to catch but he was difficult at times too.  I find I'm having more trouble lately with tones.  If DH is turned away from me his voice is hard to understand for me & DS.  Sometimes I wonder if he's the one with the problem since there's more than myself who can't understand him.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

We went to see Just Go With It, was ok, our movie is $4 a ticket!  Of course it costs more to eat than to see the movie, but the dr pepper, popcorn and hotdogs are wonderful there, it's in Carnegie, Oklahoma

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Advisor

We saw The Social Network on the cruise ship last month.  It was supposed to win a lot of awards until The King's Speech was released in time to give it a run for the money.  We thought Social Network was a very good movie and would recommend it. 

0 Kudos