cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Re: National Obesity problem

We were watching the news today, and saw our Iowa governor at a rally. The man has gained so much weight since he was leautenant governor just a few short years ago, it is hard to recognize him. What struck me about this speech was that the Governor was absolutely out of breath., he couldn't say a whole sentence without gasping for breath. He either has a respiratory problem or his heart is about to burst.  Such a shame, he looks just terrible. 

I am finally motivated to do something about my own weight gain.  I have joined the local YMCA and spend an hour on the tredmill (walking, not running) doing 3 miles and then do swimming laps for another short hour, which is another mile.  So, four miles per day at least 3 days per week. But, the time it takes out of my day is enormous. I know I can't keep doing this forever, it's all I get done. I don't see much for weight loss, but I am getting more toned. I think it has to do with how ravenous I am when I get home..............I still need to work on that part of my get healthy plan.  I have seen the young people that are my lifeguards swimming, and I will say, I don't think all of them could actually save me. They are not  very good swimmers and seem to be out of shape for being so young. I'm a WSI myself, so I know technically, they are not where they should be with their strokes, which tells me that the standards have dropped tremendously. 

It is a very sad thing when you see an overweight child, because you can just about predict, it's downhill from there. When parents lead by example with healthy eating and exercise, a child could well be adding years to their lives if they follow their parents good examples, or if the opposite is true, they could be losing years.  I was in good shape when the kids were young and now all three of my kids are very health conscious. They all run, work out at a rec center and don't believe in gravy. Smiley Happy  We rarely eat fast food, we live too far away from a McDonalds for that.  We eat out maybe once per month , so I don't see that those meals really impact the total picture very much. It's what I cook at home that is making me fat, so I can't blame anyone else but me I guess. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I agree that stocking a pantry is an expensive undertaking...but you can start with what you'd blow on one trip to a fast food joint, by buying a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter, and have sandwiches for a week's worth of lunches, instead of a one-meal return.  No refrigeratioin required.  If you are not a peanut eater, buy a pound of ham or turkey slices for four bucks and the loaf, and still have a week's worth of meals for six to seven bucks. 

How much time does it take to lay two slices of bread out and fold some sliced deli meat onto them?  Anyone too trifling to make a sandwich is not worth feeding to me. 

Do you realize how long it takes to drive to and stand in line at some "fast" food places at noon?  I waited in line for 20 minutes one day before the lunch rush set in, to get a pre-made salad and fountain drink...for $7.39.  That was not counting one second for the drive over there from campus or back to afternoon lab. 

People do a lot of rationalizing for things they simply do not want to do.  I live in the middle of nowhere, too.  Closest diner is ten minutes in either direction.  Chinese takeout same distance both ways.  Fast food in a minimum of 20 minutes to one right beside the interstate...for any choice, 30-35 to town.in either direction.  I figure a dollar per mile to drive...$20-25 to drive one way for a crappy hamburger and cardboard fries.  If you turn aroundnd drive home again, the cost rises to $40 -50 for travel alone. 

Only cheap eat out is Sam's, where I get a nice, big Nathan's dog and huge fountain drink with refills for $1.70, with tax, $1.83.  I eat there most times I am in the city at lunchtime.  If I had to, I could take a $2 pack of dogs and a $1.50 sack of buns, and eat lunch for over a week for about 25 cents a day.  Best shape I've been in since college was having a dog at mid-day at Woolworth's counter when working in town for a summer.  If I want to eat super healthy, my big tub of organic spring greens is less than $4 and the dressing is about $4 for a week's worth of good-for-you salads, about a dollar a day. 

It does not have to be expensive to eat well, even at a retail grocer's...and it is very expensive for everyone who shares your health plan or pays taxes for Medicaid if you do not. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Being skinny is not a healthy state for everyone.  I tend to try to watch numbers like my BP and blood sugar more than the number on the scales.  I had to learn to stay hungry a lot in the past to lose weight, but I have to admit that I can either be hungry or deal with stress - but not both at once - without becoming an evil person.  I have finally figured out a reasonable way to handle hunger, which is the crux of weight control for me.   

If hunger is a real problem, especially if you know you are not really hungry, you might want to look around and find someone who's doing the "skinny staple."  The girl who owns the spa where I get my fur burnin's is a Physician Assistant, and she is trained to do this form of accupuncture on the cartilage in your ears.  It and a minor massage of the vagus nerve pathway, right above the top of your jawbone, for a few seconds four times a day, will suppress hunger like nothing I've ever experienced.  (If you Google this procedure, it actually gets good marks for effectiveness...the vagus nerve carries sensations from the viscera to your brain.)

Some of us have just tried the stapling in the past week or so, and I'd estimate that my food intake is half to one-third what it was before I got it done. I think is was about $50 (it was tacked onto several other spa services I had done that day, and I do not pick that bill apart, as I consider it all maintenance of me!)  All of us are having good response to the procedure, and are losing weight without being hungry.  I really am only eating because it's mealtime, and my diabetes requires I keep intake fairly levelled out across the course of the day. 

The two best aspects for me are that I am not snacking at nighttime, and I am sleeping like a baby.  The better rest alone is worth the two staples driven into my ears.  For aftercare,  I have to dab alcohol on a Qtip onto the spots twice a day for 2 weeks, then 2 times a week after that, plus put on antiseptic cream once a day for now.  The staples are supposed to stay in from two to six months.  I would anticipate that I will need to repeat them at least once or twice, depending upon my stress levels with school this fall, and how long each set is effective. 

Did not hurt nearly as much as does getting ears pierced did to me.  The staples are very tiny and not obtrusive to anyone...Mike did not even notice them for almost a week, until I told him and pointed them out to him.  It does help to have someone look at them to be sure you aren't getting red, as they have to come out if they get infected.  You get the little pliers to remove them when the procedure is done, in case this happens out of hours.  My spa will replace them free, if they go bad in the first two weeks. 

I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels not to be driven to distraction by hunger for the first time in many, many years.  I don't expect to get thin overnight, but I cannot help but lose weight if my intake stays this controlled and I keep training hard three nights a week.  If working out alone would shape you up for good,I'd be a model by now, after four years of hard training.  You body adapts somewhat to the workload, and you have to mix it up...which is what I have elected to do with the staples. 

Good luck with your workouts.  They can't hurt, and are surely helping.  I only mention the stapling since you mentioned being hungry...it's one more tool to me. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is no doubt in my mind that Hyperthyroidism is genetic.  My mother, younger sister and I all had hyperthyroidism.    Today we all have hypothyrodism  all taking synthroid to maintain our levels of thyroid enzymes.     My mom had surgery,  my sister and I took radioactive iodine.     I developed it at age 21.   We figured it out when I went to find a wedding dress and my good dress pants were too big.   We bought a size 8 wedding dress.  By my wedding 9 months later  I needed my usualy size 10.  Boy,  was it tight.  I always was a big eater when I was younger.   I was a skinny little girl and people always wondered if I had a hollow leg.   When the hyperthyroid hit I at constantly to keep from passing out.  

I still have that  wedding dress with absolutely no  way  of ever wearing it.    I hope maybe someday I'll have Granddaughters who want to play with it.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Mmm, don't think I'm into the staples Kay.  Sounds good but I don't know about that for me.

I DO need to get into shape & lose weight.  Really need to get back to WW and start walking again.  I admire you old&rusty.  How far do you have to travel to the Y?  Just need to get back on my feet medically before I start.  My knee & back seem better so I think I can tackle a slow start.

After I could hardly swallow the other night I made the trip to the dr.  He has me on a different antibiotic & also prednisone for swelling in my ears, throat & clearing my chest.  Last night I got about 3 1/2 hrs sleep & the way I feel right now it won't be much better tonight thanks to the prednisone.  I do feel better otherwise.  Wired but not much coughing, etc.  Probably crash when  I get off of them.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You have to be well to work out.  I hope you feel better soon...this has been a long, drawn-out illness for you!

I do not know how far Rusty has to drive to her workout spot, but the do jhang I train in is 22 miles one way.   I allow 35 minutes to get there, plus about fifteen for dressing out in my do bok and belt and stretching to warm up a bit.  I have to drag on support braces for both knees and also my right ankle, so it takes a bit longer to change and get ready for classes than just slipping clothes off and on again.   

After two classes straight, the knee braces have welded themselves to my legs, since they are made of Bioskin material that won't slip down once you start to sweat.  I often cannot get them off until an hour or so after I've stopped training, so end up wearing them and usually my do bok pants on the drive home.  I do change out after classes if it's cold out, since my whole uniform is drenched with perspiration. 

I usually take two classes due to the distance involved and my level of training.  After more than four years of this work, it takes more than one to get the benefit.  Sometimes, I will arrive early and help with the children's class, too.   

Due to my bad knees, I try to work out no more often than every other day, to allow a day to heal in between sessions.  You have to learn what your body can take, and not let anyone egg you on too far too fast.  You have to figure out your own path and follow it.  

A lot of people with back and knee problems end up liking water aerobics or lap swimming, since the water bears most of your body weight.  If you have arthritis, it really helps if the water in the pool is heated enough for comfort. 

Veteran Contributor

The Y I go to is 20 miles from me, so the travel time to and from takes a bit of time. Changing and showering and blowdrying. My hair feels like gum. I just don't seem to be able to get the chlorine smell out of it! But, I was noticing today something, by gosh my calves seem to be much better than two months ago and there is a lot less jiggle in my thighs! So, even though the scale disappoints me when I get on it, I will say things ARE changing! But, what about this flabby stomach, my gosh, I look like I have a watermellon under my shirt. Very stubborn area for me.

Kay, when you said STAPLING, I thought you were talking about somach stapling! Whew!  I've never heard of ear staples, I'll have to look into that, I haven't heard of anyone around here advertising it. There is a gal in town that had the stomach stapling ,lost all kinds

of weight and has since gained it all back. Which goes to show that weight gain is more mental than anything. 

Now, for the infuriating part.............. I'm literally working my a## off investing all kinds of sweat equity in this get healthy project of mine, and my husband announced yesterday that he has lost 12 pounds and I swear he has not done a thing different! He has never even BEEN to the Y!  GGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

God, NO!  I do not intend to alter my innards, unless that gets to be the only way I can stay mobile.  Carrying too much weight does ruin your lower limbs and joints, but so far, I am managing to keep moving about pretty well.     

We are seeing a lot of people locally go for lapband.  That is a four-year commitment to the weight loss process, and I am sure there is a lot of counseling involved.  Most of them will probably regain it...since 95% of people who lose weight usually do just that, no matter how they do it. 

You really will not lose it unless you figure out  why you gained it in the first place.  It will simply find you again. 

For me, it has been living a very stressful life that did it, I am sure.  First, worrying about Mike in a very dangerous work environment while I was an at-home mom with three tiny, dependent babies (plus his job insecurity back then), dealing with our right-to-farm issues in VA and here, then the mining problems on my homeplace. 

If just rearing three kids so close together and running our farm wasn't enough, there were issues with the guy who built this place - two years in court.  Having a real neighborhood stalker for one of my girls, and a mentally confused coach who started to put things in our mailbox anonymously for the other, before his family hospitalized him, did not help, either.  

I realize now, too, that I chose the wrong profession starting out, and dealing with not being happy with it whenever I tried to practice it was another disappointment.  I do not mean to whine, but I can stand at 55 and look back and see how different events in  life were milestones that turned into literal millstones around my neck.  You can see yours too, can't you? 

Although we have reached a pretty peaceful point in life right now, I am having to deal with the weight I gained in the last two-year mining battle.    Also, I keep looking over my shoulder, pinching myself and not trusting that things will always be this calm.  It is that waiting-for-the-other-shoe-to-drop sensation. 

I think that once you learn to recognize the physical gnawing of stress in your stomach that is fooling you into thinking it is hunger, you have a fighting chance to win this battle, or at least arrive at some level of truce that is healthier and happier.  I do know that "dieting" only works for the people selling you the latest gimmick...they gain a lot of weight in their pocketbooks.   

Oprah is making a big deal right now about Geneen Roth's Women, God and Food.  I have read some of Roths' earlier works, and she has some very good points to make.  I am about a fourth of the way through this one...and some of it so far is very profound.  I keeep dog-earing pages, which is a good sign that it is speaking to me.   

You might find it enlightening, too.  I am also reading another one on understanding the rules of "normal" eating, since I have eaten oddly in a diet-driven mode  for so long.   I have forgotten what it is like to just eat what I am physically hungry for, instead of trying to meet some other need with food. 

The great thing about exercise is that it usually dampens my appetite.  I limit intake before I train, since the blood flow cannot  be directed away from your muscles when you are ramped up as hard as we are in  classes.  I grab a light snack - a banana or orange, for example - a couple of hours before training, and then don't eat again until six hours later.  I am trying out soilbabe's miracle cereal with some dried fruit, agave and cream, and it is very satisfying, as she and hymark say.  Got to go and have my late lunch now, as training in the evening is on tap for today. 

You are going to find that the middle mass will go last...but you are obviously making headway.  You did not gain it in two weeks, and it will take some time to work it off...but this is the only way to really get it gone.  I have fifty pounds I do not ever see anymore, thirty more I deal with having as unwanted visitors for a while before shooing them away, and a few more beyond that that I'd like to send packing permanently. 

0 Kudos