cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Neckline?

Almost afraid to ask this one, after seeing what our friend mike/seil has on top of his refrigerator (shop or house one, mike?) 

Went out today in a short-sleeved tee shirt for the first time this spring.  My skiin crawls unless they are all cotton, and I have to have V-necks.  I buy vees, and have them custom tie-dyed, b/c all the styles my dye artists do as stock have round necks. 

If I am forced to wear a round-neck style for a volunteer day or want to wear our school's printed one on Fridays in TKD, I take scissors and cut a gash about the length of the blades.  Ends up being about the same freedom at my throat as the vees are. 

Can't believe I used to wear turtlenecks...cannot stand anything close at my neckine anymore.   Even my dressier Ruby Roads have vees, too. 

Do you wear all sorts of necklines - everyday or dress - or do you have a special style you want to wear all the time, too?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Neckline?

Wow, I've never really thought about it but I guess I'm more of a round neck person myself or more of a scoop I should say.  I wear alot of polos and button downs but never button the top buttons.  In the winter I'm a hoodie person or windshirt person.  My biggest peeve with my neck is hair on my neck.  It kills me to grow my hair out because I hate having hair on my neck but I suffer through it until I get sick of long hair and cut it off again.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I can really wear most types, but I also like the V. I just ordered some Tees on line and hope they fit. It is hard to find ones that are long enough for me. I like to wear simple tees and add a necklace and earrings. The main thing I look for is sleeves, I hate sleeveless shirts now that I am older. I like a short sleeve or 3/4, for some reason my arms just look better in them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Oh, this is so funny after my conversation w/my mom!  I'll answer question first.

In cold weather I like a loose turtle neck because my neck seems to be susceptable to the cold air; sore throats & the like.  During summer I like V neck in the fall I like round neck or a little more scooped.  I used to always wear tanks in the summer but since I lost weight my arms are pretty horrendous.  Probably too late to lift weights but I'd better try at least.  Depressing.  My neck has also shown my age as my dad's did, inhereted. Smiley Sad

Now to my mom story.  Last weekend I did not feel well again.  Not sure what my problem was but it brought me down physically & mentally.  Terribly depressed for a couple days.  My mom wanted to clean her self cleaning oven & didn't know how.  (In 5 yrs. she'd never cleaned it & it looked practically brand new.  OCD)  I had also had a rash on my chest so when we went to fish fry on Fri. nite I wore my Ruby Rd. which as Kay mentioned, are a lower cut.  No jewelry due to rash.  So my mom made my day by informing me although I looked nice since I lost weight I should a)  Wear my hair "poofier" or higher on the top and  b) wear a scarf around my neck.

REALLY made my day-sunk my already low spirits!  Grrrrr.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Aren't they just precious, those moms?  I know they mean well but....

Gotta love 'em.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Welcome to the club: Kids of OCD Moms. 

I can empathize with your scarf story.  Mine would stand on the church steps and stop me befroe I could get inside,  untie, then re-tie my blouse...when I was 35 years old. 

Of course, everything I had that was dressy back then had a bow at the neckline.  NOTHING I have owned in over 20 years now has had one.  I have sworn to haunt anyone who would dare bury me in one. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Your point about sleeves is a similar issue with me.  I like working sleeveless at home, or a tank top or cami sportsbra,  to avoid tan lines on my arms in summertime. 

I do not feel it's so much the condition of my arms, since they aren't bad for an old lady, with the pushups I do in TKD.  It's more of a "less is more" philosophy with showing skin as I get older. 

What I wear away is going to have at least a short sleeve, and for dress, most likely a 3/4, now that I have found Ruby Road. 

Anything that is not cotton with maybe 5% Spandex is going to be C-9 microfiber.  If it's not a vee-neck, it has to have a zipper or buttons placketed at the front, so  can have the same feel of nothing touching my throat.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have the same problem with sleeves and it is tough finding polo type or tees with enough sleeve.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It used to be that juniors' clothing had the skimpy sleeves and sleeveless styles more, and misses' clothing had more coverage.  That doesn't seem true anymore, unless you look at the "old lady" things that my girls call "granny clothes."  They will tell me to put the hanger back on the rack and walk away. 

0 Kudos