cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Never a dull moment...

...around here. Woke up to our genset cranking up, about five a.m. No telling when the co-op will get us back up and running. Daughter and SIL are supposed to be hauling Winn off later today, for the big Mickey cruise.
They have a house/horse sitter coming to stay, in a house and barn that have no power or water. I can put her up in my office, but the water's not going to thaw out there until Sunday. That would just leave all of Elly May's critters to haul water a mile to....
It is negative something in this windchill.

Hired man's house has water from the county, but after sun-up, I have told Mike to locate a spare quartz heater and borrow a camping generator from the kids' LQ horse trailer, so they don't freeze. They have totalled their car ( long and sordid story there),and there are too many of them to haul to a hotel room in any vehicle we have. Got to manage to keep them safe here.

Hoping this is a short-lived outage. No reason for it, really...except extreme cold and wind. Nothing new is supposed to fall, until tomorrow at earliest. Hard to figure what might have happened.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Never a dull moment...

not that dramatic here.  Just the cold and thankfully we've missed the snow.  Sure do hope we don't end up with a power outages because they haven't addressed generating power yet.

Flu has hit the employees here.  One missed one day, but she has gamely gotten back even though she still feels really bad.  Another one left shift early Tuesday night and he hasn't been back yet.  Wednesday worked out ok because there was some one scheduled that could do his job, so another employee covered the milking and yesterday was his day off so hopefully he's back today.  It's a little bit of a deal when one of the guys is out because the 2 women don't operate equipment. So that means a little juggling to make sure that task gets covered.  Wouldn't be too big of a day but the oldest employee who has been with us the longest  was taking a few days of much needed vacation time. 

Then last night when milking shift started hubby comes crashing into the house for the well man's phone number.  Apparently some controller for the system that directs the pre cooller water to the barn waterers quit working which I guess greatly reduces the amount of water going to the barns.  Not really clear on how that system works.  Think it really just means the wells are working more than normal.

Then this morning for the second time this week the compressors to cool the milk have frozen up.  Will be putting some money into the milkhouse and parlor building to get more insulating and heating efficiencies if this weather is going to stay so crazy.  And since this is the second year of these crazy polar vortexes it has got to get done.  And to t;think there are people that think the weather and climate in this world isn't changing. 

Well they just called to tell me there is a new calf that needs to be feed so gotta go

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well, after missing the cows for over 1 1/2 yrs. DH & I no longer feel the pull.  Actually am cleaning out the dairy books & records from the file cabinet this morning.  Too many for one trip to the recycling center so will continue another day.

We have so much ice here and we have some flurries this morning but will not amount to much.  DH admitted how he worried all the time, especially in the winter, about the cows and equipment.  You will enjoy retirement once you adjust.

Still working on that one but it's getting better and I'm so busy with hauling mom, etc. I don't think I could have done it all with dairying.  To everything there is a season.  Good luck, you are in my thoughts & prayers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We got REALLy lucky. The outage only lasted about 2.5 hours, and the employee and the kids never went out. Then again, we are on different legs of the transmission line than they are.

I had that much time to think before real daylight. Realized the most sensible power source for a heater over there would be the storm shelter's inverter and one of the spare vehicles running at idle.

Unfortunately, I would feel it necessary to lock anything we put over there, because the woman has taken and wrecked a farm truck before, thank goodness here on the place. Fortunately, we didn't have to test any of my theories this time.

Trying to get a nap going right now. I need it, even if Winn doesn't think he does!
0 Kudos