cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

New discovery

So I volunteered to paint the trim on a house in town, bigger job then I thought.  So while painting I start to become a feast for any insect in the neighborhood, finally couldn't stand it any more (in shorts and tank top too) went to the store to get some bug spray and also something for the itching.  A gal in the store had read about using deodorant instead of bug spray...yup I used it and it worked!  First sprayed the anti itching on me then the deodorant all over me,  she said it was the aluminum that repelled the bugs and let her know how it worked for she had never used it herself, so if you need some bug spray and are out, give it a try...I choose a dial brad that was a spray on dry formula.

S.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: New discovery

Avon's Skin-so-Soft product is supposed to serve as a great insect repellent, too.  Hunters use it to mask their scent from game, too. 

Essentially, anythign that covers up the odors that attract insects could work.. Some sources recommend eating garlic for teh same reason, and feeding it to your pets to ward off fleas.  I dunno.... 

I would be careful about using an antiperspirant product on large body areas in this heat, though.  Even wearing lotion during exercise is an air-conditioned gym is too much trapping of evaporative cooling for me.  You need to be able to sweat freely, so be cautious. 

Also, I have always been taught that if you are working or playing in the heat, and stop sweating, it is a serious danger sign.  Masking that with too much sweat-altering product could fool you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: New discovery

Even wearing sunscreen has been bothersome in this heat. Sure stings when it hits the eyes. Ouch! Even used the sport type.

0 Kudos