cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

New driver's license...bummer!

It a rrived by mail yesterday. Openend it iver supper, sort of anxious to see how the high winds the day I went to the DMV had rearranged my hair. No worse than usual, but ehat hit me hard was that for the first time, I wasn't a blonde anymore...the examiner had typed in " Gray".

Really feeling that age this mornng. Part of that is physical, after a long road day. At least some of it has to be psychological, though....

What events have made you realize that you're not a spring chicken anymore?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
farm160
Veteran Contributor

Re: New driver's license...bummer!

I swear a drivers license picture is one that should never see the light of day.

Two things brought on the aging thoughts for me. The first came with the hair thinning and loss.  I got to the point I stopped cooking because of the shedding. Finally a dermatologist put me on meds which stopped the loss.   During this process I stopped coloring so my hair is now gray.  Best decision I made to stop coloring.  Unfortunately a few months ago on a whim I went to a different stylist and asked for slight layering in my chin length bob. She wacked it off to a short- old lady hair cut.  This exposed an ugly dirty gray in the back; whereas when it was longer the white from the top covered the ugly gray.  Fortunately it's growing back and I learned never to have it cut short again.

The second aging issue was foot problems.  I'm average weight (some would say thin) but run/exercise a fair amount.  Ended up getting inserts from a podiatrist for my shoes to ease the pain.  If I walk barefoot or without the inserts I'm doomed.

But you're right - it's psychological.  Some days I can feel old, but others I  can tell myself I'm only 2/3 thru my life journey and I've got to get moving.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Oh, FEET! Mike tore his left plantar ligament last November, hobbled around until the end of December, and finally gave in and sought out a podiatrist. He was finally released and we put away the moon boot last Friday. My right plantar is acting up now, so we womder what we are doing wrong?

The hair falling out around here is epic...it chokes the Dyson at least once every pass. Keep scissors handy to cut across the beater bar. I guess I would rather have gray hairm than none at all.
0 Kudos

A couple of things have me feeling a bit older....one is collecting my NYS pension. It started when I turned 55 a year ago. That was sobering.

Another is not wearing high heels much any more.

Also, my nails are just not healthy. I am doing several things to try to get them healthy looking and it is frustrating me. I just ordered three month supply of Biotin as a last resort.

I always drink plenty of water. My diet is rich in protein. I think they are just getting old.

Finally, I am exhausted by the time dinner is over. I don't do much of anything Monday-Thursday besides work. I just don't have the energy for social or hobbies or exercise at night. Many times i just dont feel up to doing things with the grands except on weekends. This is something that came on about a year ago. Making me think more and more about retirement.
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Boy does this hit home.  I am STILL  not well.  Another doctor appointment Monday.  Had a bad case of dizziness last week for couple days along with feeling like a truck ran over me.  Back to the bronchial cramp again now.  ENT next.

Those pictures are  impossible.  I have even gone after a hair cut & styling-still looks tough.  And in IL. You can just get a new one without a  new picture so you're stuck.  

Still trying to lose weight.  Another golden oldie moment.  Younger gals can out exercise me plus metabolism is better so they drop lots more even when they cheat.  And I'm not even doing the distances I did a year ago.  Depressing but at least I can try.  .My SIL had her hip replaced, last year & is going for a new knee next. Uses a cane poor thing.  Younger by me 10 years.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Oh, Linda! The gym is another place where I have been wondering if I am losing my mind lately.

Friday morning, Winn had a doctor's checkup, so I decided to run in to the gym, to get a turn on the elliptical machine. When I arrived, the parking lot was packed, which surprised me at 10:30 in the morning. One advantage I have in working at home is that I can usually train during the hours when most people are at work, so the place isn't jammed up.

I met an elderly man on the sidewalk as he was walking out, and just mentioned that I had never seen so many cars in the lot. He said it was senior time...and I remembered seeing " Silver Sneakers" classes on the schedule they gave me when I signed up.

About the time I got done with my ride, the class broke up, and I started seeing those folks filtering out. I will be honest:I was probably the oldest woman in the regular part of the gym...but, I still didn't feel I am nearly as elderly as that crowd.

There was a flash of "Do I look stupid out here instead of in there?" that went through my mind. Then, I realized that I wanted to get out of the parking lot before they all started turning around and taking time to make the two turns out of it into traffic.

After I cleared out, I felt sort of a " Will that be me in a few years?" moment. On the plus side, these folks were out and exercising, socializing a couple of time a week. On what seems a downside for me, they walked past a lot of equipment that could be keeping them more limber and stronger.

I hope I stay on that side of the fitness regimen for decades to come, but wonder if I am fooling myself with that thought. Like you, I can feel pretty rough some days.

For now, it seems I feel better when I work out than when I don't. At least this week, I dropped 2.6 pounds ( yes, the .6 is significant to me). I should probably replace my right knee, but am holding out for a less-invasive remedy. Pain is a lot what you make it out to be, really subjective, I believe.

Hope you feel better soon. Have you considered seeing a pulmonologist? That was one of the better healthcare decisions I have made for myself. You cannot feel good without a good oxygen supply.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I relate to all of this. You will remember I am older. I have decided there is no way to be prepared or to understand what older really means until you have health issues of your own. I am still in physical therapy and using a cane. My engery level is low too and I have so many things I want to do. And stress with church work and other volunteer projects I should be doing. Maybe the answer is to always live in the moment.  Some stress would improve if we could get the car back from the repair shop fixing the damage from the deer which will be at least another week.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

That must've been some deer! I have never had a repair take more than a week, from parts order to paint job.

Turkey, stress seems to me to be the difference between what I thought I coukd get done, and what I actually do. If I measure myself too optimistically, as to what I project will get done around here in a day, I am almost always dealing with letdowns.

Mike pointed out to me years ago that if I have a long day today, I shoukd plan on a slow one tomorrow. I wanted to deny it for a long time, but he is exactly right. It requires a rhythm, not back-to-back breakneck runni g around.

Last night, we would up working several hours on our feet at a fundraiser for the bird park. It was fun, but my dogs are barking this morning, and he had a leg cramp during the night. We both need a slower day today.

Ice and snow are approaching us in the next day or so, so I really need to run to Jenna's house to tend the cat, but he needs to get some stuff done here, so it will be a solo drive...might make a stop by the gym on my way up or back. Every training session seems to equal about a half-pound of weight loss right now. Kniw I am not burning that many calories, but it is killing my appetite, too!

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Allergist did a breath test.  Must have been ok.  Too much sinus infection.  Will see.

I was so good other than one day on plan & only lost 1.4 & that .4 added to my total & made it look better.

Wish a gym was closer to me.  The 20 minutes one way plus the $ stall me.  Walking is free so . . 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

There is no gym near here either although one started up a few years ago but soon left before I could check it out.

I will soon be looking for new auto insurance carrier. $7000 damage but it should have been done before now.

0 Kudos