cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

New school year

Has school started in your neighborhood yet? Several schools around here (central Iowa) started this week, even before the Iowa State Fair is over! I have wondered how this will affect attendance at the fair. Plus, for kids who want to work at the fair or show livestock, it really takes something away from them I think. Our district starts Tuesday. I am dreading it already! My boys will be in kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade, and I just can't believe how fast they're growing up. My little guy will be gone all day this year, and I'm not used to being away from him for that long. I'm sure there will be a few tears from Mom Tuesday morning! They are all very excited to go back to school though, so that should make it easier.

How are you all handling sending the kids back to school?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Contributor

Re: New school year

Our youngest son is now a big, bad Senior and all of us are sooo ready for this, his final year!  He has NEVER liked school, not even a tiny bit so the homework, studying for tests, etc has been a real uphill battle with him every year.  He has all his Math, Science and History credits so this year is Auto Repair, Mechanics, Computer, Business Law and English.  Not a bad way to end his school career.  For years we have been telling him, "You WILL get your high school diploma, you WILL walk across the stage to receive that diploma and there WILL actually be a diploma in the folder!"

School started here August 9th - way too early in my opinion.  With 90+ degree temps and super high humidity all the schools are having trouble keeping the buildings decently cooled and it sure puts a damper on outside recess for the younger kids.  The up side is that graduation will be May 20th and that's a date our youngest is definitely looking forward to!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
montmom
Frequent Reader

August 9th, that's horrible!  We start tuesday and I'm really dreading it.  Our youngest will be a senior as well and doesn't like school either.  She does really well but prefers to be home on the ranch.  We all suffer as she and I have to leave the ranch and husband/father to move to town as we live too far to commute.  So it's as if I am starting school each fall as well as the kids.  I always thought when I graduated I would never feel the "knot" in my stomach when school started each fall but years and years later it's still there....

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

And the diploma will be signed! lol. Our boy was the same, couldn't stand school and now he is 21,  went to carpentry school for a year and is excelling at what he is doing. We really had to hold his feet to the fire so he would graduate though.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I am dreading school starting.  We start Sept. 1 and don't get out until after Memorial Day.  Our summer has flown by.    Our hired man left on Mother's Day due to heart problems and is now on the heart transplant list.  My oldest had surgery July 6 and is just getting back to doing chores.  My youngest has picked up the slack for both of these guys.  He may only be 11, but he has done the work of a man this summer.  The kids are NOT excited to get back.  They don't hate school, it is just an inconvenience in their schedule.   I am not looking forward to "picking up the slack" when they go back to school.

As for the August 9 start date by another poster - it would kill me!!  If you start August 9, when do you get out in the spring and do you have a lot of time off during the year?  And, to montmom, I can't imagine what it is like to live too far to commute.  That must be a real challenge at times.  Do you think your school will ever be able to do some of the classes over the internet so that you wouldn't have to move to town?  Our neighbor teaches class in Alaska via the internet.  There is a "home school" type offered via the internet in our state.   It is always advertised during the open enrollment time in February.

0 Kudos
montmom
Frequent Reader

Sounds like quite a hectic summer for you, hope all is okay with your son and hired help.  Our 21 year old son graduated from a community college this last spring in Farm/Ranch Management and is working off the ranch.  We discussed it when he started (reluctantly) college that it would be good if he worked for someone besides dad for a few years before coming back home.  We really miss him and while I know it was the right thing to do, his absense is certainly noticed.  Our daughter is a senior this year so only one more year living in town.  I could have home schooled but I am not diciplined enough and she is fairly social and very active in 4-H and FFA as well as a manager on the football team.  She enjoys that part of school so it's probably the best for her.  We live in a very remote neighborhood with no other teenagers and our church only has one other teenager so public school is important to us.  While I'll miss her very much, I won't miss living in town when she graduates.  It disappoints me so much to hear mothers say they can't wait to have the kids back in school.  I live for my kids being home with us, working and playing together. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I once dated a guy that lived in town during the school year and on the ranch in the summer. The area was sparsely populated with many, many more cows than people. Schools have consolidated to keep minimum sizes for state aid, but that means some families are divided to keep the kids in school Another option is boarding schools, which bring their own set of problems.

Classes have been taught in this state over the public television network for many years for specialty classes (foreign languages and higher level core classes). It still takes money, which this state and many others do not have in their budget.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Reading the post about children in school brings back such memories. My girls are grown now and both loved school but I was lucky. My youngest daughter which is 25 and getting married next month would always throw up the first day. She did this the first day of pre-k, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd. I took her the first day of pre-k, and after that I let the day care take her. I remember picking them up at day care and my older daughter would say she got sick again Mommy. We always made fun of her but after the first day she was fine and loved going. Cherish this time with your children, they grow up so fast.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To answer your questions, graduation will be May 20th with the final day of school May 27th.  When I was in high school, graduation was the last day of school for everyone, not just the seniors.  Now, the graduation usually takes place about a week before school is done for the rest of the students.  Seems crazy to me!

They get several breaks during the year ~ the usual Labor Day, Presidents Day and Good Friday.  But they also get out for Fair Day, the Friday of fair week (in Sept), a week long fall break in October, a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, and a week for Spring Break.  They go the full 180 days (except for Seniors), but it seems like an awful lot of breaks during the year.

I can't imagine living in town so my kids could be in school, but I certainly understand why you do it.  I know of 2 girls who were and are "home-schooled" by taking computer classes with no parental supervision and who supposedly did all their work by themselves!  To me that would not be home-schooling, but it's not my place to judge.  Neither of these girls have had opportunites to socialize, play sports, etc that kids get either in public school or from a home-schooling program that includes those kinds of activities.

And I, too have always been the kind of Mom who likes having my kids home for the summer and who missed them when they went back to school in the fall.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Mine are all grown up now but I always dreaded the kids going back to school in the fall.  It was the loss of freedom from the rigid scheduling that I had to endure to get them where they needed to be when they needed to be there.  I just hated it. 

I loved summer with the late meals and bedtimes and, later when they were older, the relaxed curfew and all their friends here for the evening and overnights. 

After a couple of weeks I got back into the routine as they did.  But I am sure that I always dreaded it more than they. 

Daughter Shannon feels the same way about the kids being back on a school schedule.  Where DID the summer go?

0 Kudos