cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

No, Honey, 64 degrees is NOT warm enough....

It had to happen. Mike has decided that he has built his last fire in the bolier at Jenna's for the season.

He is even resisting my suggestions that one in the woodstove in the den would be fine.

I am okay with the bedroom being a tad chilly. You can pull up another layer of covers, right?

We have a small electric heater in the bathroom, so the icicles won't form when I get out of the shower to start the day's work. She used electric heaters a lot, but I stored all but that one, when we re-did the radiators last December.

Right now, I am balled up under a fluffy woven afghan, sipping hot espresso, trying to get my blood to un - congeal. Even in my winter nightgown, this is just too cool for comfort for me. Yes, I am a hothouse flower, accustomed to 73 degrees day and night.

Oh, wait! I think he has realized that it will be hard for me to reach the stove to fix breakfast ...he is balling up newspaper from the kindling baske, and ligtng a match! Now, I know how the first cavewoman felt, when her caveman figured out the cmbination to combustion.

Transitional weather gets us into this situation...it is a little more complicated than just flipping a switch, to go from heat to AC and back when you are woodburners. What temperature do you like to maintain in your living spaces? Do spring and fall create conflicts in what constitutes a comfort zone?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: No, Honey, 64 degrees is NOT warm enough....

Without me bringing it up, he has decided to burn the boiler tonight...since the wood is right there beside it anyway. Now, I may not break my teeth chattering them tomorrow morning.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have extra wood beside our stove too.  But I expect we will need it before long. 80's tomorrow and the Wednesday will hurt after so many cool days.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mike was griping about being too hot on the way to Va this afternoon, since it was cool when we left NC, and he had on a long-sleeved tee. There is a fine line between comfort and discomfort this time of year.

I expect that he will end up burning about what we have on hand in the yard, then the helper will move the short stove firewood from the sheds in the yard to an old corncrib, to discourage snakes.

Mike has started a stash of boiler.lengths in one of the old hog houses down the lane. We have several years' worth of wood for the NC house stored, so I guess he will do the same thing here.

I just have difficulty with arthritis pain when the house is too cool. It doesn't matter how many layers you put on, it is still uncomfortable.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I officially turned off the furnance last week but we are still using a small electric Eden Pure in the living room at night.  I decided that on the 24th of April I had enough and was turning it off.  LOL  Todd just shook his head and said okay. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I ordered a couple of those type heaters, as Nebrfarmer recommended, back this winter, but haven't uncrated them yet. We are talking about just using them up at my shop/ gym next winter. May bring one here, if cool nights linger.

He built the boiler fire when we arrived today, since tonight is cooler than the weekend forecast was, The stove in the den fireplace worked well yesterday, once he caved in and lit it.

It is just that he does what you did, and says he has reached his deadline for fires for the spring. That has got to change, as we get older!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It certainly has been an unusual spring here. I don't remember the spring flowers and flowering tree blossoms lasting so long for decades. Our crabapple trees can lose their flowers in three days. People seem to be finding lots of mushrooms too. I gave that up years ago due to the snakes.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We seem to have dodged them while pruning and cleaning up three yards this spring. I have one big rock-pile, that needs shaping up into the fire-pit at Jenna's, that I am honestly leery of, now that freezing nights seem gone for good.

Once I finish what we started today, before the BUG hit me again, I will get the helper busy on that. He basically dumped the boulders right where we need to set the base of the pit, with the front-end loader, which means we have to move tons by hand. More fun and expense for me....
0 Kudos