cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Not Again? Employee saga

Hard to believe but another employee has probably bit the dust.   But,  this one is going to cost us and the insurance company.  Fell down checking outside hog sheds.   Might have ruined a knee plus his back hurt too.   No ice, pigs didn't do it.  Just stepped wrong  and we are out of help AGAIN!!!   Tom and I will discuss it later but we will probably sell the group of sows we just got done breeding.   They'd be due in March.    Still need time to think.   Maybe the knee and back aren't bad  and he'll be back after Christmas.   But,  I don't hold out much hope.     Friday,  he got frustrated when he was corrected on something and walked away for a few hours.   When he came back DH  thought he was about to be chewed out.   Instead employee apologized and promised to take constructive suggestions better.    

For those of you new to this.    June 25th - Part time teenager left for the army.   In 4 previous months unable to find a replacement.  ( found an old part timer willing to come out and do that job after her regular job. )

July 4th.  -  7 year full time employee injured in a motorcycle deer accident.   Hasn't worked since.   Is cleared for "light   field      work"   in the spring.

August.   Hired a layed off union employee.   He got called back after only 3 days?

Hired a guy from the area.    He was physically unable to handle the job.   Moaned and groaned with any physical work.    (DH said reminded him of a cow in labor)   Couldn't take the heat.

Hired a younger kid in August.   He was constantly sick, couldn't come, sick horse, burying dead horse,  grandma sick,     Did not put in a 40 hour week during all of October.   I think the Combine did not run 2 days because of rain that month.

Now this employee   has been here 3 weeks.   He came.   We did just get caught up.  

We had hoped to farrow  about 90 more litters before quitting.   Without help to help with hogs.   We can not get ready for spring work and get all the hog work done.    This is made harder because  we will be switching from 36"  to 30"  rows.  New planter to buy, get ready and figure out.   Tractor tires to be reset.  

Better get my but back to work getting ready for Christmas.     Rant is over.   Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Not Again? Employee saga

You are certainly intitled to rant.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Please forgive my jaded nature...,but did anyone actually SEE this guy get hurt?  Very coincidental that he'd walked away mad, then got hurt for no really good reason a very short while after mending his mindset...we see this in our neighborhood all the time.  Riding disability or comp is a career for most here. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It sounds like the employee caused the accident himself by stepping wrong. Why should you be penalized by a clutz? Better get rid of him now by saying that he could have prevented his accident during his probationary period. I really hope that you set out a probationary period when you hired him. 3 weeks on the job is a short time for something like this to occur. He may be doing what Kay is saying too. In addition, he may become a danger, not only to himself, but to your family if he sticks around with his short fuse.

0 Kudos