cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Not a good country woman?

Smiley Wink:Guess you'd have to say I'm not a good country woman.  Finally getting to the flower beds.  Don't have many and that's just fine with me.

I cannot seem to find the enjoyment in grubbing around in the dirt.  Oh I like the flowers once they are established, but find no pleasure whatsoever in getting them in the ground  Don't mind watering, or weeding.  But   this planting is not my thing.

Before we had the farm my husband did all the yard work.  I liked that, but he rarely seems able to find even a few minutes anymore.  Kind of sad because I know he misses it and misses his huge veggie garden also.  He did get the hand tiller out today and do one bed.  I couldn't get the thing to run, the new one is not as reliable as the old one was.  And he and one granddaughter planted one of the porch flower boxes when she was here Sunday.

Give me an animal to take care of.  Now that I will enjoy.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Not a good country woman?

You are fine in my book. I do not think I have ever met anyone who loved EVERY aspect of country living, or maybe I suspected that they were lying if they said they do.  

Do not blame you for not "digging" digging...I actually got Mike's help for that part yesterday...bad knees sort of suck the fun out of planting and getting beds ready.  I've converted to many containers instead, and limit beds to smaller areas not. 

What I do plant is more and more perennials now, so as to cut down on future planting duties.  You may want to consider this possibility for yourself. 

I love the peace and quiet, but miss socializing when I stay in the outback too long.  This site helps a lot with that,. and so does my training routine.  I think it's fine to trade off chores when it helps people do what they are better at doing, or enjoy more.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Simple pleasure? Can you take over his dairy chores while he "digging in the dirt?" Using your talents wisely may make the days go better.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have no flowers, geese would eat them up...but as I recall Caroline Ingells ?? from Little House on the Prarie had no flower beds either lol
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Flowers were and still are a luxury to many people.   In a harsh life and landscape, I am sure that a small flower garden, with seed saved from last year's crop for the most part, plants passed along from friedns and family, too, was about all some women had to get them through the day.  How some of them found the time to work the patch is a mystery to me., 

My grandmother had a postage stamp of a small rear garden that was fenced in from cows and hogs wandering the barnyard.pastures that surrounded her home.  I remember being there with her as a child, and it is probably why my most favorite color today is the "cornflower" blue shade of what she called bachelor's buttons. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Most of the Amish women around here have large flower gardens.  They don't really landscape around their places but will plant many of the "cut" type flowers that you can bring in and arrange.  wonder if they do bring them into their houses.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Do they sell these flowers? It would be another income stream. I know of a FFA project that did just that.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I would doubt that the flowers could be taken indoors. That could be too much beauty to enjoy.  Here they have a few pink petunias around the house or one row in the garden. In this area, there are strict rules, girls can collect pretty colored dishes if they are kept put away in a cabinet. I don't know if they are used.

Amish women work so hard and I commented yesterday they always seem to be almost running. The gardens here are completely weed free and are hoed daily I think, at least often enough to keep our any weeds. I used to see very small children working in the veg. gardens and mowing the lawns. I have been told that Amish women have very high suicide rates.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is a very hard life to figure out.  Yes they work very hard.  Around here it appears that the women do much of all the work while the men run around.  Actually most of the men work out at something other than farming.

Yet I feel the Amish women have something that we English have kind of lost.  There is very much a sense of community among the Amish.  It is not uncommon to see many buggies at one place if that lady of the house has a special project going on.  Many hands make lighter happier work of anything.

Most of the Amish we know seem to be very happy people.  Some of the women are very shy until they feel comfortable around you, and the small children are pretty much clueless because they don't speak much English until they go to school.

I really don't know any of them very well.  Most of what I know comes from asking questions of the Amish gentlemen and his boys who have done most of the building construction we've had done on our place over the years.  They are very nice people and have always been gracious about answering our questions.

You do have to be careful doing business with the Amish.  They like to think they always get the best of a deal and can in fact be a little dishonest if you aren't careful.  You have to be very clear and complete about the details of any deal arrangement or they'll take advantage if you give them the opportunity.

As far as bringing the flowers indoors that probably varies depending on the Amish group.  Each are has their own rules.  Just this evening the oldes of the Amish boys who have worked here stopped by.  In visiting with him it came up that there are so many levels of Amish.  Many of them move from area to area until they find one with rules they can live with, and many of them leave the religion completely.  Steven said many leave, come back to get married in the church and then leave again although losing contact with their families doesn't happen very often.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

So true about the rules & levels of strictness.  We have Amish near us and they all drive black vehicles & use tractors, etc. and have electricity.  The one home I was in was very sparce &  simple; of course, no TV.  The other home I stepped into was brand new & simply finished but nicely as they were into furniture business and I noticed a very nice dining room chandelier.  Funny how that stuck in my mind.

My husbands relatives live near Arthur, IL where there are a lot of Amish.  The tourist area of Rockome Gardens is there but actually not connected with any Amish that I know of.  They all farm & drive horse driven buggies & farm equip.   We sold our bulk tank to one of them & they didn't need the compressor/no electricity.   There is one family who had a son seriously hurt in a farm accident & the public donations helped with medical bills but they opened their house & serve family style dinners to repay their debt.  Our son has been there.  It's quite unusual for them to do this.  Their very private.  Have their own school for the children.

I agree that you do have to watch some of them for honesty.  Don't understand that.  Yet, we have come to know a more "worldly" Amishman who has moved from the area to WI who sells lights which we installed in the barn.  He stops here every so often when he visits his family & I feel he is very honest.  Could have tried to sell us more than we needed but he didn't. 

We also have Mennonites here which are similiar.  They outbid most other farmers in the past for farmland because they could go through the church for their land.  Not sure which owns it.  Kids all go to public schools & dress normally until they join the church at 16 or older then the girls all wear skirts & put up their hair with a lace on top.  No TV but modern every other way. 

0 Kudos