cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Oh My, What a Mess

Jump to solution

We arrived home from our annual trek to PA late this afternoon.  We drove slightly more than 2000 miles in 6 days and interviewed over 20 farmers in about a dozen counties all over PA.  I was tired and so glad to be home.  We decided to empty the car and go to 5 PM Mass and go out for dinner afterward as the refrigerator is empty. 

Then DD and DSIL called and wanted to stop by for a visit after we went to Mass....she had been attacked by yellow jackets (30 stings) earlier this week...resulted in a trip to the ER.....I think she needed a bit of comforting for all she had been through.......ANYWAY (I digress)...

So we cancelled the dinner out and I assured Ed that I could find something to put on for our dinner when we got home....I made a salad and a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs....

About dinner time, DD called and said they had a change of plans and would see us tomorrow instead....no problem....we were watching the evening news and I served dinner plates to take in the living room to catch the news....

I should have gotten one of my nesting tables but was tired so I sank down into my pale gold chair-and-a-half with ottoman, plate in hand, when the unthinkable happened...the spaphetti took flight and landed in my lap and all over the chair....hot messy spaghetti, bad, bad, bad...

I don't think I have ever spilled anything messy on my furniture in my entire life but this sure made up for it...what a mess...use your worst imagination and this would top it...!

My chair seat has a removable cover that is now in the washing machine....I used OxyClean spray on the parts of the chair without removable covers ....I am amazed at how the OxyClean worked to help me out of my mess....I will find out later how the seat cushion in the washer fared...

Why, oh why, could it not have happened to the ugly sofa instead of my beautiful chair? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Oh My, What a Mess

Jump to solution

Just picturing it is bad enough!  Now you know why we use leather on all seating in this house, unless it's an easily-replaceable cushion. 

Oxy is some good stuff, so maybe your chair will survive the assault. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

After a trip like that I can imagine how tired you must have been and then a mess like that! Let us know how the chair cleans. I know my brain just slows down when I get tired.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

How many times do you sit on the ugly sofa? The more comfortable and beautful a seat is, the more times we will use it.

Good luck with the oxyclean. Did you use it in the washer too?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

I cannot believe it but the chair cleaned up just fine....I think my Docker capris are ruined, though! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Well, if you had to choose between the two, would you prefer the clean chair or a pair of crop pants? 

I'd try the Oxyclean on the capris, too. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

What a way to settle back in after such a busy trip!  Glad to hear that the chair came clean, Sorry about the Capris!  I think we have all spilled something on our "favorite" chairs!  Hope you get some time to rest after such a trip!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

It's called Murphy's Law!  If you had plopped down hard on the ugly sofa, not a speck would have spilled, but sitting down carefully with a "loaded" plate of spaghetti on your favorite chair...well, that's how it usually goes.  At least it all cleaned up good and I'll bet you get the tray out the next time, and the next time and the next time. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

I am still trying to picture exactly how the whole plate of pasta leaped off on her at once...did you strike your elbow on your way down, Soilbabe? 

My biggest chair-spilling problem is ice water, which I usually keep beside me nearly all the time.  It doesn't leave a stain, but it can really put a damper on your evening's enjoyment. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

It all happened so fast I don't exactly know.  I probably did hit my elbow on the arm of the chair on the way down into the seat cushion....Next thing I know I am wearing the spaghetti on my lap and it is going all over the chair seat cushion. 

Good News!  My capris (after soaking in OxyClean and washing with bleach) came out perfect too!  The only lasting effect is my new reluctance to eat in the living room.

0 Kudos