cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Old dog, new tricks?

There are all sorts of things that I see other people doing that I admire.  Our older daughter's horseback riding skills amaze me.  Our son's talents at carpentry similarly blow my mind. 

Youngest kid can remember ANYTHING...song lyrics, stock numbers at work...that one is probably closest to my mix of mental capacities.  She can work with colors in home decor, and help customers in a manner I could never remotely approach. 

I try to learn something new on a routine basis, even if it's how to do an old trade or skill.   This past year, I learned how to make yogurt, soft cheeses,. and soap.  

I've decided that I am going to get son to do the work with the expensive tile, but I am planning to make a mess with some cheap clearance stuff I picked up a few months ago for a song...if I play my cards right, I will be able to ride on his coattails, using excess thinset and grout, getting him to make a bit more then he needs when he's mixing.  That's the part of tiling I don't enjoy. 

I keep a list of things I want to learn to do...maybe they are among my "intentions."  Learning to speak Spanish is still on there...anyone who cannot get it with Rosetta Stone software is a slow learner, for sure.  

Don't know if you consider yourself an old dog or not; but, is there anything -  even in your wildest dreams - you would like to learn to do in the coming year? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Old dog, new tricks?

I like to learn how to do new things, particular how to fix things, and remodel. I sometimes assist people on the cheap, in exchange for them teaching me something new. If it is something I want to learn more about, I have been known to assist for meals, and gas money, as long as I can get my stuff done and don't have a good paying job going on at the moment.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

When I read your post, it made me realize something I hadn't thought about very precisely....

Fifteen months ago, when I asked Mike if we could buy that old country store building when it was offered to us, I hadn't even dreamed about putting a workshop in the garage part of it and a workout space in the store portion.  

I love fixing old things, and building things, and this old corner store needed some TLC.  Once we got the new roof on this summer, it has moved along pretty well...not in a straight line, but at least in a continuous one. 

Just giving the building a facelift is proving to be entertaining, when I get a few hours here and there to work on it.  For example, it has a big front window with a lot of panes, and I used up several hours here and there, just re-glazing that.  I want to see it with a new coat of paint, but have to hope for some mild weather, or wait for spring, for that improvement. 

Inside, the guys finally got my huge, heavy light table top set onto its base a couple of days back; so, now I can get inside and straighten things up.  My looms, a spare old sewing machine and some floral design tools and supplies, are finally in a space in the back room of the store, where I can get to them and enjoy using them. 

I was waiting to get their boots done in there, to give the new tile flooring in the store part a shine.  Once that's done, I can set the exercise equipment in place, and lay my martial arts matsin the front room, at long last.  My woodworking equipment, and some of Mike's old stuff like the table saw and planer, will fit in the garage part  just fine.  Then, when I want to build or frame or paint something, it is not a matter of doing more prep to get a place to work  on than it's worth. 

Over the last few weeks, I have been hearing a sort of name for the spot in my back brain: It is calling itself the "Restoration Station."  It isn't feeling like a business...in fact, I keep hearing "not a business, but a pleasure" in the same mental loop.  It just sort of comes to me while I am working up there.  I roll down my truck window, turn up the radio,  roll up my sleeves and a garage door, and feel some bliss. 

For the first time in my life, I finally have somewhere I can leave my projects out.  I never get anything done, if half my work time is taking things out and putting them away again.  It is like the difference between having just a sewing machine, and having a sewing room.  

I walked out with a primer coat on a cabinet drying two days ago, and can walk back in today, take my brush out of the cleaner pail, and start painting.  No worry that a dog will tip it over and ruin a good floor, or that the smell of the paint will give us a headache. 

I think about this, and have really gotten into the notion that in the past, I have tried to make a part of the hosue into a workshop area, and that was never going to work out.  Making sawdust is no fun when it travels into your living space, and you have to deal with it there.   

Oh, well, son is startign up in teh kitchen, and I need ot kick it into gear and help finish that...take care!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Sounds like every persons dream!  A place to do their thing and not have to clean it up for other things before a project is finished.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Working up there the past couple of weeks, for this project with the kitchen, has really made me realize how much I had been lacking this sort of space. 

My glass workspace upstairs is really limited to that, since the rooms are full to the brim with tables, sink, glass storage crates, etc.  I go up there to make glass pieces, and nothing much more.  Couldn't even get a stick of lumber up those twisty stairs. 

The more time I spend in the store, the more I realize we need to get the water working, and the toilet functioning again.  I use a lot of water in cleaning up old stuff, and hate to have to haul buckets from the house.  Also, we need the septic system connected to the drains and working.  Lots to do, but Rome wasn't built in a day. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

If you have a dyslexic chil

Teach them the guitar and then hand them a mandolin.

Mandolins are strung opposite of a guitar. So you play the chords backwards.

I bought one a few years ago. Have been playing/torturing??? a guitar since I was ten. Not very good but it is fun.

In 2003 I picked up my guitar and took it out on the town. Sitting in with bands, playing solo, where ever I could play. This after not playing except with friends since the 70s.

About a month or so ago I was playing a jam and the students from the Kansas City School of Rock were there to play. WOW! I played before they did their set. Mutual admiration that day. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: If you have a dyslexic chil

Very interesting point. Handedness is an odd thing...some studies suggest that lecture had some brain compromise during the birthing process. Mike was born left and his mom forced him to become right-handed...which was not uncommon back then. Our son's labor was also long and complicated, and he is a lefty. My father is almost perfectly ambidextrous, so I wonder about genetic links.... The great thing is, our son is a builder, and his ability to explode framing details and turn them around in his mind is stunning. I have always felt that the world was meant to be maceio of lots of different kinds of minds...if we all thought the same way, or saw from the same perspective, there would be no need to invent anything new. I worked with young kids as an educator briefly, and could see how brain function played out in the physical body. They reverse letters and numerals a lot;, but, once you took the step from manuscript ( printing) to cursive in handwriting, the letters strong together, so that they couldn't get them backwards anymore. Breaking a limb can perform similar magic with dextrosity. One other thing 8 have noticed, after more than five years training in Taekwondo, where we train both sides of the body to defend and attack with equal speed and strength: I used to be totally right-handed, but now do all sorts of things with either hand. This even changed my brain's sidedness...I have a virtually evenl balanced left/ rigth brain strength now, even though a test done about ten years ago showed me to have a strong tendency to one side over the other. I think all those training drills have worn different groove in the gray matter. The brain is a fascinating thing, isn't it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was a lefty and my grandfather, a lefty, made my parent change me. I have all of his carpentry tools, left-handed ones.

My son has ADD. He never liked to read a book but would devour repair manuals, parts books. Some teachers gave him a hard time while others encouraged him to read anything.

I learned to hand set type so I can (ok, could) read upside down and backwards. Very hand working as a part-time journalist.

Learning/playing music is a great way to help ward off the affects of alzheimers as it makes you use both spheres of the brain.

Playing guitar has helped stem the advance of arthritis in my hands as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Our son got an ADD diagnosis, too.  Not the hyperactive kind...just sort of off in his own world sometimes.  Still is, and he'll be 35 in July.  He is an excellent guitarist, and jokes the rest of the world plays upside down. 

Each of our kids has some challenge or other, if sitting in a desk and being quiet all day are the keys to success.  I am with the teachers who encouraged any reading at all, rather than none but the classics. 

I have always wanted to learn how to play guitar...if it helps arthritis in the thumbs, I may taek that seriously.  Tawkwondo is the best way to relieve pain in my knees and other major joints...no pain for several hours after a class. 

That reading upside down/backward thing is a very uesful skill...I can do it almost as fast as I do rightside up and forwards, too.  Amazing the things people leave lying on their desks, not realizing that some people have that ability.... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Piano lessons are a dream of mine. Want to learn Latin, too.
0 Kudos