cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Old dogs, new tricks?

We are spending a good deal of time at Jenna's house these days.  I'd say about 40% of the time, most weeks. 

TV is our main entertainment.   I don't want to subscribe to DirecTV here, as well as for what we want in NC.  Many of the shows we like are only shown on premium channels like HBO, and so cost a good bit. 

We can afford the dual service, but I just resist it on so many levels.  I feel that if I have paid for it once, I ought to have access to it wherever I go.  We record the first run series and movies we pay so much for on the DirecTV system in NC. 

Also, I am trying not to have too much TV for us to watch...we need to do other suff, especially here in VA.  We have made a pact to minimize monthly bills here, at least for now. 

Trying to strike a happy medium, I bought a $60 Roku HD box and a $15 HDMI cable at Target last week.  With my unlimited hotspot in the DROID, we have plenty of capacity to stream videos through it. 

We spent an hour or so setting up the ROKU today, with a rainy afternoon and nothing else we really wanted to do.  DirecTV doesn't support it for HBOGO, yet...maybe never will, but the amazon instant videos, with so many of them offered free wihthmy Prime membership, are worth the cost of the box. 

We can add Netflix for $7.99 a month, Disney for a few bucks, etc.,  if the desire ever strikes us.  Right now, Mike sees that we have thousands of choices, some of them whole seasons of shows we wanted to watch but they conflicted with something we wanted to watch more. 

Not a perfect solution, but a cost-effective one.  Thanks to Manureseller, I learned about the Prime Instant Videos, and ROKU.  No extra cost for the Droid, I already pay for Prime, and only a one-time purchase of $75 for Roku.  Keep your fingers crossed that it all keeps working well...looks good so far. 

8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Old dogs, new tricks?

Kay you should be able to hook your iPad up through your TV and a HDMI cable and through your DirecTV account watch HBO at Jenna's house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I was wondering if that is possible, or to use the Kindle HD fhe same way.  Is there an Apple to HDMI cable, or precisely how do I accomplish th magic?  I already use HBOGO on ad when we are on the road.  It works great.  

I hate to be such a dummy, but what do I need to do to connect the iPad to the TV...I am assuming it would take my sscond HDMI port on the TV.  You are the guru here....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

By George, I think I've got it!

Looked on amazon, but fpund on,y AV in cables, not HDMI.  Tripped over to the apple store online, and asked what i needed on the live chat function.  The tech hit me back with a link right to what I needed.  Meanwhile, I found the cable to do the same thing with Kindle HD.  COOL! 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Mike is sick today, so having the ROKU running is making him happy right this minute, watching a good movie.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Glad you got it figured out.  Some days technology is amazing and other days it's a PITA!!!!  I'm flying down to FL tomorrow and taking my iPod, iPad, and Kindle Fire HD so I shouldn't lack in entertainment.  LOL  I'm leaving my laptop home though because I only want to take a small carry one bag instead of my backpack. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You sound like me getting ready to leave one house for the other...DROID, Kindle HD, iPad...and let's not forget those cables and chargers!!!!  

I actually have chargers in each house, and in the vehicles...the apple stuff is so mich more expensive...proprietary beast that Steve Jobs was.  This is one post I thought abput making earlier tonight...where do you have all your charging hookups?  I have it all on one surge protection system in the family room, buts it is all ugly as sin.  

Is there such a thing as a nice looking charging station?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

OK. I'm super stupid. Don't have a clue on this lingo.. But I am intrigued about hooking up Kindle Fire to TV, is that correct? Where is this info?

Kay, I saw a charging station on Martha Stewart's awhile back so maybe check there. I think one was in a small drawyer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Itbdepends upn what kind of input ports your TV has in it.  Ours her at Jenna's has tow sets of AV ports ( that take the split red/white/yellow cables), as well as 2 HDMI ( high density media interface) ports.  You can look at the back of your set, the owner's manual, or pull up the " inputs" menu on your TV screen.  

We ar using HDMI 1 for the ROKU interface (cpnnection).  That left us a second HD port for an HDMI cable from the iPad or Kindle.  Amazon sells the cables you need to go from the Kindle to the TV port you choose...of course, I chose HD, because we have a Fire HD.  

You will also need to charge the Kindle while you are using it to stream.  Streaming takes a high- speed Internet connection, and eats up a WAD of your plan, unless you manage somehow to have an unlimited Internet package, which I got with my DROID.  Unless you have the Internet package that supports this much usage, at the speed necessary, it isn't likely worth doing.   

For us, the Prime membership that gives us free shipping on most of what we order from amazon, also gives us thousands of free on- demand movies ( nothing " live", all whenever we choose to watch them) and that is a lot of programming for free.  

in our case, I am getting this programming package via ROKU, linked to my amazon.com account, and will use Kindle at our NC home woth the cables that arrived yesterday.  i am saving our second HDMI port here at Jenna's for DirecTV Everywhere, which we access through iPad.   That is many thousands more movies and shows, which are paid for in our satellite TV package.  

I live chatted with apple store online, and asked for the roght cable to accomplish an iPad to HDMI TV interface.  The tech sent me a link to the right cable, which connects iPad to the TV and its charger, all at the same time.  I read the description, and ordered it online in about five minutes.  It is slower shipping, but should arrive this coming week. 

The only bottleneck is that my smartphone ( Droid) has to be here to provide the Internet service for  this programming to work.  I do not travelwithout a phone for emergencies, so Mike can pn,y watch thisrogramming if I am home, or if he wanted to let me carry his cell phone, and keep mine here to feed his TV habit.  

I truly wouldn't  bother with all of this, for my own TV use, but he really enjoys movies, and this is a pretty good alternative to a second DirecTV subscription fee for the second home.  It was really nice to have the amazon prime stuff this week, with it raining here for four days straight, and him being sick, too.  Come spring, he will not watch TV except at nighttime. .  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks for sending me to Martha!

I had about gone blind looking for a way to de- clutter the charging cords in these two houses.   I have been trying to think of a waynto do this with a drawer or cabinet.  The drawer idea here : http://www.marthastewart.com/265251/battery-charging-drawer

would adapt for a drawer, cabinet, or even a piece like a breadbox.  Only the drawer should need to have the fishing weights attached to,the cords, though.  

0 Kudos