cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

On hold...

...waiting fir a Verizon Wireless rep. Just swa the company is changing all its contracts this coming week. Worried that this will gut my grandfathered unlimited data plan. What I can learn online is bugging me, not clear at all, honestly.

I guess there are hundreds of thiusands of customers wondering what this will mean in terms of their service and costs. I really woukd miss being able to stream amazon here at Jenna's. Already have a sayellite workaround in mind, but didn't want to deal with it, at least until this winter. We don't havevtime to watch much more than the news and weather now, anyway.

I realize that I gave gotten really set on my ways. As much as I like new ideas and gadgets, I want some things left alone. Getting used to a new cellphone and giving up my TV freedom would, I think, fall into the " I despise this!" category.

Dang! What a long wait. I need to get busy in the greenhouse. Guess I will just mix soil while I hold...
0 Kudos
13 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: On hold...

I am totally frustrated with Dish.  Must find a better plan or provider. The charges seem to rise each month and the variety of shows shrinks or I should say shows that I want to watch are Very limited.  Any ideas. As I already have said I watch mostly news and weather.

What has happened to this site? Is it something I am not aware of like security or is everyone just busy?  I really do not like facebook.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Turkey, have you called them direct?  My mom's went up and I got them to lower for awhile anyway.  I am thinking of switching her to Direct TV though.  An independent came by to look at her system and can get a cheaper price for Direct.  I need to look at that.  He called me for her but I had someone here at the time & couldn't go into it.

We just have antennae but it's been slim pickins this summer.  Many nights there is NOTHING we are remotely interested on.  Those are the times I think of getting a satellite dish.  But I would probably watch it too much then.

At my house we have been busy.  But this site is really inactive.  Hope it picks up soon.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I keep putting it off as it usually is a person in a foreign country and I can't understand them. Someone else suggested Direct but that would be a hassle too. But the amount we are paying and the shows we are watching makes it much too expensive! 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

As for the site, I just figure everyone is strung out a lot lately...life is hectuc everywhere. The main reason
I get to post during the day is we are traveling between farms, and iPad keeps me from backseat driving!

The news on Verizon was good...the rep I got is also a streamer, too. He says the new plans are just simpler fir customers to compare with other carriers...T mobile has been kicking Verizon's butt, I believe. My plan is still grandfathered, so when time changes and it gets dark earlier in the evenings, we can still stream our little hearts out!

I also have a DirecTV option...we have a second dish for the office...it is an ancient Ultimate TV plan...second dish for $5 a month. It is an SD dish, so will work with an RV mobile dish...for DirecTV it is called King Quest. May opt for that, and just move our office box here, since I never watch out there anymore. People do this in RVs all the time, with no additional charges. The KQ costs $500 on amazon.

TV antenna reception here is actually excellent. In NC, we couldn't get a signal to save us. TV weather is very ecessary fir haying, and with the tirnado and other severe storms we get, it can literally be a lifesaver.
0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Just remember when switching service providers (Especially Dish or DirecTV) they have a great low rate for 1 year and then it goes up again.  Todd and I were just looking at the new plans for DirecTV since I was complaining about our bill.  It's high but in part because of the NFL Ticket which I could never get Todd to do without.  Anyways, read the fine print and your price is such and such for a year and then it goes up.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Our bill appears to rise monthly with dish

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Keep in mind too who your cell and phone carrier are.  Since DirecTV is now owned by AT&T there might be some bundling savings if you have AT&T as your carrier.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

One other thing to do and I've done it in the past is to call and complain about the pricing and that you are going to switch because of the rising cost.  They will normally knock some off the bill for that.  I don't like doing it but to save some $$ it might be worth the trouble.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I have the unlimited data plan with Verizon Wireless. It is a $40 per month charge, on top pf my call/text plan and smatrphone connection. Not cheap, but I burn $1000 a month of more in data, at their new rates. That stays put.

DirecTV plan is pricey, but we do have a strange little gandfathered feature from an ancient joint venture they did with Microsoft, called Ultimate TV. It gives us a second receiver and dish, which we use on the farm office, for $5 a month. The onky missing thing is it isn't HD or a DVR...but, we can take that bix and pair it with a dish, or this King Quest gadget, at the second house. They are designed to use with an RV, but as tye rep said, no one would ever know....

I have just deleted our fax number mailbox. Never need it snymore, so that is gone. Next, the tollfree number that onky gets wrong numbers for some pool service in Florida. I am really debating whether yo keep Hughesnet or not, as I can do all my business functions with the Droid hotspot.

Gotta think that all the way through, though. My server that delivered the email through it went defunct without warning a couple of weeks ago, if I have my phone in there, i can use the computer for banking via the cell service, so may do that and save another $70 a month. Mike knows how to use his phone to Google for parts and stuff now...tempting!

We dropped the Virginia landline months ago, and I am almost ready to do that here, too. Another one to think through. Once mobile services got to a certain point of sophistication, wired ones lost a lot of their luster.

I think going to Jenna's has let us realize how she lived worelessly for several years. Our alarms everyweher based on cellular combined cost less than a single ADT service. Going to swap the house service to Simplisafe, as soon as it pencils out to do so for the ADT early termination penalty.

I have let a lot of this stuff just ride, and that is just plain stupid!

0 Kudos