cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

One million autistic children

This was what I just heard on the news..the US has one million autistic children now. One in fifty, Mike heard on the lead-in...how can this be?

Is this environmental, or is it really an over-identification issue? Anyone have a clue?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Re: One million autistic children

I do not know how or why.   Haven't done much research on it.  I am still in the elderly "diseases" research.  A lady up the road has four children.  Three are autisitc.  I do not beleive that autism is related to childrens immunizations as some people believe.  I understand it doesn't always show up right away.  A young man just past away yesterday that was handicapped in our area.  I beleive it had something to do with when he was born.  He has a twin that is fine and a wonderful baseball player.  McCale showed goats at our county fair and would easily come over to talk to you even if he didn't know you.  He had to wear goggles, I imagine to protect his eyes from injury.  He had seizures.  He was his mom's life.  He never acted like he had autism, so I do not know what his handicap was. we have a couple other young men in the neighborhood that are handicapped.  One has downs and I believe the other is autism. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I do not understand these high numbers either. There has to be a cause. But I worked in an agency about 15 years ago that helped children and families. I had a contract to work with Social Security Disability. The director was certain that too many children were misdiagnosed since it was easy to label them autistic.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

This is often why I think finding the cause of a disease or syndrome - especially one that can be run and found or ruled out in a lab diagnostic setting - helps eliminate false positives based upon behavioral and school performance criteria. Children often act the way they expected to act...which can give a parent a lot of impact, either intentional or unintentional.

In the wonderful documentary "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia", the illiterate father's grasp of how to obtain Social
Security disability checks for his many offspring - all of whom called them " crazy checks" - was legendary. Intentional.

I have sat and listened to parents going through all the evidence of their child's "problem", with that child soaking up every word. It gets to be point that the kid is just a problem with a child attached. Unintentional (?)

I am afraid that quite a number of children who are just quirky could end up labelled autistic. Until we became able to study chromosomes, we didn't really know for sure what caused Down's Syndrome. I hopr diagnosing autism will be as crystal clear someday...perhaps a bit harder to do, given it isn't as clearcut a problem as Down's.
0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Munchausen by proxy syndrome (MBPS) is a relatively rare form of child abuse that involves the exaggeration or fabrication of illnesses or symptoms by a primary caretaker.

Also known as "medical child abuse," MBPS was named after Baron von Munchausen, an 18th-century German dignitary known for making up stories about his travels and experiences in order to get attention. "By proxy" indicates that a parent or other adult is fabricating or exaggerating symptoms in a child, not in himself or herself.

Some diseases/illnesses cannot be proven until death and autopsy. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Truly a concern, especially with a purely behaviorally-manifested disorder.

I had a cousin whose first wife had four children. Almost all of them spent several spells in hospital as small kids...she ate up all the attention with a spoon. Even before I ever heard of MBPS as a mental illness, I suspected it of her....
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

It's a CDC study.  The conclisiom is that the increase is because of more education on detectioin  The big jump was in boys with a mild case.  It has to be diagnosed by a physician;  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me, Jim. I hear part of a story, but cannot back up the telecast to get all of it, at Jenna's house, the way we can here.

BTW, i started that book your recommended yesterday, and love Caudill's cadence. There is something about the written voice of these mountain people, as well as Southern writers like Rick Bragg, that just washes over me as I read them. Thanks for pointing this one out.
0 Kudos
Midwest Farm
Veteran Contributor

glyphosate...check out Dr. Huber's stuff for starters

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

My pulmonologist expressed concerns about Temik and organophosphates in general to me on the consultation visit I had there a couple of years ago. You used to read a lot about the CCA treatment in pressure treated lumber products, too.

I have no doubt that chemicals have effects we will hardly ever be able to measure fully. All we can do is minimize our exposure as much as possible.
0 Kudos