cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

One of those days...weeks...months....

June is only two days old, and is already making me wish it was over! 

I waited past the holiday on Monday, to do my big grocery and errand swing on Tuesday.  Going that day allowed me to miss the fun of the repair crew tearing up the house again, too.  Of course, Mike called me several times to ask me where things were.  No real respite or excape. 

Started out with training in TKD at nine,and didn't get home until after five.  Dragged in a mountain of groceries, most that had to be refrigerated, and got them all stowed in the cool.  Long day in 98 degree heat.  I had rushed to get everything home in good shape, in cold bags, but the fresh fruit tray was sour when we opened it...had to have been bad at the store. 

Planned to rest and piddle around the place on Wednesday, but daughter and SIL needed a PTO shaft from Greenville, which is ninety minutes away.  She was worn out from haying and teaching riding Tuesday, so I volunteered to drive her in my pickup.  Good thing, since she slept almost the whole way home. 

We did take a few minutes for her to grab some maternity tops for work at Target, and she showed me where the Babies R Us store is down there.  Fun, but her father kept calling and rushing us back home for no good reason.  Then, he called and added stops to the trip...so, I guess it wasn't the time we were gone, but that we might be having some unapproved fun.... 

We fixed the shaft when we got back, and her tedder was ready to roll today.  All in 97 degree sunshine.  Melt your flipflops weather. 

This morning, I had TKD again, and a list of building supplies to pick up for the boys to finish the wall and roof repair tomorrow, when it is supposed to be cooler. If you have never tried ordering a custom door with the carpenter in one state, and the millwork desk in another, I would strongly recommend against it.  This is when a cell phone is a mixed blessing. 

I wanted to tear out my hair, and at one point just told them both, "Hey, I am just the chick with the checkbook!"   I think it all boiled down to the guy being scared of a custom order he thought I might make them eat, and my son wanting a door that fit a very odd-sized opening in an old, cinderblock building, which has no forgiveness if the replacement is one hair too large.  It was shorter than a standard door so couldn't be a stock one anyway.   I finally convinced the guy I was prepared to spend the extra $130 bucks.  In 2-3 weeks, when the thing arrives, we will see if I got the translation right. 

As I checked out, one of the guys who works at Lowe's, who used to train with me about five years ago, was helping me pull out my several carts.  He commented that we certainly use a lot of building materials.  I laughed and said, "Well, we've got forty old buildings to keep up, with people, pigs and horses trying to tear them down all day every day,  James!" 

By the time I got back to the loading dock with the pickup truck, I had actually counted, and it is closer to fifty.  Now I KNOW where the money goes! Getting out of Lowe's for less than $1000 today was a treat for me. 

Left that town, and drove cross county to town #2, to patronize a more user-friendly NC License Plate agency than the one in town #1.  Objective: To swap out a weighted license for that truck, and get a standard one.  Saves us about $150 for the renewal.  We don't haul weights or pull trailers with this vehicle anymore, so it was money wasted if we didn't switch it over. 

Now, I can do it online next year.  No more line time...with several vehicles and seven licensed trailers, at last count, I've done more than my fair share in those places. 

SIL swears by this office.  When I rolled up at 1:05, I swore AT it...since they close from one to two every day.   Took a lunch break, and found out this is the only town in this half of the state where my DROID cannot sync to the furthest page I've read on Kindle.  No GPS, no browser, barely a cell signal. 

Entertained myself for an hour in the 96 degree heat, and finally got the license.  Essentially took three hours to do what I should have been able to do in town #1 in ten minutes or less, but those people are such grouches. I guess it was worth the extra $20 in gas and a half-day of my life. 

One of those trips where, when you finally find the right street, there is a line crew blocking it, cutting down limbs.  Construction on every highway I've been on all week long.  Humiture over a hundred every day.  Grouchy husband.  Heat headache. 

Ever have one of those days, weeks, etc., when it is all just too many little annoyances?  BINGO!  Most people have a house and maybe a garage to keep, and a couple of vehicles to keep running. For us farmers, it's way more complicated.   

I joke that "she who dies with the most keys on her ring wins."  We are certainly in double digits here.  How many roofs are your responsible for, and how many sets of wheels?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: One of those days...weeks...months....

Hate to say it, but your day is about normal here. Nothing goes as easy as it should have or as someone claims it will. Gas prices only make thinking about the added cost more painful.

23 roofs and 11 powered wheeled items. Thank goodness all don't require plates, insurance, or papers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I think itis that I expected things to go so much smoother this week..I had Tuesday planned out as a road day. The rest were supposed to be at-home days. Parts, license plate, supplies, etc., got thrown in, and harshed my mellow.

Suddenly this hot does not help, either.

I stopped counting at 20 wheelie things, and fifty roofs. There are more of each, but I need a nap!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah, waaaaay too many days, weeks like that since FIL took ill.  Even here on the farm it seems to be one step forward 2 steps back.  Looking at the fields that have the corn flooded out doesn't help matters either. 

BIL took a break today from the remodeling-again.  I cannot stand to be totally torn up for so long so I put a few things back, curtains up again for the moment, & pushed the boxes of dishes out of the hall & into the office.  Well, it was an office.  Now a storeroom/office.  Notice I put storeroom first.  I can now walk through the dining room which is the center of the house. 

Been studying wallpaper books & cannot seem to make a decision.  Asked DIL's opinion but didn't get too far there either.  I usually do have a time making a decision on wallpaper and this time my mind, or what is left of it, is so muddled from "life" it's pretty well fried.  May just go to Menard's & pick up whatever strikes my fancy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

A plain white wall may be best until all the chaos dies down. You can always change it later when your brain isn't "fried."  What is BIL's reason for delay this time? This is becoming a huge hassle for you, not to mention a black eye for him. I don't blame you for changing the storage areas. Out of sight, out of mind. At least until you need to use the office.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Finally figured out why in felt sounder it all when in wrote this post yesterday afternoon. I mentioned a heat headache...I think it was actually related to either a virus, or food poisoning. I kept falling asleep...Mike had to wake me up to share what he had fixed for supper.
I kept nodding off all evening, but had a lot of stomach distress. About two this morning, I started with several hours of N/V, and it was a long night. Feeling very weak and dehydrated this morning, am just laying in. Decided to move to my porch chair and try to perk up a bit. It is very slow going....

The boys showed up to hopefully finish the roof and bathroom wall today. The extreme heat pushed them back a day, with our blessings. It is about ten degrees cooler today, and there is a pleasant breeze stirring out here. Wind chimes tinkling, finally got in enough ginger ale to have some sap back in my stems.
All this week's running means a lot of laundry piled up, so I am doing a few loads. I do not see how you have managed with very sick FIL and a dragged-out remodel, too. You are much nicer than I would be. I would be storing everything in husband's way, to motivate him to light a fire under his brother. Know that is mean, but believe me, it works!

I decided a long time ago to stop making other people's poor decisions my problem. It is amazing how fast a job can get done when the pile of boxes is left to sit in front of a man's TV!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

DS was up all night with the "back house trots" too.  Grandson graduates from high school tomorrow; sure hope none of the rest of us get it.  Today is really hot & humid.  Can't think of a thing to fix for supper that is light for DS & easy for me.  We don't have the air conditioners in yet so trying to keep the house cool.  Closed up right now to keep humidity out.

Tried to put those big boxes in his way in the hall but after 2 months my nerves are shot.  Still have the big stereo system & right now it's sitting in the way of the usual path to the bathroom.

Funny how, even when you can go around either side of the DR table, you choose a certain side.

Not sure why BIL isn't here today.  This is his last job for the house at least.  If DH wants him for outside, that's his decision.

Take it easy, Kay.  You've probably pushed a little too much with the heat, etc.  Your body must be telling you to take a vacation.

0 Kudos