cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Oprah's challenging people to go vegan for a week

Not sure how many of you saw Oprah yesterday. I never watch it thanks to a full-time day job and the lack of interest, but yesterday I did because she had Michael Pollan and a vegan advocate names Kelly Freston on. The show involved showing everyone how healthy a vegan life style could be, how tasty the food is, etc. I was okay with most of the content (though I disagreed and ate steak for dinner to show that), the lady saying how she was more evolved than others because she couldn't look an animal in the eye as it went to slaughter was unbelievable to me. A cattleman from Ohio wrote a blog post issuing a challenge to Oprah to visit real farms for a week. You may find his blog post interesting, you can see it at http://haley-farms.com/blog/2011/02/01/oprah%E2%80%99s-one-week-challenge/  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Oprah's challenging people to go vegan for a week

Also showed some of the beef holding, slaughtering and processing. I was astonished that it was shown, considering all of the prior press from the farm lobbies. I am hoping that the video wasn't used as a way to turn people to vegan. Television tends to sway audiences the way it wants. I also ate my chicken noodle soup. Vegan is just another "alternative diet" that someone is selling in a book if you get right to it. Everyone has a choice, but let me have mine.Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I thought it was well done. Appreciate Cargill showing them through. They didn't show every step. Even though the "reporter" squirmed in there, she said she's still comfortable eating meat. So I think it went okay. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I do wish she would support American farmers and ranchers as favorably as she promotes others.   

0 Kudos
Advisor

I hope some of these idiotic ideas do not cost some poor child the protein they need to thrive and grow.  I am sure she will be innundated with e-maisl and SKYPE messages proclaiming a permanent life change.  After the thrill is gone, it ownt' be as shiny a new toy. 

Veganism is not as easy as people make it out to be.  No milk, eggs, or even clothing or shoes made from leather, etc....a lot of her fans may make it for a while, but I doubt many will be converts.  I wonder how many will give up their $400 high heels?  A lot easier to toss a few cups of yogurt in the garbage than do without fashion.   Did they emphasize that aspect, too?  No more leather upholstery in their limos.... 

I used to watch Oprah every day...then it got to be about once a week, now it is not at all...I know some people think she is all that and a bag of chips, but if she knew everything about nutrition, she would have beaten her weight problem a long time ago. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I absolutely agree. And I love that Mike extended her an invite in his blog post. He's even started a Facebook group called "Oprah, come visit my farm" If you are on facebook, you can see it at http://www.facebook.com/visitmyfarm

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

They didn't touch on the fashion areas or many things that include animal derivatives (medicines would be a major component). And you are right, some sounded like they'd been to a tent revival. We need people who understand farming like Mike Rowe to have more visibility and influence if we can't have more ourselves. With ag representing just 2% of the population, numbers are not in our favor so we have to be smart on this. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, weight problems are not just about nutrition knowledge. If that would be true, all nutritionists and chefs would be skinny. Smiley Tongue Those that are overweight or obese are not always stupid or lazy. Psychological problems play a part in many people's struggle with weight. Unsupportive family members can break the will of a dieter. It takes more than knowing how many calories produce a pound or vitamins to lose weight. Figuring out what causes your actions that lead to the weight gain is key for many.

0 Kudos