cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Organizational epiphanies?

Have mentioned that 365 Day Declutter I started following in late December. It has really helped me to clear a lot of - let's be honest here - crap! off of my countertops in Carolina. That alone has been worth the effort to find fifteen minutes a day for the challenge step set out that morning.

Some tasks really don't apply...my habits with trashcans and my decision not to pursue couponing, for a couple of good examples. Those chire days have conveniently fallen in with my tax prep, so the " free" days were full of bookwork, CPA day, etc.

The challenge does keep one corner of my brain focused on making things neater and more user-friendly, though. i had been kind of bent out with Mike, over his mess in the garages. I hate to confront and upset him, but CRIMONY!

In Carolina, I just stay out. It's a standalone building, and I can stay out of it entirely, if I choose. Here at Jenna's, though, it is attached, and the house is smaller, so that some of my functions extend in there. I would go in for some reason, and his mess was spreading across more and more of the floor...I adore him, but he is a terrible piler.

A couple of months ago, we offered to buy our son's work van...he is totally living as a working artist now, instead of dealing with clients on home remodels. He no longer needed it, and we did, given the three farms up here, twelve miles apart. Stuff in open truck beds is too subject to weather damage and theft, if you have to stop somewhere.

As I was working around cleaning house this morning, it suddenly occurred to me that ( DUH!) the tools belong in the truck fulltime. We can lock them in it, and not worry about parking in a store lot between farms. Mike gets a rolling tool storage, and I get a dejunked garage!

Suppose this is because we never had a vehicle of this type, or this multi-site farming operation before. I am sure it's a given to msny of you. I just hadn't ever thought to put tools on wheels, until today.

Am finally setting aside a day this weekend, whichever one we end up down south, to clean my farm office. It has had hit-or-miss (mostly miss) attention in the last three years, while all of our life's worst upset has been transpiring.

I guess getting that lawsuit behind me last week has sort of broken the logjam. I told Mike he can plan on us straightening up his brewery/winery in the kitchen out there, daughter her horse blanket laundry in the bathroom has to go, and the big office area itself is getting the royal treatment.

Everyone's UPS boxes are getting sent to their final destination. ..no longer accumulating in my way out there. Mike has been warned that he is moving all the old receipt file boxes to deep storage in the warehouse.

Winn needs a spot on a rug, to play Lincoln Logs and sprawl in front of the TV, when I have a quick piece of paperwork to attend to, instead of having to squeeze everything in when he's gone.

So looking forward to backing up this van, and gaining this space.

My decision to log each 1099 as it arrived, setting it down on my tax worksheet, made this a SO much easier prep time. Need to start looking for other "proactive hacks". Anyone else having organizational epiphanies larely?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Organizational epiphanies?

I am not sure how to answer. I am going to file papers in the binders and have started. I try to stay organized.  The new program will allow me to record some expenses as they occur. I want to get the large cabinet with shelves back in my office but there is an issue with the door facing not finished which will not allow the cabinet to be moved.

I am shocked at our income versus expenses.  Looks like inflation to me. Especially insurance costs.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I feel your pain on expenses. This new taking anything over $500 to capital cost, instead of a repair, is an impending nightmare. First it was the 1099s, now this....

M accountant says the government figuresbit will take 82 hours to track this on taxes, which is $8200, on top of tegular tax prep, which for us is nearly $3000 per year. Not to mention, there aren't enough accountants in America to get it done.

Maddening, another assault on small business.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Turkey, what new program are you using?  I'm interested in getting more organized but not sure I want to get rid of all my file folders.  I did use a big notebook for bank statements & income receipts.  Very handy when I had to look up something to show DH.  But this Quicken has me buffaloed. 

When you look at all the Quicken programs I don't think it's very informative-just shows how they differ.  I need to start fresh I think to set up my categories.  This is what made me mess up this year.  Stopped at Staples while waiting for repair & they weren't much help.

Senior Contributor

I am just looking for tips to improve my system.  I do not want to name the program but it appears to be the same as the others. Ours had updated some things to make it easier.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Ths fall, when the old computer started making " that noise", I went to Sam's, picked up a new gesktop, and added a new wifi router. The printer got replaced earlier in the year...I really think because the router and computer were becoming unstable.

I set a target to start up my bookwork fresh for 2015. It as a hadache, because mor complex passwords were required, I had tolog in from a new dvic everywhere, which made me look like a hacker, evidently. It got done, and I am so glad it did.

One thing I am being very careful about is to generate only columns/ categories that correspond to the Schedule F. Don't know why I didn't do that before, but we live and learn.

My mantra on information now is to organize it by how I will have to get it out. I need to do this with more and more things in our world, too. Carrying that as an underlying principle as I keep on that decluttering challenge, too.

Thinking "where will I most likely look for this, when I need it?"...instead of just putting it into some random system of where it "belongs".
0 Kudos