cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Out of sync?

The really bust days around here the past few weeks, since we made the cattle commitment, seem to have re-set our rhythms. Mike would come in pooped from fence building, shower and eat supper, then fall asleep in his chair.

I have a list of things waiting fir me to do every morning, too. It has started waking me up earlier, which makes me fall off the sleep cliff earlier each evening now, too. Yesterday morning, I woke up before two, and never could really settle back down. I attribute that unrest to a stomachache, which bothered me much of yesterday.

That bad night made me so tired that I actually fell asleep for a while in the afternoon. Had to get up and go, but I felt wooly-headed all the rest of the day.

This morning, it was about quarter to five when I realized I was cold, and it was storming. My brain started working out the set and sequence of phone calls I need to make while Winn is helping PaPa for a few minutes this morning. Useful, but I woukd rather have been dreaming.

I really do not like being awake quite this early. Mike says that once we get 5-6 hours of sleep, we can't expect to fall back to sleep. I am looking at the clock, have had breakfast and made the bed, and would normally be asleep for another hour plus. I like to turn in about eleven and wake up between six and seven.

What do you do when you -ve fallen into a pattern that is out of your norm for sleep? Yesterday in the wee hours, I tried reading a free cookbook on Kindle. I need to get Mike to set me up for transcribing waste records, so at least the time is better spent!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Out of sync?

It is waking up at 3 am that I hate. I never have anything with caffine from late afternoon on now. It does seem easy to get into a pattern but I got out of that one until a couple of nights recently. I enjoy early mornings awakening at five but that pattern has changed too. When I cannot go back to sleep I find that praying for others helps.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have sleep issues also.  I took an Allegra w/decongestant the other day.  sure helped open my head but didn't sleep hardly at all that night.

Normally I have to get up & visit the BR several times a night and sometimes I can't get back to sleep.  Especially if DH is snoring.  Big problem there.  Sometimes I give up & go in the other Bedroom where it's quiet.  Eventually I get back to sleep and I oversleep in the morning.  Used to always be awake at 5:30 or 6 but on those mornings I could sleep till 7.  If I get up to do bookwork or any work it really stimulates me & makes it worse.

WHY is it you remember/think of all the things you wanted to get done or planned for the next day at night?  I can fall asleep deeply on the couch & go upstairs to bed and my mind says "oh no, just fooling, no sleep yet".

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I had two " bad" nights straight, Wed and Thurs, and then caught up a bit last night. I think Wed it was a stomachache. Thurs, I had been stretched very vigorously, and my shoulder was like one big bruise, since I forgot to take any remedy. Will not make that mistake again....

We are falling asleep way too early, then waking up well before daylight. Not our usual pattern at all. Mike was so worn out when pushing to build this big fence, he was just collapsing. Now, ephe's in the pattern. Kind of like living with a rooster on the next pillow.

I am hoping that the time change might help us re-set, but I think we'll actually be farther off on the wrong direction! I need to work on maybe making suppertime a bit later?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I hate that when that happens!!!!  I normally take a Meletonin pill at night which helps me sleep but doesn't make me sluggish in the morning.  My problem is I will sleep and then if I wake up I'm awake like I took a nap.  I can try to read to go back to sleep but that doesn't always work.  If I take another Meletonin that will help and if it's been a few days of interrupted sleep then I'll resort to a Sleepquil or some type of sleep aide just to get caught up.  I normally will do that on a weekend if need be.  I've found limiting my caffeine intake really helps so I only drink 1 can of pop in the morning (much like someone drinks coffee, I use cold caffeine).

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This summer has been totally crazy with the construction and all the changes going on around here.

So far Mark and I have not really fallen into a comfortable routine with the changes and both of our supposedly reduced work responsibilities.

Don't see things really settling down any time too soon.  I think this retirement or semi retirement is going to be a fairly difficult dance and negotiation before we get something worked out that will suit us both. 

As far as sleeping.  I think I nap all the time.  Rarely sleep more than 4 hours in a row without waking up, no matter what I do.  Maybe I should try cutting all caffeine.  Fortunately I rarely have trouble going back to sleep in the middle of the night.  Right now my biggest problem is I keep waking up just a little bit too early, fall back asleep and then the next time I wake I feel like I'm later than I should be.  Guess I need to find a way to fill that earlier time and simply get up earlier than I need to.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I quit caffeine when starting Atkins, about five months ago now. My sleep has been better and then worse in spells. I think it has a lot to do with what Mike worries out loud about before we turn in.

I got mad as a wet hen, and blew up at him yesterday for doing this. i had to hear him worry about something I can do nothing about...it is his job...and then sort of throw up his hands. I went off!

How dare you dump this on my heart to worry about? I will not sleep, but you will, because you have unburdened yourself now. Get the H out there, and fix it yourself! There are things I can do, but this isn't one of them!

Talked with an acquaintance at the gym today, she's 71, and her BP will not go down, even on meds for it. As we talked, she admitted that her husband does the same thing to her, then SHE worries. I give in to it too much, but, MAN!, did I resist it this week!

You will adjust to being less " needed" eventually. Start making a list of things you have always said you would do if you had the time...places to go, quilt patterns you want to try, etc. Life was never meant to be only work and drudgery!
0 Kudos